| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 22, 2015 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adopting a senior dog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:03 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

we fell in love with a dog on pet finder. he is a 12 year old pug! we know that he wouldn't be with us forever, but his face is so freaking cute. Is this a bad idea? Also, how much stock do you put into yelp reviews of pet rescues. this place has kind of bad reviews, but some of them are for very dumb reasons, like they wouldn't let someone with a python adopt a pug and that person gave them a one star review, or just that the pugs were dirty or smelled bad when they got them? I don't know if that's indicative of anything.

I guess I'm mostly just worried that he might have a lot more health problems than what they tell us up front. we will both be working, but my husband can walk home during lunch, so i think at most the dog would be home for 4-5 hours by himself.

I'd love to help out a senior pet have a good last few years, but I'm nervous that we'd be getting in over our heads. deep down I feel like ultimately it's better for the dog to have a forever home, right?

Post subject: Re: adopting a senior dog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:24 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

It's totally worth it! Just take it one step at a time. Is there a way to visit the dog and see how well you get along? If it's a foster situation, then the foster might feel more free to tell you about the dog's specific quirks or needs. You don't have to commit to anything unless it feels right. I'm excited that you're looking, though!

It may seem overwhelming, especially at first, but the love will be so rewarding and you'll soon get used to your little dude's needs and ways of communicating. And of course you'll be giving a wonderful loving home to an older gent!

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:38 pm 

Thanks, Erika! That helps a lot. Thanks! all big changes are scary, but sometimes you gotta just go for it. i mean, it might be that a million people want to adopt him, which would be good for him. But i did see a pic of him at his foster home on March 9th saying he was available for adoption. so, we'll see!!

i don't know about visits. it might have to be set up on an individual basis with the foster. their website wasn't very clear about that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:57 pm 
Dead by dawn

Which rescue is it? My sister is involved with a local pug rescue group so she might have some input that would make you feel better about the yelp reviews.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:03 pm 

oh, thanks monkey toes! it's seattle pug rescue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:46 pm 
Dead by dawn

So, she says she doesn't like the vet they use. Or used to use... she isn't sure. Other than that, she said from the people she's met through SPR, she believes they do have the dogs' best interests at heart and that she would definitely adopt through them. Like most breed rescues, they can seem overly picky about who they adopt to and that turns some people off but she thinks they're doing the best they can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:55 pm 

thanks for asking MT! the vet they use was part of the complaints on yelp and then i read the reviews of that vet and it seems like maybe it's the same clinic, but a new doctor now? not sure! but they do pay for some of the vet bills if you take your dog there, so i'd maybe at least go there once just to see how it is, but not do any major treatments. our upstairs neighbors have a bulldog, so I could ask them where they go to the vet.

I won't get my hopes up too much because maybe they'd think we weren't home enough or our apartment is too small or who knows what else, but we're going to fill out an application tonight and see what happens!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

How exciting. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:53 pm 

Thaaaaanks! Their online application was down so we emailed them a long story about how much we want chewie and will mail the application tomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:13 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yay! <3 I think it's super important to adopt senior dogs! I think if I ever get to place where I can have a rolling savings going, not depend on care credit for vet bills, I will mostly stick to adopting senior dogs. They definitely cost a lot more than younger dogs! But I mean, I'm making it work and I work one day a week, rely on student loans, and am a single person. I feel like you and your partner should be just fine. Just keep a chunk of cash set aside for like, if they need a bunch of teeth pulled, or eye removed, or something like that! It'll be okay though. :)

Exciting! Old puggies are the best (other than old pekingese's obviously).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:45 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Totally makes my day to see that people really care about older dogs! Yeah for this thread!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:16 pm 

chewie got adopted! their website was just updated today to reflect that. I'm happy for Chewie, and we are still going to pursue getting a senior dog because I know they need a lot of help!

here he is if you wanna see him: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/31669040

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:05 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

The process is different for rescues, but I find most (especially picky ones) follow this routine:

You send in an application. They send a volunteer to do a home visit and do a mini interview. Then you get a visit with the foster home/dog set up. Then, if it is a dog that has a lot of interest, you'll wait a couple days while they make a decision. If the dog had been sitting in rescue for a while, you won't have to wait long.

If you think you're going to be looking at an older pug no matter what, go ahead and do an application with the rescue even if they're not listing anyone you're interested in right now. Most rescues would love to have serious, responsible people wanting to adopt seniors waiting in the wings and ready to go! You can often apply and go through the home visit and be cleared as an adopter before your dream dog gets listed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

+1 Yummy to Moon! Many rescues can pre-approve you and let you know when they get a dog you might be interested in. Also I don't think 4-5 hours alone will be a black mark against you, as long as potential pug does not have serious health issues that require constant supervision. Pugs sleep a lot and unless the dog has separation anxiety, they will more than likely just nap until someone gets home. And continue to nap after the excitement of greeting you. Speaking as someone who has many a time gotten trapped under a pile of pugs napping, hahahaha.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:16 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ijdi, if you have your heart set on a senior, look into Old Dog Haven.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:27 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Senior dogs are awesome! My sister adopted an eight year old mutt with a rough past, he is very chill, house-trained and doesn't need a ton of exercise or training like a younger pup would. She pampers the crepe out of the little guy, he is getting to spend his golden years in a loving, comfortable environment with no worries. My mom jokes that he probably thinks he croaked and went to heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:04 am 
Chip Strong

Aww, I'm glad he found a home but shame it wasn't you. I tried adopting a mature pug a while back but I didn't pass because I work more than 4 hours a day. Hopefully as Moon said, if you get approved you won't have to go through the same process again once you find another dog.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:54 pm 

thanks for all your advice guys!! this particular rescue has a few senior pugs, so we will probably send in the application anyway, but to be honest, I feel a bit guilty wanting one particular type of dog when really i'd be happy to give any dog who needs one a home, but I do really love the squishy faced ones so much!

i also just saw this little girl on petfinder
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30166931/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butterfly is so cute!!! We rescued a chihuahua when she was 7, she ended up living to age 17. She was so healthy that she didn't even seem old until the last year of her life.

And don't feel bad. Pugs and other squishy faced dogs are terribly susceptible to breathing problems (and pugs particularly have a lot of inbreeding issues) so their senior years are likely to be more difficult than other breeds, and they often need more help. A rescue is still a rescue in the end, anyway.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:48 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Don't feel bad IJDI, we all have things we find more appealing in a dog. I like clean faces and pointy ears for the most part and I don't have the energy or inclination to have a dog with any amount of coat or that requires grooming. Some people like slobbery hounds or bouncy terriers - and some people are willing to deal with snorty, snoring brachycephalic dogs that are prone to skin conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:16 pm 

haha thanks moon! <3 snorty dogs!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:45 pm 

Just sent an email for adopting a dog! he's not a senior, he's 3, but I figured I'd post about it here just to keep record of our pet adoption stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:57 pm 

I guess that post was sort of a tease without a picture
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30860123

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:07 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

It's also a tease cause the link says the pet is no longer available on pet finder!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:58 pm 

oh noes! it works when I click on it.

I posted his pic in the petfinder thread here viewtopic.php?p=970689#p970689