| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you feed your dogs? (Vet is blaming vegan diet ...)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am just curious what everyone feeds there dog and for how long? Since Party was rescued by Farm Sanctuary in 2008 he's been eating Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula Dry, which is vegan. He's occasionally had commercial or other high end stuff with meat when other people fed it to him, but he always got sick. His check ups have always been perfect, his weight is always stable, high energy and glossy coat.

However, yesterday he had a blockage and couldn't pee. The vet at Emergency found crystals (which didn't show up on the ex ray) blocking his tract and had to go in and remove them. She cited his vegan diet and dry food as the cause, recommending he switch immediately to the vet brand urinary wet food, which we are for now. He'll eat this for a recommended period of time, then she said he'll be placed on a different wet food. There was a bit of confusion and I'll need to clarify with her, but it seems she was very much against vegan food and equally against dry food for him.

Having never bought wet dog food, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should try to switch him to after wards. It seems odd that he developed crystals from his current food as nothing in the ingredients list has anything linked to stones or high PH (his urine was about a 8, which is super high, but this is the only urine test where vets have mentioned high PH. Crytal formation should require a high PH state for a long period of time, but it's possible the vets never mentioned it before because they were looking at the urine for other reasons).

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Crystals, Vet's opinions of your dogs food, or wet dog foods? I don't want to compromise his health if being vegan or vegetarian is doing that, it is possible he is just one in X # who cannot handle that... but i've also been around enough professionals who simply haven't done the research.

(Not looking to debate morals of veg*n dogs. Obviously for everyone here our companions health comes first and many of us would like to or do feed our companions veg*n. I'm just looking for research or experience in this issue or with wet dog foods in general, because at the end of the day if he 'has' to eat meat I want to find the lesser of all evils)

Post subject: Re: What do you feed your dogs? (Vet is blaming vegan diet .
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:10 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

If it's more to do with the dry food than it is being vegan you could soak his food before giving it to him. You'll have to brush his teeth more often though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:27 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah, he may not be getting enough liquid. You could also look at adding things like canned green beans (unsalted or rinsed well) to his food. I'm unaware if there is a vegan wet food.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:07 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

See that where I'm a little unclear. My dad seems to think she was more focused on his food being dry, but it sounded to me that she more against dogs being vegan.

We have a follow up with his regular vet today and I'm going to inquire with them, look for clarification and a second opinion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I remember in past threads there were a few forum members who had vegan dogs and alot of research supports dogs eating vegan. Party's vets have always remarked how healthy he was and how everything seemed fine, but now with his first ever issue this vet is concerned with his diet.

I'm hoping to get more discussion and facts from the vet at his check up today. Even now he's back to normal with no issue, and he wasn't showing any signs of pain even when he was blocked up. I guess my pain line of concern is I can't tell 100% how he is feeling all the time, so unlike when doctors try and blame me getting a cold or a headache on veganism I can't contest that with knowing how i've felt for 9+ years of veganism and facts on human nutrition.

I am a bit concerned that the stuff she recommended is made with cornmeal as the first ingredient and then various "meat-by-products", because if he does 'have' to eat meat I would rather he have food grade stuff. The lack of any sort of control or regulation into the animal products allowed into pet food is a major concern and as unethical as 'happy-meat' is in the grand scheme, I would rather he eat that then factory farm garbage. Because his health is first and foremost, I'm just not sold on the 'vegan diet is to blame because dogs should eat meat' rational. I want to see the science behind it, but when I asked the emerge vet the only response was 'because they just do' which doesn't instill confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:33 am 
WRETCHED

We have had some inconsistencies between vegan dog foods but my dogs are doing well on v-dog. It is mail order only though and I'm not sure about shipping to Canada. Who knows what was up with that vet? Maybe she had crazy vegan owners before who fed their dogs something questionable. Or maybe they aren't educated about vegan dog diets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Can you get Nature's Recipe in Canada? That's the wet food Chester eats, they make a vegetarian variety.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So Dinger has really bad allergies and we have tried 100 different kinds of food. Then when he had the crystals I switched him to the urinary diet food but it was beef and wheat and all sorts of other stuff and he didn't do well on it at all so then I switched him back to the California Natural herring and sweet potato which is a dry food. That one, in particular seems to be the best for his skin and the doc thought we should worry more about that than the urinary thing and luckily it hasn't happened again. That was a few years ago. They didn't tell me anything about wet food, but that makes sense because that is what you here for people. My boyfriend had stones right around the same time! Not all stones are caused by diet either, some people just get them.

If you want to keep it vegan and have it wet maybe consider homemade food. I do that sometimes too, I make lentils and brown rice and add broccoli, chia seeds, and nooch and he loves that but I can't feed it to him consistently because of the allergies. There is a vegan supplement that you can add to homemade food.

The weird thing about the urinary food is that it isn't the actual food that is good for them, it is some sort of supplement that they add. I asked the vet if I could just buy the supplement to add to the food I give him and he said that it was a proprietary company secret and that buying the food was the only way to get it! mustards!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, I just looked over the ingredients and this wet food contains wheat, cornmeal, corn, by product and just about all the dog-no-nos there are for food. I'm hoping to learn more tonight talking with the vet.

Party's main allergy concern seems to just be eggs and animal protien makes him vomit. So I am hoping I can find some preferably vegan solution. I'm going to keep looking and shop around, I was just wondering what brands everyone else has had sucess with.

It seems there is a wet version of the food he eats now, so maybe that'll be another option. I've heard adding pumpkin to the food helps too, especially for tummy issue. Will report back tonight and i'll look into V and the other brands too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Like people said, having your dog as hydrate as possible is key, but you can also try giving him cranberry pills. My dog used to get UTI's all the time and those would help. She hasn't had one in forever though, not sure why really.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The vet I saw today said it was the veganism. Then went on to state she doesn't believe that dogs can have allergies or sensitivities to foods and told me the best dog food on the market was the stuff they sold, science brand ones.

ingredients: Water, Corn Starch, Egg Product (forget what it said in brackets), chicken liver by products, wheat, pork liver by-products, animal fat and a bunch of other filler.

She then mentioned she wasn't a nutritionist and had no response to what foods or parts of his diet were causing the high PH levels or what foods would reduce it. But we did limit his issue to a certain type of crystal only and that they were likely caused by the high PH in his urine.

She told me to feed him his regular food tonight and tomorrow morning to double check it's the science diet wet food and not his pills that are making him throw up. Then she gave be another science diet wet formula (described above) to try him on tomorrow night. She also suggested I contact the holistic vet if I want to talk alternatives and coddled Party over how Handsome he is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:26 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I don't think it's the veganism. I got into a debate at a pet store once with a woman claiming to be a dog nutritionist and upon finding out that Gizmo is vegan, she told me that dogs are carnivores and need meat. Turns out she was just a rep for some dog food company trying to scare me into switching dog foods. Luckily I did plenty of research before actually switching Gizmo to an all vegan diet and was able to stand my ground. She has been on Natural Balance Vegan formula for over a year now and it's been great. She refuses to eat the kibble plain so I've always just made my own "wet food" for her. I cook up sweet potatoes, or pumpkin when its in season, then mash them and mix them with lima beans, carrots, black or kidney beans, lentils, quinoa, rice, brussel sprouts or whatever I have on hand for fresh veggies. I make huge batches and freeze them in 5 day portions. Luckily she is tiny so a huge batch for her really isn't a ton. When I run out, if I haven't had time to make another batch, I always at least keep a few sweet potatoes on hand to quickly steam or microwave and a frozen bag of carrots or peas to mix into it so she isn't forced to eat just plain kibble. I've never had any issues with her getting any crystals or anything. In fact, its made her much healthier. Before she went vegan she would always get these awful rashes and dry skin bouts and now the only time she gets them is when she sneaks food from other dog bowls.
She is neither here nor there on whether she gets kibble and prefers fresh cooked food but I keep her on the kibble to help clean her teeth and to make sure she is getting everything she needs. I also add the VegeDog supplements to her food and treats that I make for her.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how what foods would help reduce the PH in his urine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:36 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

From the little I just googled, it seems like some good steps to take on your part are cran juice or supplements and vitamin c.

I also found this link: http://www.actualcures.com/ph-chart-of- ... pplements/

I'm pretty sure it's more directed towards humans but the effects on the ph should probably be about the same. There is a list of acid forming foods that help lower ph which will hopefully be helpful to you.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Actually, a diet high in grains causes a dogs urine to become more alkaline, resulting in a higher pH, which causes cystisis. High mgnesium also plays a role, along with the amount of moisture in a dogs diet.

Some dogs seem to do okay on a vegan diet, but for your dog it seems like it isn't the best option. I really think you should switch him to a meat based diet, preferably one that is grain free. Orijen and Acana are both human quality, and they don't do captive feeding trials, which is a huge plus. If you want to stay with Natural Balance, I believe they have a few limited ingrediant diets that are grain free or low grain, but most of their foods are pretty high in grains I believe, which you'll want to avoid with your dog.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

His food his Grain free. But the food the Vets are recommending have corn meal and/or Corn Starch.

ETA: but it's good to know about the grain. Do you have an article source for that? I'd love to read it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Cuddles gets V-dog, and its been great for him. In the 3+ years he's been on it, his chronic ear infections and hot spots have disappeared and his weight and health are perfect.

Good luck finding something that works for Party!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My dog used to be on the natural balance but due to extreme allergies i had to switch himto the fish and sweet potato formula due to all the different carbs. I have many friends who feed theur dogs vegan so i know it works. Just isn't for everyone. I have also heard that the techni-cal veggie for mula is better tolerated by a lot of dogs but i havent tried it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

B_A_D wrote:
His food his Grain free. But the food the Vets are recommending have corn meal and/or Corn Starch.

ETA: but it's good to know about the grain. Do you have an article source for that? I'd love to read it.

The Natural Balance Vegetarian is most definently not grain free. It has brown rice and oatmeal.

Perscription diets tend to be crepe, so I agree with you the diet the vet suggested won't be the best option long term. I have a diabetic cat, and if I had her on the Purina DM food the vet wanted her on, she'd still be on insulin, or in very poor health from lack of regulation.

I have articles written by vets about dog nutrition and why grain free diets are best, but we're in the process of moving, so they're all packed away.

A quick google search will give you tons of information about the benefits of a grain free diet, but here are a few specifically talking about high pH in a dogs urine. Yes, it's e-how, but they're actually a decent source on a lot of things (and say the same things as the articles by vets I have).

http://www.ehow.com/about_6796672_alkal ... -dogs.html
http://www.ehow.com/about_5367142_ph-levels-dogs.html

If you're totally against feeding your dog a grain-free meat based diet, at the very least switch your dog to a completely wet diet. If the cystisis comes back though, please switch him to a meat based diet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:05 am 
Semen Strong

Just going to point out that Simply-Love has posted in another thread that he/she doesn't believe that people should feed their dogs a vegan dogfood and that vegan dogfood is all fillers.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13840&p=369776#p369776

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm against feeding dogs vegan diets because of health issues that it can cause. How is that a bad thing? If your dog is doing fine it, then stick with it, but when health issues arise (like crystals), it's time for a change. (I'm against feeding dogs and cats diets high in grains/carbs in general actually, but that's beside the point.)

Also, here are the ingrediants of V-dog:
Wheat, Whole Corn, Soybean Meal, Quinoa and Oats Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Oil, Beet Pulp, Pasta, Rice, Peas, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Yeast, Whole Flaxseed, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Fructooligosaccharides, Rosemary, Parsley, Mineral Supplement (Iron sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Vitamin Supplement (Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D2 supplement, Folic Acid), Mixed Tocopherols

What else would you call corn, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, and wheat middlings aside from fillers? They're low quality ingrediants petfood companies use because they're cheap.

B_A_D, I really hope your dogs crystals can be resolved, whatever way you go about it. I'm truly sorry if you felt I was pushing my views on you in some way, I just have done a lot of research into diet for my own pets, and was sharing with you what I know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 am 
Semen Strong

FYI from V-dog's site on why a veg*n diet is healthy and particularly on crystals:

Quote:
Although dry kibble is generally better for dental health, if the dog is predisposed to urinary problems such as urinary crystals, canned (moist) food would be a better choice because the higher water intake helps to dilute out the urine and reduce the incidence of crystal and stone formation. One of the potential but unlikely risks associated with vegetarian diets in dogs is the occurrence of struvite crystals, which are more likely to occur if the urine pH becomes too alkaline. Adding water to the dry food or encouraging the dog to drink water would be another way to address the issue of urine concentration which is related to crystal formation (the more dilute the urine, the less likely crystals are to form). To avoid any problems associated with urinary alkalinization secondary to the dog being on a vegetarian diet, I recommend that 2-3 weeks after switching the dog from a meat-based to a plant-based diet that he/she be brought to a veterinarian to have a urinalysis performed. This simple test will show what the urine pH is, as well as whether any crystals are present, therefore heading off any problems before they start. If the urine pH is too high (too alkaline) and/or struvite crystals are present, various acidifying agents can be used.

Hope that helps Party.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I somehow missed the last few posts in this thread. Although we haven't had a resurgence of the crystal problem (and have been wetting his food), he does have an upset tummy this week (suddenly) and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I was going to try switching his food to see if it helps, and was wondering what the experiences were with V-dog. He did have some Natural Balance fish stuff when my friend and her dog lived here (he threw it up).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Cuddles gets V-dog, and its been great for him. In the 3+ years he's been on it, his chronic ear infections and hot spots have disappeared and his weight and health are perfect.

Good luck finding something that works for Party!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

We just tried switching to Van Pattens, and after a couple of months I am pretty dissatisfied. Ever since he's been on it, he has had pretty loose stool, vomiting, and ear infections. Before this we used v-dog, and I did like that one, so that is what we will be going back to. He seems to like v-dog too.

I don't know what it is about Van Pattens, but it just doesn't work for us. I hope you find something to make your little guy feel better, hugs from us in the windy city