| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: So I stole a cat...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:46 am 
Semen Strong

celyn wrote:
He could have worms if he's an outside cat and they neglected him, or any number of things. I would definitely take him to the vet before you leave. For next weekend, if you are going to be away for a couple of days, he'd probably be fine indoors, but you could have a friend come check on him and check his litterbox. At this point I don't think you have to go over to the neighbors unless you're really wanting closure.

Ceyln is wise. Listen to celyn.

Also I love this thread but it needs more pictures of Buhbah.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:13 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I love this thread. I feel like a movie could be made about it. The Epic Saga of Buhbah. Big hugs to you and your dude and your kitty. Buhbah has certainly chosen you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Worms! I didn't even think about that. I have so much to learn! It seems like Buhbah's owners have forked off again this weekend without worrying about him, but if they are home tomorrow I will go have the big talk with them, and then take little Buhbubski to the vet. There is a lady who lives in the upper suite of our house, who Buhbah is also friendly with, so I know she'll be able to feed and take care of him while we're gone.

More Bubs pics coming soon! <3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
little Buhbubski

awwwww <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

You are totally doing the right thing! I technically stole one of my cats too. I was drunk at a party and when I went to leave there was this cute little cat outside that hopped in my lap in the car and then my friend totally drove off with the cat still in the car. I went back the next day with said cat to return it, but the people told me he was a stray that they had been feeding but had no interest in taking in. That was over 7 years ago and we still live happily together!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I stole a cat once too (RIP, Claire!). Her owners moved and were "totally going to come back for her!" They left her on the streets with no food or water in 100+ degree heat (she was 13 years old at the time). We snatched her and never looked back. Her living situation with us wasn't perfect, but it was better than what she had and I haven't wasted one second on regret.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i have wanted to steal a cat a few different times, but never went through with it, so i heartily endorse this move and i am living vicariously through you. buhbah is yours. <3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

How was the talk with his "owners"? I am so intrigued after reading the whole thread...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50 am 

They're still not home! Ugh, the longer they are away, the more confident I feel that they have left Buhbah for us to take care of.

I had to wake up really early today because I'm catching a ferry, and Buhbah just looked up at me, all sleepy-headed, and he yawned while making the cutest squeaky sound ever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 am 
Semen Strong

Sending you good thoughts. Remember to take a stool sample in to the vet if you can if you suspect worms. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 am 

Thank you! I wouldn't have known to do that! I'm off-island running errands today (but Jay is here to keep an eye on Buhbah), but I think I'll take him tomorrow. If they're home, I'll tell them, but if not, too bad. Since we only have a couple of vets on the island, I'm curious to find out if the person I take him to will recognize him. I guess I doubt it, though we do know, at least, that they neutered him.

He doesn't seem really sick or anything...just very tired, and quite thin. His "owner" said he was around 8, which we refused to believe at first because he acts like such a kitten, but now we're more inclined to believe it. He has had more of an appetite these past couple of days. I think the hotter weather (we've had a wintery summer until recently!) is hard on him because he is all black, which is why he loves my yoga mat so much because it cools him down.

Sweet Buhbah, he's so cute. I'm so obsessed with him. He pops up in my dreams all of the time and whenever he makes cute noises in his sleep (frequently!) either myself or Jay jumps up to make sure he is okay.

I posted this on FB and a bunch of people commented on how "huge" he is! He's tiny! But I guess I just look weirdly small (I'm totally not that small! But my forehead does look HUGE!).

