| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:15 am 
Saggy Butt

I've gotten myself into a terribly tight spot and I'm stressing to the point of not even being able to sleep.

My cat has taken to peeing on things. First he peed (on a pile of dirty clothes that my roommate for whatever reason left being the kitchen table - no idea why) in the dining room and my roommate and landlord (who is my roommates dad) freaked out and told me that either the cat had to go or I had to go. I told them I'd be out by June because I wasn't willing to give up my cat.

Then, he peed on a pile of dirty clothes in my other roommate's room. I've lived here for 3 months and since those are the only two times he had peed on anything, I figured as long as there were no dirty clothes it wouldn't be a problem.

Then last night, my roommate woke me up by bringing my cat into my room and telling me that he had peed in a vent. He then said the cat had to go immediately because he was "destroying the house." So besides from not having any family or anyone else near me who could take my cat until I move in a couple weeks, I have to have his litter box and food in my ridiculously small room. I got about an hour of sleep last night because he was crying to go into the rest of the house all night.

Anyway, my question is how do you get cats to stop peeing on things? He's four years old and was fixed when he was three. I can't have him peeing on stuff in the new apartment I'm moving to. I'm tired of having my roommates literally hate me because of him. Is there anything I can do?

Post subject: Re: Bad Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:18 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Go to the vet. Cats, especially males, peeing on things can be a sign of an infection. It hurts to pee in the litter box, so they avoid the litter box.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:22 am 
Semen Strong

Absolutely what Mollyjade said.

And no cat is a "Bad Cat" - there is just something going on that we haven't figured out, either medical or emotional and that is the way they are expressing themselves. You obviously care a lot about your kitty, and I hope this issue has an easy solution. Also, can you clean up the vent using Nature's Miracle or something so as to reduce the odor for your roommates?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:36 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yup, often when animals are acting strangely it's because they are trying to tell you something. The first thing you should do is make a vet appointment. It could be an infection, it could be something as simple as the cat not liking the type of litter, or the cat not wanting to use the litter box when it is not totally clean. But definitely find out of it's a bladder infection or some sort of kidney issue or something first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to check in and say I hope you got your cat issues solved and know whats going on with your kitty. One of mine, I'm not sure which one, is peeing on stuff, started a few days ago. Going to the vet tommorrow morning, but I'm worried, becasue I haven't had cats before and I don't know how big of a deal it is to treat a bladder infection in a cat or whatever may be the issue. Right now they are both shut in one room with their litter box and water and food, but I feel bad because they are meowing to get out. Its just that if I'm not watching them the whole time the one who is doing the peeing outside of the litter box may strike again. Its only till the morning, but the sad meows make me sad too. What is the course of action that any of you have dealt with before? I know the vet will tell me, but I was just wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vegetable_assassin wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to check in and say I hope you got your cat issues solved and know whats going on with your kitty. One of mine, I'm not sure which one, is peeing on stuff, started a few days ago. Going to the vet tommorrow morning, but I'm worried, becasue I haven't had cats before and I don't know how big of a deal it is to treat a bladder infection in a cat or whatever may be the issue. Right now they are both shut in one room with their litter box and water and food, but I feel bad because they are meowing to get out. Its just that if I'm not watching them the whole time the one who is doing the peeing outside of the litter box may strike again. Its only till the morning, but the sad meows make me sad too. What is the course of action that any of you have dealt with before? I know the vet will tell me, but I was just wondering.

If it's just an infection, probably antibiotics. If it's crystals or a blockage, sometimes surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

It was an infection, and now we've got antibiotics to give him twice a day. Ended up costing way more than I was ready for though, so lets hope this isn't a re-ocurring issue, and that my kitty feels better soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vegetable_assassin wrote:
It was an infection, and now we've got antibiotics to give him twice a day. Ended up costing way more than I was ready for though, so lets hope this isn't a re-ocurring issue, and that my kitty feels better soon.

Did the vet say anything about your cat's food? Higher quality foods seem to cause less problems like that. Ideally grain free and wet/raw, but even a grain free kibble is better than kibble with wheat, corn, rice, etc.