| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dry cracked nose on my doggy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My fiance's dog has always had one nostril that's dry. It produced boogers to the point that they would dry and clog up which means one of us had to de-clog once or twice a week. Gross yeah? My fiance had the dog for about 4 years before we moved in together so I took this to be normal. A couple times in the past I tried putting Vaseline on it 'cuz it was so cracked it looked painful but it didn't seem to help.

Recently I buckled down and made an effort to put on Vaseline 2 or 3 times a day. Doggy really hates it so its kind of an effort to hold her down (German Sheperd). Now a week later, its magically healed! Its still dry-ish and I notice if I skip a coating it starts getting worse but its way, way better than before and no over accumulation of boogers. In fact hardly any boogers at all!

Now my question is, when I put on the Vaseline she tries to lick it off which is why I stopped the first time I tried. But I notice that when she stops licking there is still some left on (a slight sheen, coating). But I'm worried that ingesting Vaseline is going to harm her. What do you guys think? (as an aside, I don't know if Vaseline is vegan; its an old jar)

Post subject: Re: Dry cracked nose on my doggy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:06 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't think it's vegan, unfortunately, but it shouldn't hurt her. There are those wackjobs who put it on their teeth to make their smile better or whatever and they're not dead yet.

Oh, and I guess it's not technically unvegan since it's just petroleum jelly, but I think whatever company makes brand name Vaseline is one that tests on animals, so a vegan version is probably easy to find.

Last edited by Fee on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

can you call the vet for advise? seems like something they could tell you was toxic or not over the phone? there must be dog friendly balms out there.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:09 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

A little bit probably won't hurt her, but if you're worried, you might want to try something like coconut oil instead.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I read up on this because our friend has a French Bulldog with a similar problem.

I noticed that some stores sell special creams for this purpose, but I found out that you can put vasoline OR natural oils like jojoba oil, almond oil, ect. Most owners of show dogs opt for using stuff they have at home ,it seems.

Maybe you would feel more comfortable putting something like olive oil on it's nose? When we put oil on the Frenchie, it got all in the cracks and seemed to stay there even when he licked. Also, it's just olive oil so maybe it's not so bad to ingest. (but I am not a vet so maybe a vet could weigh in here...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You guys are so smart! I will finish up the old jar then switch to olive oil, and ask the vet next time we go in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Well...most hairball medicine for cats is just flavored petroleum jelly, so I'd think it would also pass right through a dog. But check with a vet to make sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

A friend of mine has a dog that has this problem. She buy giant vitamin E pills and pops them open with a knife and then just smooshes the pill on George's nose. George is well cared for boxer who makes regular vet visits so i'm sure this is a vet approved treatment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My puppys nose is sooo much better. I can't believe I didn't treat this sooner, I feel like a bad mom. Thanks again for all the input ya'll.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]