Last edited by vijita on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 am 
Semen Strong

Awwwwwwwww! You guys are amazing cat parents. Buhbah has the perfect kittylife <3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 am 
protein lump

jusy fyi, the stool sample is only tested for worm eggs. so if he has worms and they're not in the part of their life cycle where they're laying, it'll come back as negative. i know this because jack had worms and all his stupid tests came back negative and i'm on the phone with the vet going, "I SEE WORMS CRAWLING OUT OF HIS crasshole" and they're all nonchalant and like, "just bring in more poo and we'll charge you another $50 to test it for worms" and i'm like, "I SEE WORMS! I DON'T NEED CONFIRMATION". that's just a re-enactment of our conversation. it may or may not be accurate. anyway, i wound up just buying an OTC de-wormer and jack's fine now.

aaaaand because this thread isn't actually about me, i just wanted to say that he should definitely have his poop tested, but if it comes back negative just keep an eye on his little butt.

and good luck! he's the cutest and totally loves you guys and deserves to have you guys looking out for him!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'd say you just tell the neighbors that he's forced his way into your house and commanded you to love him. There was nothing you could do to stop him. You're his now and he's already packed up his things and is picking out paint swatches for his new home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 am 

esme wrote:
jusy fyi, the stool sample is only tested for worm eggs. so if he has worms and they're not in the part of their life cycle where they're laying, it'll come back as negative. i know this because jack had worms and all his stupid tests came back negative and i'm on the phone with the vet going, "I SEE WORMS CRAWLING OUT OF HIS crasshole" and they're all nonchalant and like, "just bring in more poo and we'll charge you another $50 to test it for worms" and i'm like, "I SEE WORMS! I DON'T NEED CONFIRMATION". that's just a re-enactment of our conversation. it may or may not be accurate. anyway, i wound up just buying an OTC de-wormer and jack's fine now.

aaaaand because this thread isn't actually about me, i just wanted to say that he should definitely have his poop tested, but if it comes back negative just keep an eye on his little butt.

and good luck! he's the cutest and totally loves you guys and deserves to have you guys looking out for him!

Thank you so much for the information! I've never had a cat companion before and I really appreciate all these tips. I haven't seen any worms and we pretty much stare at Buhbah all day long...but I will take him in, with a stool sample.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

This is one of the best threads ever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:12 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

esme wrote:

Do you guys not just give your cats a worming tablet when you suspect worms? My vet wouldn't even think about testing poop unless there were problems after the animals has been wormed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 pm 

Taking Buhbubski to see his vet tomorrow. I'm kind of too tired to recount what happened with the neighbours, but I'll fill you guys in tomorrow. It's fine, just awkward. I think he might be officially ours, but I'm not sure if that will be confirmed until we actually move away from these people.

I was the major cat-stealer in this family before, but Jay came back from a trip to the bigger island with fancy organic wet food, so he is just as much a thief as I am now.

Buhbah is cute as ever. Rolling around in the grass purring.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:05 pm 
Semen Strong

fezza wrote:
Do you guys not just give your cats a worming tablet when you suspect worms? My vet wouldn't even think about testing poop unless there were problems after the animals has been wormed.

For us its always been that the vet tests a stool sample and then gives a dewormer. But with the feral cats we've had spayed/neutered, they check for worms and administer the dewormer if they see them

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

here in Germany, we do as Fezza has said as well.. just pop those tablets if it's an outdoor cat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:09 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Tofulish wrote:
fezza wrote:

For us its always been that the vet tests a stool sample and then gives a dewormer. But with the feral cats we've had spayed/neutered, they check for worms and administer the dewormer if they see them

I assume there's a reason for that, rather than just overkill! We tend to just use a comprehensive wormer here that should sort most things out and keep an eye out for any coughing, bloating etc. We would worm regularly too with outdoor animals, to reduce their risk.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:48 am 
Keepin' It Seal

What a lovely thread! He is most definitely yours. At this point I'd take him even if they said no. They clearly wouldn't miss him much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:00 pm 
Dead by dawn

joyfulgirl wrote:
At this point I'd take him even if they said no.

Indeed! So far, there's been no cat stealing. If you're going to wrack yourself with guilt over stealing Buhbah, ya might as well actually steal him! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:42 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Cant wait to find out what happened with the neighbors lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

It's not stealing if Buhbah chose you. Enjoy your new friend guilt-free, it sounds like you deserve each other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next