| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The dog that would not pee in the yard
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We rescued a cute little muttly thing three weeks ago, and since we got him home, he has peed in the yard exactly once: right after we got home from the shelter.

The dog REFUSES to go either number one or two unless he's out on a walk. We've tried putting him on a leash in the yard. He wasn't fooled. We've tried the spray to make him pee in the yard. He won't even smell it. He's not peeing in the house, he's just really good at holding it. But it's really inconvenient and when the weather here gets really hot the four walks a day are not going to fly with him.

How can we convince him the yard is a perfectly awesome place to do his business?

Post subject: Re: The dog that would not pee in the yard
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 am 
Smuggling Raisins

do you guys have a crate or kennel for him? crate training may work out for you guys.

take him out. give the order to use the potty. if he doesn't, bring him in, crate him for 30 mins or so. then take him out and try again. repeat. that's what i understand to be the basic idea..

hopefully, he'd respond.

i have no advice.. i'm sure more people will chime in with better ideas! good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:08 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've read that some dogs don't like to pee/poo in their own yards because it's too close to their home (den), so they kind of feel like they're shitting where they eat? Also, his previous owner may have only allowed the dog to 'do his business' while they were out on walks, or he may have previously been punished for going in the yard because it kills the grass or whatever.

For a few months right after we adopted our dog (almost 2 years ago), he didn't want to go in our yard, either. I'm not sure if he just wanted to be outside/exploring the world all the time or was used to life caged in a puppymill or what, but I ended up taking him out around the block every. single. time. he rang the bell at the door -- sometimes at 3:45 AM, sometimes up to 8 times a day. Gradually, I stopped taking him out on walks every time he needed to go, and instead just leashed him and walked him around in the yard until he did his thing. I effusively praised him and gave him treats so that he slowly associated peeing in the yard with getting lots of love and tasty food from mom. A year and a half later, that training has resulted in our dog hesitating to go anywhere EXCEPT our yard! He still looks at me expectantly -- "I get treats right after this, right? TREATS, RIGHT?" -- as he is pooping out back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

no good ideas, just saying that both of my dogs (which i got as pups) did this for a very frustrating period of time. especially if there was rain involved. eventually they got over it. we crated the one and didn't crate the other, and with the second i tried to be very nonchalant about it. as long as there was no peeing in the house, i wasn't going to stress. both eventually figured it out.
hang in there, those first few weeks when you get accustomed to each other's habits are hard.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We accidentally "trained" our dog to do this for a while, since we took her on so many walks each day. She would whine all night until we took her for a walk. It took a while (winter helped a lot) to get her back to the habit of going in the yard on her leash. If the dog is crate trained, take him outside right away. Once he's on his clip, it might help to stand out in the yard or walk around... then give lots of praise once he does his business! It might just take him a while to get used to your yard or whatnot, but at least he's not messing in the house!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks everyone. I too am grateful he's well-trained enough to not be just going in the house too...

I think my mom just wants him to magically flip a switch and go in the yard and it's becoming clear there's no quick fix.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

update: apparently, the dog just had to decide flip the switch himself. I was out in the yard talking on the phone and he was wandering around with me, and then just went pee. Treats and affection! Hooray! He's done it for my mom, too, but it's still like 80% only on walks to 20% peeing in the yard. Progress, at least.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:56 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

looks like the problem is solved now, but one thing I've heard to do is keep a bit of poop out where you want the dog to go. I guess they're supposed to smell it and realize it's okay to go there again. (which is why it's so important to clean up really well if a dog "goes" in the house) I wonder if it would work to put some poop from your walk in a section of the yard. Not that emptying a poop bag sounds at all fun, but might work.

PS: my dog is the opposite, she hardly ever goes to the bathroom on a walk, she'll go back in our own yard as soon as the walk is over.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

chiveggie, that sounds like it's worth a try...he's still only peeing in the yard occasionally and pooping on walks.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]