| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My cat can't poop.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm getting really frustrated with Sir Didymus' medical issues. Not in an "I'm going to start denying him care" sort of way, more in a "I just want him to be better" sort of way.

Bottom line is he gets big giant hard poop and he can't pass it and gets stopped up, pukes a bunch, and hides. This results in a trip to the vet or the ER depending on who is open, and a range of treatments from manually removing his stool, to sedation and enemas. They started him on 1 mL lactulose every other day, then 1 mL 2X/day, then 2 mL 2X/day. The last time the ER vet said we could increase it more until we're seeing soft stools. We've been giving him 3.5 mL 2X/day and still no change in the litter boxes. He hasn't needed a vet visit in two weeks (knock on wood), but I'd like to get this under control so we can stop doing that! I put a call into his vet today to see about changing him to Miralax, which the ER vet suggested if the Lactulose wasn't working. We can't change his food because he also has struvite crystals and needs a special diet for that.

Has anyone else had a cat with this problem? Did anything help?

Post subject: Re: My cat can't poop.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Sorry to hear about Sir Didymus...that is certainly no fun :(

Miralax - or Polyethylene Glycol 3350 ( Peg 3350) (and in generic form too- less expensive - here in Canada anyway) is what my cat has been on for 3 months now. No more fighting with lactulose!
It can take a week tho - to get the effect you want - not constipated, no diarrhea. Peach started getting slightly bunged up for no apparent reason, other than it was the tip of the iceberg for early renal disease, so very slight dehydration might plug up a cat who drinks very little water to begin with. Her renal numbers hadn't even crossed over that threshold of anything being out of range - but you know that when they do - the kidneys only have 25% of the function remaining.

It's taken some time to get the right effect for her. Is Sir Didymus on rx canned or dry? Canned is preferable for the moisture content! Peach gets 4 canned meals a day - 2 in the am about 3 hours apart, and the at supper, again 2 meals about 3 hours apart as she can't eat 1/2 a can at once sitting. To complicate things even more - I found the Peg 3350, made her stool softer initially, but - she was still straining to pass it - it seemed to come out like one long cylinder type stool - I felt she needed some bulk to help the stools pass quicker - so I added fibre caps -Vetasyl. And I add small amounts of water to mix it in as well - the PEG is tastless- OH THANK GOD! The fibre caps are palatable.

Am first meal -1/4(not heaping) tsp Peg, second meal 1/2 fibre cap..... pm first meal 1/4 tsp Peg, second meal 1/2 fibre cap. ( Plus she's on pred for severe skin allergies, Reactin for that as well, and Cacitriol to help the kidneys with the inevitable phosphorus overload that will be the result of her high protein hypo diets)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

tendervittles wrote:
Sorry to hear about Sir Didymus...that is certainly no fun :(

Miralax - or Polyethylene Glycol 3350 ( Peg 3350) (and in generic form too- less expensive - here in Canada anyway) is what my cat has been on for 3 months now. No more fighting with lactulose!

I've been using lactulose successfully for a while now (my vet recommended it). Do your kitties fight lactulose? Is it bad? I figured it was okay because the vet recommended. The lactulose formulation I get is pretty sticky though, and it's orange-flavored (quite yummy actually, I've tried some) so I squirt 1 mL in Kizzy's mouth twice a day with a syringe (morning and before bed so 2 mL a day) and that keeps his bowels moving, but because of the sweet stickiness of it, I have to wipe Kizzy's mouth area down with a dripping wet cloth after I administer so the lactulose doesn't stick to his fur and clump it up which is like getting gum out of it if you let it set and no fun for him or me.

But it's been working at keeping his poop coming without strain (soft stools). My kitty does fight the lactulose squirt process a bit but not much...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Part II, I couldn't seem to keep typing in that first post....

The worry about these non-pooping cats is that they can develop megacolon.

I would give the PEG 3350 a try, if you can somehow get him to drink more water, cat fountain? Various bowls around the house with water.. or even doing sq fluids at home if your vet recommends it - especially during the time you are changing over from the lactulose. I would ask the vet as well, can you do both PEG and Lactulose during the transitioning period- so at least he has something on board while the PEG takes effect. At first I started Peach on 1/8th of the PEG twice daily, and realized it was not enough - 1/4 tsp is perfect twice daily, a heaping 1/4 is too much!!

Hope some of this helps - I know how frustrating it is. Peach poops once a day, as of lately, or can go every 3 days and then its 3 trips to the litterbox and alot of poo.

She's also a tripod, 14 years old and her remaining back leg is getting weak - so having to be hunched over in the litterbox is getting a bit uncomfortable for her. I think the back leg is going to pack it long before her kidneys would have :(

Good luck with this!!!!

Last edited by tendervittles on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

All but one of the kitties I had, that needed lactulose, fought it. Which then they wouldn't take their other meds -pills & caps, they'd clamp their jaws down! One took it in her canned food- no probs. Yes- the same sticky sweet orange stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:21 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I give Nimrod this and it works like a charm: http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Petromalt- ... 800&sr=8-3

Canned food will also help. Could be that the protein level of your current food is too high, which can result in hard stools. Changing the volume or quality of that may help too.

Royal Canin canned food is awesome.

My tumblr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Lemmie try to respond to all that without quotes..

