| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driving with a cat???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

So I am just about to adopt my first cat! I have always considered myself a dog person, but then I met Nermal and fell in love. She was staying with a friend of mine because her owner had twins and Nermal has just not been adjusting. Needless to say, when I heard she needed a new home, I immediately said I'd take her.
Only thing is that I (we) have to drive her about 3.5-4 hours to get her home. Eek! I am not familiar with traveling with cats. You can't just stop at a rest stop and take them out to have a pee.
Has anyone done this and have any advice? Is there a way that you can make a cat comfortable in the car?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Driving with a cat???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Keep her in a carrier. Don't worry about the peeing - they have amazing bladder capacity - I've driven for 16+ hrs without my cat peeung, even when offered the litter box. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:33 pm 
Chip Strong

Make sure you line the bottom of the cat box with plenty of newspaper though, in case there is a peeing incident!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

My cat will projectile vomit on any car trip, no matter how short. Car trips freak him the hell out. So I put him in a carrier and lay newspapers under and around the carrier too. Even when he hasn't eaten he manages to get it all over him, inside and outside his carrier. He doesn't travel often, maybe once a year to the vets. S0 maybe delay feeding Nermal until you get him home?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:10 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Carrier is the best idea, but I would let my cat hang out in the back. I also had a litter back there for him and he would sometimes use it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Super helpful everyone! I have new carrier, so I guess I will line that with newspaper (maybe plastic underneath) and cross my fingers. I think this cat has only been on short vet car trips, although she was originally adopted from one of those HSA vans in New York City. That may be a good sign.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:37 pm 
Semen Strong

I definitely wouldn't let a cat who wasn't that familiar with me just hang out without a carrier - there are too many cases of cats getting spooked and escaping cars at rest stops, so absolutely use a carrier.

If it were me, I would ask her current owners how she travels, and if she hasn't done well in the car before, perhaps her vet could give her an examination and give a light sedative for the drive? You can also get things like feliway that calm stressed cats down.

And when you get home, I'd give her some safe space to acclimatize, like a bedroom, and let her slowly adjust at her own pace. When I got my first cat, she was a giant lovebug at the shelter, but the drive home freaked her out, and she ended up hiding under the bed for a good week. So don't be too worried if it takes her a bit of time to come around.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have to add, when I first read the title of your thread, all I could picture was "Toonces" from SNL.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

ScooterDiva wrote:
I have to add, when I first read the title of your thread, all I could picture was "Toonces" from SNL.

I wish Toonces was driving us all home. Then we would probably all be the same amount of freaked out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We have a soft sided carrier and it has a rectangular insert that goes on the bottom to give it some support. We just wrap a chux pad around that (also known as a puppy pad or depends lap pad - like a giant flat, rectangular diaper). Works perfectly. We've gone on long flights and our cat is older, so we've needed something that soaks up pee in an emergency.. while for a 4 hour drive a young cat can probably hold it just fine, it's a little extra insurance for you.

If your carrier doesn't have an insert like that I would line the bottom with the chux pad and maybe tape it down in a few places so it doesn't bunch up. It probably won't be necessary, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

annak wrote:
We have a soft sided carrier and it has a rectangular insert that goes on the bottom to give it some support. We just wrap a chux pad around that (also known as a puppy pad or depends lap pad - like a giant flat, rectangular diaper). Works perfectly. We've gone on long flights and our cat is older, so we've needed something that soaks up pee in an emergency.. while for a 4 hour drive a young cat can probably hold it just fine, it's a little extra insurance for you.

If your carrier doesn't have an insert like that I would line the bottom with the chux pad and maybe tape it down in a few places so it doesn't bunch up. It probably won't be necessary, though.

ohhhh a wee wee pad kind of thing inside is pretty genius. our carrier does have an insert so this should work!

thanks!