| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade dog food
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if you cook homemade dog food, and if so, what?

I sometimes roast a sweet potato, my dog likes to eat it pureed. I also made once the doggie cookies in Chloe's Kitchen, and they were a hit. Looking for other vegan ideas :)

Post subject: Re: Homemade dog food
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, I cook food and treats when I have the time. I have a few dog biscuit cookbooks: Yummy for Dogs by Veronica Noechel, The Wholesome Dog Biscuit by Patricia Leslie, It's a Vegan Dog's Life (no author listed on this), and Vegetarian Dogs by Verona Rebow and Jonathan Dune (This one has nutritional information and recipes for constructing a homemade diet). I think some of them are out of print, but you might be able to find copies being sold online. There are also a lot of treat recipes online. (Here is an archived version of the old "Yummy for Dogs" website with a ton of recipes.)

I used to cook 100% homemade vegan food for my dog. I would use this recipe a lot, along with recipes from the Vegetarian Dogs book. Or I would use a pre-mix like Dr. Harvey's, where you just add water, protein, and oil to make a complete meal (I would use various beans, lentils, tofu, etc. for the protein). I've also used Vegepet Supplement, which is a powdered vitamin/mineral supplement that comes with recipes to make complete and balanced meals.

And I usually share my own food with my dog, as long as it doesn't contain any ingredients that are toxic to dogs (onions, macadamia nuts, grapes, raisins, xylitol, etc.).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:32 pm 

Awesome!! Thank you so much for all the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:14 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks from me too. I've been thinking of supplementing my dog's dry food (V-dog) with some home-cooked meals. My only reservation is that he's kind of picky, so I'd hate to spend the time making meals for him that he won't eat. Is it mostly a trial-and-error thing?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't make my dog's full meals, but I do supplement her commercial diet with small treats of whole foods. I keep a "NEVER EVER" list of stuff dogs can't have on the fridge (I made a magnet. Husby does not know and probably would not think to look up what she can/can't have) and otherwise I quickly google on my phone before giving her something new. I start with a small piece and if she likes it add to the rotation. Maybe you could do the same, and then start out with meals made from components you know he likes?

So far I have added to her food, and she has liked:

olive oil
Cooked sweet potato
cooked & raw zucchini
cooked & raw green beans
cooked green peas
raw apple (careful no seeds!)
cantaloupe
watermelon (no seeds)
blueberries (these she likes frozen. hee. she gets one or two every time I make a smoothie)

Tried and she did NOT like:
raw carrot
lettuce

Undecided: raw spinach. I gave her a leaf after she had been randomly eating grass, thinking she "needed" some leafy things. She kept trying to chew it, having it fall out of her mouth, picking it up and trying to chew again.... I think she likes it she just can't figure out how to eat it? I keep trying on and off because watching her try to eat it is hilarious, and I'm a crasshole. hahaha.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:14 am 

Ha! My dog takes the raw chopped carrots I give her, pretending she really wants them, and she hoards them in one of her beds, never eating them. She's like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Okay guys ive been getting harassed for feeding my dog meat. I was going to start feeding her the organs homsteaders dont use bc its cheap, healthy, and they usually throw them away so it wouldnt affect the supply and demand.... BUT if anyone can help me with this homemade vegan stuff id be soo grateful!

Would u guys do anything different for a large dog? Shes 100 pounds and not overweight. Pretty active. And totally NOT picky at all.

Also any experiences switching from a mainly meat diet to vegan? I do gives her peanut butter, rice, and cooked carrots for treats already anf she loves them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:36 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Two of my three dogs love carrots. They also love apples and like zucchini.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

SkottieMcFlea wrote:
Okay guys ive been getting harassed for feeding my dog meat. I was going to start feeding her the organs homsteaders dont use bc its cheap, healthy, and they usually throw them away so it wouldnt affect the supply and demand.... BUT if anyone can help me with this homemade vegan stuff id be soo grateful!

Would u guys do anything different for a large dog? Shes 100 pounds and not overweight. Pretty active. And totally NOT picky at all.

Also any experiences switching from a mainly meat diet to vegan? I do gives her peanut butter, rice, and cooked carrots for treats already anf she loves them.

Commercially prepared diets are really your best bet. Obviously They're not guarenteed to be balanced either unless they've been tested in AAFCO feeding trials (which I think for the most part only Hills and Purina do on most of their diets), but commercial diets at least follow guidelines (look for "Formulated to meet nutritional guidelines set by AAFCO" or what not to see if the manufacture is following them) and are more likely to be complete than just throwing some things together and hoping for the best. We have cats come in way too often on some raw style diet with serious health issues because of nutritional deficiencies, so I just can't back a completely homemade diet.

Personally, I don't feed my dog vegan and never will, but if you feel like you have to, I'd use one of the prepared diets and then maybe just add some fresh vegetables or whatever when you serve if you want to have some fresh food in there. I believe I've seen V-dog being reccomended most around here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:44 am 
Tofu Pup

Dogs love peanut butter, and these cookies are a great way to sneak some fish oil into your dog’s diet. Fish oil improves your dog’s coat, making it shiny, soft, and healthier. Look for organic peanut butter at your grocery store. Many commercial brands of peanut butter have unhealthy hydrogenated oils and additives. Better yet, make your own peanut butter using raw peanuts and peanut oil, and processing the mixture in your food processor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

so, sadie was losing weight and not eating (had lyme and then surgery to remove her spleen) so we decided to start feeding her homemade food (previously she was eating dick van patten's natural balance, then we got some v-dog to put out and let her munch if she wants to eat between her homemade stuff.) she's looking a lot better, but she's not back up to 100% and just today, i offered her natural balance, and she ate a few handfuls.

so, she really likes oatmeal and chickpeas, and she hates the 16 bean soup. pretty sure she likes split peas. i have to figure out what's in the 16 bean soup that she doesn't like. she also used to really like pumpkin, but she's been picky about that recently. (maybe i spoiled her with the 365 brand that going back to acme's generic was yucky.) i'm losing a lot of food that she just won't touch. i can trick her by adding sauces. (like tomato juice or pepper juice. i also have luck with a smidgen of sauerkraut, but i don't know if that's good for her. gotta check up on the dog cancer book. they say tofu and wheat is a no-no.) i just read about turmeric paste being good for cancer. if she likes that as a sauce, then we have a winner.

i'm going to read the rest of the vegan dogs thread later. (one doggie doesn't like pintos. noted. sadie might not either. we'll see.)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=624

i still need to get her the vegedog supplement. i'll order that tonight so i don't keep forgetting. my vet told me about balanceit.com (which is a website to create homemade pet recipes and sell supplements), and i put in her foods, and it suggested i add methionine and the basic balanceit supplement (but also to give her more than 1/4 cup of peanut butter!!! what? the good thing is that sesame seeds and brazil nuts have methionine, so i'll see if she likes tahini.

she's been having diarrhea for the past couple of days. (and then she'll turn around and start licking it. dude! you have food inside!) and she doesn't want pumpkin. and all she had yesterday was oatmeal which is supposed to be good for her guts. apparently enzymes can help her digest better and make her poop not taste as good, so i'll order some of those too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

it's only been a few days (and i have only been feeding oats, rice and chickpeas) but she is gobbling up her food now that it has the supplements wowee! i am going to experiment tomorrow with lentils. hopefully she likes that just as much. eventually maybe we'll try pinto beans again. thank you, vegeyeast!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Boiled potatoes are my dogs' favorite treat! I feed him that every now and then.