| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rats :(
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The good news: the mouse problem is so last year.
The bad news: we now have rats.

I actually saw one the other night and omg it was massive. I'd say it was twice as big at least as any pet rat I've ever seen. How do we deal with rats though? The things I can think of:

-Stop them from getting in. Not really sure where they are getting in, but we tried blocking up the holes with foam filler and the mustards just chewed through it.
-Empty the bins regularly, clean up, lock away the food. We do try to do this, but rats are actually really damn smart so if we accidentally leave something somewhere they WILL get at it. I guess we need to work harder.
-Disturb the places where they hang out and make them smell funny? I've not tried getting the peppermint oil out yet but I don't know if that works for mice, let alone bloody rats.
-??? Help?

Obviously I don't want to kill them or harm them in any way. But what can I do about them?

Post subject: Re: Rats :(
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:59 am 
Nailed to the V

omg. I am so sorry, and I truely wish you luck. I once was living in this super old building, and one night spotted a rat in my kitchen. I freaked. After I moved everything I owned and tried everything I could to find/convince it to leave, I went out and spent an inordinate amount of money on humane catch and release traps, which I then filled with organic peanut butter. A week later, traps were undisturbed (except for when I moved/restocked them, and due to a regular depositing of poop/ one sighting of a tail, I could tell the rat was still there.

I finally gave in and spoke with the superintendent, who sent over an exterminator. He put out those horrible horrible traps I don't want to talk about, and by the next morning the idiotic rodent had to decided to meet its end in one of them, rather than checking out one of my humane options and leading the rest of his life in a new neighborhood.

I hope he went quickly...because I never recovered.

In other news, in the four years I've co-habitated with my cat...never seen a rodent indoors.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ugh I just wrote a long thing and lost it. Dammit.

Google how to block rat tunnels in your yard/garden - if you are anywhere even remotely rural or suburban you will find their entry way. I think that was the biggest way we contained our rat problem, finding their tunnel and filling it with gravel.

Make sure there's no bird seed laying around outside, or other animal feed.

Holes inside need to blocked with metal. Foam/wood will not do the trick!

Sonic rodent repellers helped us also, although they tend to get poor reviews online. We used them to drive the rats away from key areas and towards our live traps. The dogs and cats were not bothered by them. More on these later.

Live traps worked best with dog kibble and peanut butter (combined) for bait. And on juvenile rats. The mature rats new better than to enter a contained space with only one door.

I started putting all my pantry stuff into glass jars, and what that wouldnt do for, in the fridge and freezer. Rice, pasta, flour, everything.

That's when we reached the point of desperation (for the rats). All our food was in containers or deep freeze, and the rats started to be able ignore the sonic repellents because they couldn't find anything to eat. They couldn't get out of the house either and started trying to eat my spices, and bars of soap and stuff. That's when the live traps really kicked in because they really had nothing else to go for.

Unfortunately we did reach the point where a couple were big and wily enough that Mr Moon insisted on getting snap traps. They would not enter the live traps, had enough body mass to keep going for a little while, and were starting to do serious damage to the house in their pursuits. This was nothing that either of us wanted to do but we had done basically everything else possible and this was our last ditch effort aside from calling someone in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Quail wrote:
-Disturb the places where they hang out and make them smell funny? I've not tried getting the peppermint oil out yet but I don't know if that works for mice, let alone bloody rats.

Not sure if you have cats, but if so, just be aware that peppermint oil is toxic for them.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page