| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gross topics for pets! Smegma
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What's up with it? It seems to be a normal process in dogs but most sources say that neutered males should have less. Party's neutered but I've noticed a build up over the past few days normally just in the morning. I'm not 100% sure if it's more than normal or if i'm just noticing it more.

There are a few worrisome causes but everything I've found says it's either a) 100% normal or b) something mysterious with a bundle of random search party tests to determine the cause.

Does anyone else notice changes in the quantity? Am I over analyzing?

ETA: In case it matters, he wasn't neutered until he arrive at farm sanctuary when he was about 2-3 years old.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Gross topics for pets! Smegma
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:34 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I shouldn't have ignored the warning of "gross" in the thread title, because I almost puked into my oatmeal when I discovered what smegma was.

Also, I don't have anything useful to say, other than Frodo gets this sometimes, and he's neutered. Sorry I don't have any helpful advice!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im afraid to google what you mean can you give me a basic description?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

penis dry skin/urine build up

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:27 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

arlo has this something fierce, pretty much every day. he's neutered.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:35 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Want gross? I worked on a racehorse farm where smegma removal was a regular chore. Enough to make EVERYONE blow their cookies. I don't seem to remember variations in quantity, i was too busy trying to block it the fork out and make money to save for future therapy....
(my dog seems to have variations in amounts of discharge type stuff [also neutered]. i asked the vet about it and she waved it off, saying that unless it was pus or blood or something to not worry.)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

both my dogs seem to get this.
one was neutered at around 2-3 (he was a stray)
and the other i dont know when he was neutered but im assuming when he was a puppy.

the "neutered as a puppy" seems to get more of this in comparison to the other dog but im wondering if it's because he has white fur on his belly so the discoloration is more noticable than the other dog who is all black.

either way it's gross. im always like "ew what is going on down there?!?!?!?"
sometimes they seem to take care of it themselves.

dogs are gross.

i would say as long as he doesnt seem to be in any pain while urinating or have trouble urinating and it's not like weird discoloration or pus or huge amounts then i am sure your dog is fine.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 pm 
Impressive boner

Male guinea pigs get it too. The vet advised that after they're around a year old they don't clean their own penises and told me a tale of one poor piggy who developed a nasty infection from it. She cleans their smeg off with her bare hands!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:08 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Wow, should I be checking my dogs for dick cheese? I've never seen anything weird.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

8ball wrote:
Male guinea pigs get it too. The vet advised that after they're around a year old they don't clean their own penises and told me a tale of one poor piggy who developed a nasty infection from it. She cleans their smeg off with her bare hands!!!

my first reaction to this was "this is why i have all female pigs!" then i remembered all the gross things ive cleaned up for them (though most of it was not gender related)
i have one longer haired sow that seems to keep having dirty parts :-/ i keep telling her to do a better job of cleaning herself but she so far has not listened!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:31 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My horse is overdue. I am waiting for a warm day, so I can use the hose without him hating me forever. He likes to let it all hang out after rides, and I can reach out and just pull loose skin flakes off, but he won't tolerate it for very long. But he also urinates just fine, so I don't think it's an emergency. Just a yucky chore I need to do, because I know my mom/sister did not take care of any of that when I was not home.

My sister's gelding also needs it done, but he needs to be drugged or he'd get dangerous fast.

ETA - At least with horses, it is just considered an annual chore.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:33 am 
Chip Strong

What do horses do in the wild? Is this a problem that domesticated horses get which wild horses don't, because of selective breeding or the way they're kept or something?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

it was for us just another thing to be obsessive about when getting $$$$ to care for horses (racehorses and show horses)- in both of my cases my bosses were probably having me do it more to reduce their risk for liability than anything else.
(When I managed the polo team and the horseback stable though, you can bet your smegma that we did not even look at weenies unless someone was having trouble peeing)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:36 am 
Impressive boner

LisaPunk wrote:
i have one longer haired sow that seems to keep having dirty parts :-/ i keep telling her to do a better job of cleaning herself but she so far has not listened!

(Sorry to veer away from smegma)

If you don't already do this it might be worth trimming back the hair around her nether regions. I have to keep my shelties' hair short around that area or they develop butt dreads.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im so scared to clip her hair right around her privates.
im afraid i will be there will be sharp nail scissors and just about to trim and she will squirm and then i cut off something important. her butt fur is kinda long but she kind of has a rooser tail so it sticks out so matting has not been an issue but sometimes her private parts are dirty and her fur is white down there so it's a little stained. sometimes i will give her a rinse or a wipe down but im too chicken to clip. maybe if i got my husband to hold her i could clip. hmmm.....

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm 
Impressive boner

It works well if you have someone hold them so all four of their feet at pointing at you, then you can take your time trimming her hair whilst being careful in case she wiggles.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im gonna have to try this. it may help with the dirty parts issue.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]