First, Thanks! Nice to know I don't have the only non-pooping cat. I joke that if cats didn't need to poop or pee, he'd be the perfect cat.

He eats Waltham Urinary SO - both wet and dry. His wet food he gets as "soup" with more water mixed in, and we have a cat fountain, and bowls of water in other rooms.

Sir Didymus gets his lactulose mixed into wet food. He cleans his bowl, he hasn't even seemed to notice or care that it's in there. His isn't flavored though. (I personally had to take a few oz for a medical test recently, and it was honey flavored, and appalling! It was so sweet and thick and I wasn't allowed to wash it down with anything. BLEH!) Atticus is now locked in the bathroom during meal times, and Monchichi has always been locked in my office because he doesn't eat Rx food. We're now officially out of rooms with doors on the first floor for separating cats at meal time.

Didy is only 3, and is otherwise completely healthy. His urinary problem is controlled by his food, which is why I'm really hesitant to change it. When it comes down to it, not being able to poop is $100-$150; not being able to pee is $2000. You can tell immediately when Didy can't poop, he is just a totally different cat, so we always get him treated quickly but I'd be much happier to avoid it all together.

I'm kind of annoyed right now because I called the vet 8 hrs ago with no return call. I may just start him on 1/8 tsp Miralax and see how it goes. I've thought about fiber too but I don't want to change too much at once. I know with me, personally, fiber constipates me really bad, so that concerns me a bit! Maybe if I get him on a functional dose of laxative first, then add fiber, then can try to back off the laxative and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I wish I had some advice for you.. I hope he 'loosens' up for you and feels better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sorry to hear about Sir Didymus's problem. We were going through something similar earlier this year. Our cat was a great pooper until he developed an anal gland problem, then put on anti-biotics. I think the anti-biotics messed up his little system. I tried probiotics that the vet sold but they didn't do much. I tried a few different things and the problem did resolve itself. I also used petromalt (for the mineral oil). It's for hairballs, but because the mineral oil can't be absorbed, it helps things slide through the system. I also started mixing mashed pumpkin in with his food, about 1 tbsp per day. That made a noticeable difference. Still not perfect...I had this leftover stuff from another cat with enzymes in it and it seemed to do the trick. It's supposed to be for bad breath, but worked great at getting him nice regular poops. It's called Nature's dentist and you just sprinkle some over their food http://www.trinatural.com/supplements-m ... entist.php
I had trouble finding Nature's dentist when I ran out last time so also tried Prozyme (you can get a free sample off their site in the US). It also seems to have worked well. http://www.prozymeproducts.com/prozymeoriginal.aspx
Good luck, I hope you can find a solution to his problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Agree - I wouldn't change Sir Didymus's rx food. It would be trial and error anyhow to see if a high fibre or low residue diet works for his bowels, and what about the crystals.... I'd probably start with the 1/4 tsp PEG twice daily since even 7ml a day of lactulose doesn't seem to help. My vet said - it takes a about a week to see it work - she was right. Hold off on the fibre, he may not need it. I happened to have some left over from another cat so I had it right at hand.

I'd still be doing some lactulose twice daily as well for perhaps a week, and then taper it off... always see what your vet says :) My (other) vet said I shouldn't do the fibre/PEG and within 48 hours Peach was bunged right up and barfing. Back to the fibre! No probs since - we seem to have it down to a sh*tty science.

Funny - I tried the pumpkin on her and it gave her bad diarrhea. Even the tiniest amounts.. she loved it but it didn't love her.

Good luck - hope your vet calls soon!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

After Bear had her teeth cleaned a couple years ago, she got stopped up from the anesthetic. She got cleaned out at the vet and they told me to give her Lax' Aire, which she really likes. She hasn't had a problem since, but she's nowhere in the same league as Sir Didymus as far as digestive issues. Also, there is apparently a shortage of the stuff now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The vet finally called me back at 9:15 pm. She said to do 1/4 tsp of Miralax 2X/day, and to stop the Lactulose. Hopefully it will help!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My kitties have their paws crossed for him!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Haha thanks! I feel like once we figure out the right dose of the right stuff, all will be right with Didy's world again! He is such a happy cat when he's feeling well (and we don't have houseguests), it's so awful when he's feeling bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hopefully this helps him to become a happy poopster! Things going ok?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Funny you should ask -- we switched him to Miralax about a week ago. This morning I was getting ready to leave for work, Sir Did ran up from the basement (where most of the boxes are) and ran all the way upstairs like his tail was on fire. I called him and he ran back downstairs again and then stopped and started licking his butt. My first thought was "crepe! he can't crepe!" so I went downstairs and there was a really long fresh soft-but-formed turd just outside of the litter box. So yay he pooped and it's getting softer! I think maybe he's still got a sore bum and it scared him. But so glad he actually went, and a good bit too!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:42 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Fantastic!!! Yay Sir Did!! Thanks for the update.

Funny how pets pooping can make us so happy! :)

Peach has similar styled stools.....it's like - that much crepe inside that little cat!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

my vet suggested feeding feeding marla a raisin-sized dab of vaseline every day to help "loosen things up" and it works like a charm. she thinks it is treat now, too. glad sir did is poopin better!

(formerly known as wintermitts)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Feed him pureed pumpkin! Just mix it into his wet food. Worked like a charm on Simon.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu