| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: So I stole a cat...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Okay, I kind of stole a cat. Those of you who are my facebook friends might know about dear sweet Buhbah.

Basically, we moved in next door to these people, who had a cat (Buhbah, but whom they call Black Man) and a dog. The cat hated the dog, but loved us. So he started hanging around our yard, coming to visit me daily, then more frequently, and then...well, he kinda naturally moved in (to the yard!). This cat is pretty small, and there are some HUGE and mean raccoons in the area, and we started to noticed that Buhbah was near-constantly beat up. We started letting him in to sleep (he seems to want to be at least a 50% indoor cat), and since we felt kind of guilty for stealing our neighbours' cat, I went and knocked on their door over many times, to no response (despite their cars all being there). This cat also seemed exceptionally thin, and our neighbours seem to be gone very often (with no cat-door/animal-sitters), so we started giving him small amounts of food, too.

Two weeks ago, darling Buhbah was limping horribly, barely able to walk at all. We were so worried, and assumed it was another raccoon attack. We went to knock on their door again, and they answered. Our neighbour informed us that a) "Oh Black Man's cool. He's a scrapper from way back." (he is not, he is terrified of LEAVES), b) their son just moved home with two indoor cats and Buhbah/Black Man hates them so it is "cool if he hangs out at our place", and c) "yeah, the other cats seem to be eating his food". Though we'd initially felt guilty about kinda stealing their cat, after this conversation and after telling our neighbours just how often Buhbah comes around and that we feed him and sleep with him and stuff, we felt like it was kinda okay, and that they couldn't really deal with him and were at least somewhat passing him off.

So lately, he ONLY hangs out in our yard and in our house. As I said, he's pretty small and we probably feed him the higher end of what a cat his size needs, but I'm pretty sure he never eats "at home", and he is definitely not a hunter. He wants to sleep with us every night, and we always let him now because we know his "owners" don't have a cat door and that they don't let him in, and when he is left alone outside he is ravaged by raccoons.

I don't know how to move forward with this. We have taken on Buhbah and our neighbours know that, but at the same time, we kinda stole him?! But he chose us! He is clearly so much happier in a house with no other animals, my boyfriend has kind of almost overcome his cat allergies, and we love him SO MUCH and want to take him on so he can be happy. I'm pretty sure he never, ever goes "home" anymore, and they don't seem to care. In fact, I'm sure they don't even really notice.

So, I mean, how do I go over there and seal the deal? Am I a callous bisque to do so? He is unhappy over there and we are happy to love him forever. But I recognize that this is a totally weird situation and I might be acting selfish just because I love him so much. He has really taken a liking to me...he rarely leaves my side and since I work from home...well, we spend an awful lot of time together. My boyfriend and I are thinking that, at this point, if we ask our neighbours if we can take him they'll be like "duh," since they totally ignore him, but we're not 100% sure and I know if someone stole my cat I'd be so sad and pissed off.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: So I stole a cat...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Its clear that the cat prefers you and is healthier and safer. If his original people cared they wouldn't have let things get this way. I'd say keep doing what you're doing and if they say anything to you about it (which it seems unlikely that they will) offer to officially adopt him from them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:35 pm 

Thanks. It's just so weird. I mean, I feel like they probably feel shitty that "Black Man" hates living there, but they wouldn't have been driven to find someone to adopt him or something. The situation we have right now seems fine, but we are planning on moving soonish and we're stressing about how that is going to affect him/if we are now his owners officially and can bring him with us! They never take him to the vet for his injuries, which is something I've vowed to do myself if it happens again, but I realized that that is full-on cat-stealing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

He found your wallet. He loves you.
(I have no idea how to proceed. I just know he does love you so much, and I think that the whole story of how much you've been taking care of him and feeding him and such is wonderful.) <3 to you and Mr. Vijita.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Never gone through with an "unofficial adoption" myself, but I have wanted to, and I admire the action you have taken.

I'm sure you and I share the same concern - that if you did approach them, they would refuse. They would rather possess the cat and neglect him out of some sort of weird pride rather than let someone else give the cat TLC.

I couldn't tell for sure from your post - have you taken the cat to a vet already? If you were going to officially approach the neighbors, might the answer lie in that? "We would like to take the cat to the vet. We would have put ourselves down as the owners. Are you comfortable with us taking guardianship of the cat from now on?"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How soon are you moving? I would leave things be until you find a place, then I would flat out tell the neighbors, "We're moving and would like to adopt Black Man. Deal with it."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm 
Semen Strong

You didn't steal him, his owners don't give a shiitake about him and abandoned him and you were kind enough to rescue him from being beaten up by raccoons. I don't think they feel shitty that he likes you better at all.

I'd probably take a possession is 9/10ths of the law approach and just keep him when I moved. I assume they couldn't prove he's theirs anyway. Its not a legally sanctioned transfer of ownership, but I doubt they care enough to try and find you, prove he's theirs etc. And even if you did, you could feign ignorance and say that you thought they had given him to you when they said it was cool if he stayed with you.

Buhbah looks like my Carlito, and it peas me off that anyone would just throw him to the raccoons like that and seem not to care about his wellbeing. I wouldn't want to take the risk of them saying "no he's ours out of pride or whatever" and then having to know he was at risk if we moved.

Last edited by Tofulish on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

People suck.

I hope this work out--he sounds like a great cat and he deserves you. Are those asshats the type to suddenly want something just because someone else does? Hopefully they are just uninterested, neglectful asshats and happy to let you take Buhbah.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

How about, it's a miracle that my husband isn't allergic to Buhbah, would you consider letting us adopt him as it must be destiny? It sounds like they are not that interested in him, so maybe if you focus on how much you love him and don't mention how they are neglecting him they might be willing to give him up.

If that doesn't work then maybe Bubba will 'accidentally' get stuck in one of your moving boxes when you re-locate!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

Does he have a chip? If not, chip him as yours and take him!

Is that mean? Too sneaky? No! All in the name of Buhbah safety and well being and love.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:32 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Me and Buhbah will be slipping through the streets of SS in the early wee hours of a September morn. To Seattle! To Alaska! To Ghent! When you move Buhbah will mysteriously reappear in your new home. You will know nothing except that Buhbah is back with a new catnip carrot.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My ex husband stole a cat once. But he actually stole it. He went into the guy's house, trashed the place (including breaking his television) and took his cat.

I think your situation is more like a rescue.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

mel c wrote:
How soon are you moving? I would leave things be until you find a place, then I would flat out tell the neighbors, "We're moving and would like to adopt Black Man. Deal with it."

Yeah, I would load up the truck on moving day, keep the car running, have Buhbah inside the car, and poised to make a getaway and yell "thanks for the cat!" as I squeal away. I mean, at least you thanked them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

seitanicverses wrote:
mel c wrote:

Yeah, I would load up the truck on moving day, keep the car running, have Buhbah inside the car, and poised to make a getaway and yell "thanks for the cat!" as I squeal away. I mean, at least you thanked them.

best.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 pm 
<3

I don't think you are stealing him. However, legally he does belong to those neighbors. (buuuutt, if they don't have any vet records for the kitty, let them prove it!) You could ask them point blank to keep him. Or not. If you are moving. Just take him and disappear. I also like the micro chip idea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:22 pm 

You guys are nice. I was sure at least one person would yell at me for cat-stealing. Yeah, I mean, Buhbah still has access to them if he wants them, and vice-versa, but neither parties seem the slightest bit interested in each other. We take good care of him and give him lots of love, plus he has our house and yard to himself, aside from the occasional visit and smooch from "Grey Man" (what Buhbah's owners call our landlord's cat Sim).

We haven't taken him to the vet, and if we were planning on it, we would definitely talk to them first. When he could barely walk and his "owner" said "oh no, he's cool," we kept a vigilant eye on his injury. Since we keep him inside most nights now, he hasn't been beat up by raccoons.

We're moving later than anticipated, so we can keep what seems to be working going for now, but I kind of want to find a way to open the dialogue so they aren't totally weird when we aim to take him with us. We'll be moving kind of far, eventually, but Buhbah is a pretty chill cat as long as he has a warm lap to curl up in.

ps...I know Buhbah is a silly name, but it was my pet name for him for so long and it just stuck. At least it is better (?) than Black Man.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:24 pm 

pandacookie wrote:
Me and Buhbah will be slipping through the streets of SS in the early wee hours of a September morn. To Seattle! To Alaska! To Ghent! When you move Buhbah will mysteriously reappear in your new home. You will know nothing except that Buhbah is back with a new catnip carrot.

Oh gosh, I had better find his passport.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Buhbah sounds like Buhbye. And I'm sure its what he wants to say to his previous "owners." Honestly, it sounds like he'd have such a shortened lifespan if you left him with them - no access to warm shelter or food and being beaten up by racoons - I consider you taking him a mission of mercy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:32 pm 

Aw, I should give him a happier name. But I appreciate your sentiment, and he just lept on my lap and started meowing like crazy at me as though to prove your point. Now he is purring and curled up peacefully.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:48 pm 
Semen Strong

vijita wrote:
Aw, I should give him a happier name. But I appreciate your sentiment, and he just lept on my lap and started meowing like crazy at me as though to prove your point. Now he is purring and curled up peacefully.

I rest my case. Cats are not property they are companions, and Buhbah has chosen you to be his guardian and his companion. fork your neighbors.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I like the name Buhbah, I always say it in my head like Bubba from Forest Gump, so it seems like a happy name to me :)
I think it is lovely what you have done for him and to echo what Tofulish said, it doesn't sounds like his owners really give a shitake about him and doubt they would take the time/effort to search for him if you take him with you. I think that's best for Buhbah, you and your man friend care for him so much! It's cute :)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:07 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I second (third/fourth/whatever) just taking him with you. Chances are if the 'owners' even notice he is missing they will just think he was hit by a car or ran away. By the sounds of it I don't imagine they are the type to put up lost posters, or even call the spca.
Or show up at the door in matching sweaters (all three of you, preferably homemade bedazzled glitter sweaters with a picture of Buhbah on it) and beg them to let you keep ittle bitty baby Buhbah, and show them snap shots of you guys having meals, baths, and attending family functions together. Basically look so crazy they wouldn't dare take him away, but not crazy in a way they would worry about his welfare.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If that's stealing a cat, I've stolen all three of mine...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:20 am 
Chard Martyr

ExpiredSanity wrote:
Or show up at the door in matching sweaters (all three of you, preferably homemade bedazzled glitter sweaters with a picture of Buhbah on it) and beg them to let you keep ittle bitty baby Buhbah, and show them snap shots of you guys having meals, baths, and attending family functions together. Basically look so crazy they wouldn't dare take him away, but not crazy in a way they would worry about his welfare.
Amazing.

This thread is so full of awesomeness and positivity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:23 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

I'd just keep on stealing him until you've forgotten you've stolen him entirely. But much like ships and adopted kids, it's bad luck to rename pets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next