| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What do you feed your dogs? (Vet is blaming vegan diet .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 am 
WRETCHED

We had our dogs before we were vegan and fed them non-veg food long after we were vegan so I have experience on both sides. We have probably tried 20 different dog foods, all fairly high end. Our corgi mix used to have a lot of issues with her stomach but since being on V-dog, she has had none. We have also tried to test out other veg dog foods and even with slowly mixing in the new food, our beagle starts to get diarrhea. So he stays on v-dog.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I would definitely try to find out, if you can, what exactly it is about the Hills food is supposed to work. There's nothing magic about crappy meat by-products and corn gluten.

We have a cat at the shelter who was surrendered because she had chronic UTIs and bladder stones and the owners didn't want to pay to treat them anymore. Of course the vet recommended the Hills prescription food, but the cat would not eat it. She was 100% willing to starve herself to death rather than eat it. So we looked at what made the food good for preventing crystals, and it was the low level of magnesium. We tried other cat foods that had the same level of magnesium and found one that she would eat. We add extra water to the canned food and don't give her any dry.

Vegepet sells a yeast supplement (vegeyeast) that is supposed to be 100x more acidic than nooch or brewers yeast. Veggies and grains are more alkaline than meat, so you could ask your vet about adding supplements to the diet to increase acidity (although if the vet is dead set against veganism, they may not want to listen to you at all... in which case my advice is to find a more sympathetic vet.).

I would definitely try to get him to drink more. Some dogs prefer fresh water, so you can try changing it several times a day, or get one of those pet fountains. Reading different sites, it seems there are many people who prefer to use distilled water for dogs prone to crystals. If you are feeding dry kibble, soak it in water until it is basically mush. If it's canned add water and stir it to a smoothie-like consistency. Also letting him outside frequently to urinate is a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I feed my dog natural balance and she seems to be losing hair. Anybody else notice this? Anybody have a solution?

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The fact that your vet is recommending high-grain foods worries me, but tons of animals that eat a non-vegan diet get crystals. I can't say whether or not that's a contributor, but it's definitely not the only reason.

Anyway, the Honest Kitchen has a wet grain-free vegetarian food. http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/preference/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

sarahnorine wrote:
I feed my dog natural balance and she seems to be losing hair. Anybody else notice this? Anybody have a solution?

Oh no! Their vegan brand is free from typical allergens, maybe she has a more obscure one? Do you use any fur/treatments/supplements on her that may be causing? I feed Gizmo the vegan natural balance and it had the opposite effect, she stopped losing her hair. When she was eating commercial dog food she was a mess.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:20 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

creep wrote:
Anyway, the Honest Kitchen has a wet grain-free vegetarian food. http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/preference/

That food is not complete as is, it needs to be mixed with meat to be (as it says on the webpage....).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My dogs eat Natural Balance and they both have a ton of shiny, silky hair. That is on everything I own.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

mrsbadmouth wrote:
My dogs eat Natural Balance and they both have a ton of shiny, silky hair. That is on everything I own.

EVERYTHING.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Simply_Love wrote:
creep wrote:

That food is not complete as is, it needs to be mixed with meat to be (as it says on the webpage....).

Or whatever source of protein you choose to add? It's 6% protein hydrated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Oh no! Their vegan brand is free from typical allergens, maybe she has a more obscure one? Do you use any fur/treatments/supplements on her that may be causing? I feed Gizmo the vegan natural balance and it had the opposite effect, she stopped losing her hair. When she was eating commercial dog food she was a mess.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had that problem. I'm glad to know it's allergen-free! I do feed her the vegan dog food and she loves it. She smells better, doesn't fart as much and seems to eliminate like a champ. I guess I got shaken up because someone in my life recently commented that she may not be getting the correct amount/type of protein. Does that make sense?

There may be other factors contributing to the hair loss honestly. She rubs her tummy on stuff a lot and that seems to be the main place that she's losing hair. The hair on her back is course and thick. Her behavior and tolerance for exercise has not changed and there's nothing else that seems indicative of an allergy. I just got worried after someone made that protein comment.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

B_A_D wrote:
The vet I saw today said it was the veganism. Then went on to state she doesn't believe that dogs can have allergies or sensitivities to foods and told me the best dog food on the market was the stuff they sold, science brand ones.

ingredients: Water, Corn Starch, Egg Product (forget what it said in brackets), chicken liver by products, wheat, pork liver by-products, animal fat and a bunch of other filler.

She then mentioned she wasn't a nutritionist and had no response to what foods or parts of his diet were causing the high PH levels or what foods would reduce it. But we did limit his issue to a certain type of crystal only and that they were likely caused by the high PH in his urine.

She told me to feed him his regular food tonight and tomorrow morning to double check it's the science diet wet food and not his pills that are making him throw up. Then she gave be another science diet wet formula (described above) to try him on tomorrow night. She also suggested I contact the holistic vet if I want to talk alternatives and coddled Party over how Handsome he is.

We have had dalmatians for over 20 years. It is very common for them to have crystals & stones. I always try to feed them foods that are very low in purines and make sure water is readily available. I would assume that vegan dog food would be much lower in purines than non-vegan food. It was my understanding that it has to do with the protein content. I know in people the Atkins diet can cause stones (this happened to my brother in law).

I am very concerned that your vet doesn't believe in allergies due to diet. You might want to consider finding another veterinarian. Dalmatians are also known for skin problems, my current dalmatian had small bumps on his head while on Purina One and they went completely away when I switched him to Blue Buffalo (the one I buy is lower in purines than Purina One).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

sarahnorine wrote:
VeganFoodRocks wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had that problem. I'm glad to know it's allergen-free! I do feed her the vegan dog food and she loves it. She smells better, doesn't fart as much and seems to eliminate like a champ. I guess I got shaken up because someone in my life recently commented that she may not be getting the correct amount/type of protein. Does that make sense?

There may be other factors contributing to the hair loss honestly. She rubs her tummy on stuff a lot and that seems to be the main place that she's losing hair. The hair on her back is course and thick. Her behavior and tolerance for exercise has not changed and there's nothing else that seems indicative of an allergy. I just got worried after someone made that protein comment.

Could it be an outdoor allergy? Especially if it's mostly her stomach, where she'd probably come into contact with pollen, grass, etc. the most.