| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pet Rent is ridiculous
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I tried to sneak my cat into my new apartment under the radar and my building found out today during their annual inspection, aka invasion of any semblance of privacy for an apartment dweller. So now I'm forced to pay a ridiculous $600 deposit, only $300 of which id non refundable, as well as $20 monthly pet rent. I realize some pets are destructive; mine is not. Forking ridiculousness.

Post subject: Re: Pet Rent is ridiculous
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh man, i posted about this somewhere else before. it sucks. we had to pay a $500 deposit, only $250 is refundable + $25 a month. bleh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Where I lived at college, it was $50, and rent was not that expensive there!

Luckily, I snuck Molly in with the "tiny bird in a cage" trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:10 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

My last place it was $1500, but it was totally refundable and no monthly fee. Still, not many people have that up front. My current place has no pet rent or pet deposit, and it totally blew my mind. I said more than once, "I have 4 cats, does that affect anything" and he was like, "Nope! We are good to go." This is the first place I've stayed (of 7) that had no pet-related expenses.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

For us it was $300, nonrefundable on top of our regular $300 nonrefundable deposit.

I know that sounds insane but this was pretty much the only apartment we could find that was in any stretch of the imagination nice. Rural living sucks.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm sorry to everyone else that's experienced this! It makes me mad that irresponsible pet owners have ruined it for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:20 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I honestly think it's probably the apt complex being dicks, not that so many pets mess things up. We have never gotten our pet deposit back and we leave our Apts in great shape. Not to mention why you need a monthly pet rent on top of a huge deposit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:07 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Have you checked with the tenancy board? I know here in NS pet rent/fees are illegal, so check your local laws or legal aid. Enforcing that law might be difficult/time consuming and ultimately not put you in a great position with the complex. They also have restrictions on when they can come by, inspections aren't typically allowed here (although it is the great white north) and they need 24 hour notice before stopping by.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:38 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I am feeling this pain right now. My cats are in my current place under the radar, but I prefer not to do that (specifically because it's annoying to both me and them to move them around if I need something fixed or there is an inspection). All the places I'm looking at in Austin are a minimum of $250 (PER PET, great...I have two cats) and mostly is nonrefundable, and a lot of them have pet rent ($15-25) on top of that. Ridiculous.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:34 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Our deposit was 1 month rent + $200 for the cat for a total of $975 up front. Then we got a dog and he is an additional $400 deposit. At least our landlord is letting us pay that in 2 installments. It's all refundable, but really making our budget tight the next several months because he originally told us it could be paid over 4 months which was doable for us. It does suck though, because we're fixing anything they do wrong anyway without bothering him (replacing a window screen George ate, replacing/fixing blinds that George broke and Benjamin ate the cords off of). My first place I lived with Benny didn't have pet rent, but they also had pets allowed only on a verbal agreement so they could kick you out if they wanted and you'd have no recourse...my second place was an extra $50 a month plus $200 deposit, and the place before this was just the $200 deposit, which we got back.

It is ridiculous though. They're pretty good pets and we're responsible so we fix what they do, just like we clean the refrigerator or we would fix something we broke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I kind of understand the couple hundred dollar fee (they probably pay someone for extra services when you move like flea treatment, etc. just in case) and deposit, but the monthly rates just feel like they're ripping me off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Having worked in property management we did see a lot of pet damage - mostly from cats - edges and corners of carpeting destroyed, window screens destroyed, and sadly loads of cat urine in carpets requiring the whole place to be reaccepted and the floor under that treated. You guys are probably all lovely pet owners but the crappy few ruined it for the rest. :/ Having said that I don't understand why any of the pet deposit would be non-refundable - that's really crappy. We would do a move-out inspection with the renter and if the place was in nice condition you would get all your security deposits back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have no problem with a deposit, but what is the purpose of the monthly extra rent? That just seems like gouging.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:30 am 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I have no problem with a deposit, but what is the purpose of the monthly extra rent? That just seems like gouging.

You're right, it basically is. I suppose you could say it helped up to keep track of number of pets in apartments. If there was no pet rent and it was a free for all in a large apartment complex you would definitely end up with some dirty hoarder 10 cat people. We also had a size limit on dogs and a max 1 dog or 2 cats per apt rule. Once you get a LOT of pets in a small apartment things can get dirty and destroyed fast. Again, I'm sure the person here with 4 cats keeps a clean house, but you have to imagine the worst messiest most uncaring pet owners who don't give a fork and have no respect for the place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 am 

erynne936 wrote:
Having worked in property management we did see a lot of pet damage - mostly from cats - edges and corners of carpeting destroyed, window screens destroyed, and sadly loads of cat urine in carpets requiring the whole place to be reaccepted and the floor under that treated. You guys are probably all lovely pet owners but the crappy few ruined it for the rest. :/ Having said that I don't understand why any of the pet deposit would be non-refundable - that's really crappy. We would do a move-out inspection with the renter and if the place was in nice condition you would get all your security deposits back.

Is there no edit post on here? Didn't there used to be? Or do I just need more coffee?
This should say re-carpeted, not reaccepted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Most places around me charge a non-refundable $600-800 pet deposit for two pets, and half of them won't even let you have a cat. My husband and I lucked out that the place we moved into was having a moving special so we didn't have to pay any pet deposits. They are really pretty common, but saying that the non-refundable pet deposit does go to pet damage your pets do to your house, and they don't take that out of your refundable move in deposit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:04 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My new apartment is $50 a month pet rent and a $500 pet deposit (I don't remember if it's refundable or not). A large complex a few blocks away charges $150 a month pet rent for each pet! My last apartment had a 2 month deposit with no pet rent and no pet deposit, but the landlord was well known for blaming pets for scratching the hardwood floors and took thousands out of the deposit to "fix" them when people with animals moved out.