| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mice
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

So... there are some mice in my house, unfortunately not of the domesticated variety. They're adorable and everything, but they kind of have to go because they're unhygienic and they make annoying noises that keep me awake at night!

Obviously I don't want to kill them so what are the most effective humane methods of keeping them at bay?

Post subject: Re: Mice
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ugh, we have mice on our back porch. they are ripping up the couch i have out there. i wouldn't mind except for it is attracting a cat onto the porch, who has now pissed on the couch and has not chased the mice away. My dog is not interested in continuing the chain, so maybe i need to borrow a jaguar or something. (sorry, nothing practical. we have tried to block where we think they're going with their couch foam, but if i block the hole they can just go around on the other side of the wall-- our porch is open, not enclosed.) I've heard mint helps but they literally have to go through a mint plant to get onto the porch and it sure isn't stopping them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

they make traps that don't kill - like item# B000YFA7HW at amazon - then you can re-locate them to somewhere far away from your house.

or maybe those ultrasonic things - like item# B000FZ1KC2 at amazon - never tried them, but they've been around a long time so that makes me think they might actually work

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Chuck Palahniuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My cats are ex-farm cats, and since they moved in I haven't had a mouse problem. In my old student house, we used to get dirty ferret bedding off friends who kept ferrets as pets and shove it down under floorboards and any spaces mice and rats could get in, as apparently the smell of predators keeps them at bay somewhat.

(Note: I'm assuming that you're already keeping all your food in the house in mouse-proof containers, and keeping crumbs and food scraps out of mousey reach to not encourage them into your home, and that you've taken steps to block mouse holes)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There's a variety of humane mouse traps on the market and they work pretty well if you bait them with peanut butter. We played catch and release one summer and let about 6 or so mice go in a field near our house. Just have to make sure you check the traps daily or sometimes even twice a day. The little guys won't last too long in the traps so you want to make sure you get them released quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... mouse+trap

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yeah, we had a sort of mouse aggregation trap for a while. It was a plastic box with a tunnel through one side and a spring-loaded door thingy that would deposit the mice in a sealed chamber. We'd set it up in the evening, baited with cookies, and in the morning we had six or eight mice hanging out in there looking sheepish. We'd take them to a vacant lot a little way down the street and let them go, and repeat the next day. Eventually they stopped showing up.

Last time we had a mouse problem at a workplace, the exterminator came through and put down sticky mouse traps. I might have accidentally knocked a single sheet of paper off my desk onto the one in my office, though, entirely covering the sticky part, so it didn't catch anything. Oh well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

solipsistnation wrote:
Last time we had a mouse problem at a workplace, the exterminator came through and put down sticky mouse traps. I might have accidentally knocked a single sheet of paper off my desk onto the one in my office, though, entirely covering the sticky part, so it didn't catch anything. Oh well.

We really need like buttons! LIKE

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We've had mouse problems in our current house after we moved in. It took us a few months to find every little hole because this is an old house with holes everywhere. We used friendly traps to catch them and release them in a huge woody area away from here. We caught so many I lost count and it really didn't seem to get rid of the problem. The only thing that helped was to find every little hole and fill it, inside the house and out. We live in the city center so they probably just moved next door now, but they're not here anymore.

And please stay away from the sticky traps, they're the most inhumane way of killing them I think, worse than the snap traps where at least they get killed in one hit (well most of the time).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yes, Solkiki I agree. The only real way we stopped them from coming in our house was to find and fill the holes/cracks in our foundation where they were getting in.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]