| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cat hernia surgery
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:00 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So my kitten went in to get neutered last week on the 8th, and while he was under the vet fixed a hernia that I had asked him about. All seemed fine until today, but now the area seems very swollen and the hernia seems larger than before. The cat seems unaffected, behaviour wise, but I am scared, and I don't know how common this is. I want to bring him back to the vet tommorow, but right now I am so mad that the supposedly good vet in town did something that may hurt my kitty. Anyone know anything about these things, or have similar experiences?

Post subject: Re: cat hernia surgery
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 pm 

One of the stiches inside did pull out and some misplaced abdominal fat is what is making the bump. Cat must go back to the vet thursday, but I am nervous about asking them to try again, since it seems like a lot of trauma for this kitten. I also don't think that I should have to pay for them to try again, since it may be their mistake, but they got loud with me when I tried to say something about that, and implied that it was my fault since they assumed that he hadn't been kept still and stuff like I was supposed to do, which I did. So now I'm scared for the amount of stress this is on the cat to be operated on again and I don't have the money for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm sorry that I don't have any helpful advice, but sending good thoughts to you and your kitten!
You could always take him to another vet for a second opinion, but then you will likely have the regular fee to see the vet and another potential surgery as well, so might not be worth it. It's awful that the poor guy has to go back, but there isn't much point in trying to argue with the vet on money as there is no way to prove if it was vet-caused or if the kitten did it to himself (he may have picked at the stitches or ran around a bit at night). You can always ask the vet about it when you go in. Sorry I'm not much more help!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, sorry for the stress but there's really no way of knowing what caused it. It sounds like a bit of unfortunate misadventure post surgery and no one's fault per se.

Hopefully they will give you a small break on the price. I had to return my kitty to the vet recently to get a cyst removed from his face and they did dental surgery on him only two months ago and I forgot to mention the lump (which was only a small pimple two months ago) and they didn't notice it either even though the lump was inches away from the dental surgical site (it was on his cheek). Anyhoo, I took him back this week to have it removed and noticed they didn't charge me for a lot of the usual stuff, just strictly material to perform the operation (no consultation fee, no boarding fee, etc.) which was very nice of them, probably because I just dropped a bundle in there for the dental surgery two months ago. Maybe your vet will do the same for you.

My kitty had a hernia some years ago and things came out well for her. Yes, it's stressful for the animals, but more stressful to let things fester and get worse. I know it's a drag and hassle but it's good you're getting it taken care of right away. I really do hope they give you a break. Maybe because you brought it up it'll get them thinking that they should give you one...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:48 pm 

The kitten got his second hernia surgery today, and is being kept in the bathroom, which he dislikes greatly, but it is the smallest room with nothing he can jump on, to limit activity. They also prescribed sedatives for him which have knocked him out it seems, I guess to ensure that they do not have to do another surgery. I wish I could explain to him that it isn't his fault he is stuck in the bathroom, since he seems confused and stressed, but since I can't explain it to him, I put the other cat in there with him, and now they are both hanging out and not so scared, being still, so I guess it worked out. Now I just have to keep him confined until he heals, which is kind of scary, since I don't want the same thing to happen again.

They quoted me a price that was only the price for the anesthesia and surgery supplies, but when I went to pick him up they said they talked to the vet and he decided to give it to me for just the price of his medication, so something that was originally supposed to be $343 was going to be cut down to between $100-150, but I ended up having to only pay $33, so it worked out for me as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:11 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I hope your kitty is feeling much better! It is so hard when they are recovering from something like that to have to keep them confined and not be able to have them understand that you are trying to help. It sounds like you are taking great care of him!

Hugs to you and your kitty!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 am 

Thanks for the well wishes you guys. Still keeping the kitty confined and trying to keep him calm, though right now he is sleeping on me, so apparently he's not too mad about being closed in the bathroom and me making him take his pills recently.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi there! I have read a lot of information about hernia and want to share it with you. Futhermore you can get a lot of knowledge and prevent disease. Look in details here http://hernia-treatment.net/symptoms-re ... -treatment