| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kitty Q: What do you do when you go away?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:16 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The longest we've been away is overnight and in that case just left a light on for Jumpers, food, water and a few toys. If we're going to be out late we just do basically the same and she's always fine. The only time she seems to care is when our daughter is away for a few days, the adults are clearly second best around here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:59 am 
WELFARIST!

I have a *petsitter come in once a day or board them at the vets if I'm going to be away more than overnight. The older one needs regular medicine, so they need closer supervision than a pair of younger cats would. If I'm going out for just a few hours to run errands or whatever, I make sure they have plenty of fresh food and water available. They're toys are always out, I never put them away, sometimes they bat them under the couch which is being "put away" to me anyhoo. Anyway, cat toys are always lying around here. I also cover up the bedding and couch cushions with blankets or towels in case my older one pukes on the bed or furnishings so it doesn't soil the fabric and it's easy to launder.

Yeah, more than a day (beyond 18-24 hours) I call in the professionals. If I had younger cats that weren't on medicine, I might be willing to leave them alone for a weekend at the most, maybe ask a neighbor or my sister to check in on them. I'm not reading Tofulish's story! <3

*I hire a petsitter from a services from the Yellow Pages. I think it's called VIP Petsitters. Last time, an 86-year-old sweet lady named Doris took wonderful care of my bebees. She comes over to introduce herself beforehand, picks up keys, gets shown around to where the food and litters are, whatever special instructions can be given then, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

For work, I just let them do their thing (which means Lucas spends at least 5 hours burrowed under the covers asleep and Desi sleeps wherever he sees fit).

When I go out of town, I have a friend that cat-sits for me. She comes about once a day. I have the upside-down water thing that's good for about a week, and I leave out a large bowl of food - they're actually really good at rationing for themselves and don't overeat. She hangs out for a while and plays with them, and will let them out on the balcony if the weather is nice. So far, she's the only other human that Lucas will interact with, which is pretty awesome. When she's the one taking care of them, they don't even get mad and snub me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Orson stays in my bedroom while I'm at work. He's about 8months old and gets into everything so it's best if he's not left unattended in the rest of the apartment. He's got plenty of toys, a comfy bed, dry and wet food, fresh water, and a litter box in my bedroom. When he gets a little bit calmer he'll have reign of the place but he hasn't earned it yet.

I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving and I haven't decided what to do.
My roommate will most likely be here, but she's allergic. I wouldn't mind asking her to feed/water him, but he needs a lot of attention and stimulation and I don't want to ask her to have to do that. My biggest fear is that he'll end up in my bedroom for the better part of the long weekend.
My parents have four cats at their house, but all four are well-behaved adults who dislike Orson. I feel like taking him there and having their 2x/day sitter feed/water him would end up in a lot of cat fights and broken valuables.
I've never boarded an animal at the vet before. Do they get a lot of play time? I don't want him cooped up all weekend.

Geez, I really just wish he could travel with me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:32 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

If it was just during the day, we would let our family cat outside. He has a few spots in the garden that he loves lazing in. When my brother and I both lived there, there was usually someone at home for some part of the day anyway as we had uni or whatever, so we'd just let him in and out then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I know this thread is old, but I'm going away for 10 days next week, and I'm worried, since I will be boarding our kitties at the vet's and I don't know how they will take it. I can't bring them with us which I would like to, since supposedly the place we are staying does not allow cats. I really wish I didn't have to go away since I want to bring them, but no can do. Also, I don't have anyone who is willing to clean litter boxes here so I can't leave them at home. Last time I went away we had a friend take care of them but it was just a few days so they didn't clean the boxes, which will not work for a longer trip.

I am quite nervous about how they will handle it at the vets, even though they will both be together and seperated from other cats, but I suppose they will still be next to the other animals. I am actually pretty mad right now, since my FIL's advice is to leave them in the garage. We are going on a trip with them, and I'm pretty sure the no pets thing is a lie since they are brining their dog, maybe just don't like the cats? what the fizzle? I mentioned that I wanted to bring my cats with us since if I leave them at home and they are sad/mad at me then they will probably pee on stuff, which I want to avoid.

This is when he was all like, leave them in the garage, even though I explained how it is not safe there and not very nice to them either, so I wouldn't do that. There's all kinds of stuff stacked up that could fall and kill them, so no way. Then there was this whole issue since I said they may pee in the house if they get mad, which he took to mean that they should live outside or in the garage forever since "If they did it once they'll never stop and ruin your house". This is complete BS but thats another topic, and I guess I can just ignore this so called "advice".

Morale of the story, talk to me about cat boarding, and if this seems like a reasonable idea given the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm 
WRETCHED

I mentioned previously that I've never boarded my cats but I know others who have. In general, I do prefer paying for a cat sitter as long as you feel ok with providing someone a key who will come in, clean litter, feed, change water, etc. Often Vet Assistants do this on the side for a little extra cash.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have friends with 7 cats and a pit bull. I watch their pets for them when they are gone and they watch mine. The cats are waiting when I get there in the morning. They line up by the door and watch me with accusing eyes.
"We are not amused! The hired help is not what it used to be!"

You could get a pet sitter but animals are often more adaptable than we think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow and taking my cat's over to my sister's place with all their stuff (litterboxes, food, toys, treats) and I'm paying my nephew to look after them. If I didn't have that arrangement I would board them and have boarded them before and it's been perfectly fine. The vet takes good care of them, they have food and water and litter changes every day, medicine if they need it and some loving attention. I actually feel the least worried of all with them being boarded at the vets when I'm away. If they need medical attention, someone's right there! Maybe it's not nice to be in a cage but it's for a short time and they'll be home again. Enjoy your trip!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 am 
Hail Seitan!

i have three roommates and so far i've only gone out of town for long weekends since getting my two cats. so someone is bound to be available to change their water and make sure they still have food, and hopefully give them some snuggles.

this fall i'm planning on going on a two week bike tour. since i'm young and have lots of friends that are frequently underemployed, and who like animals, i'll probably see if any of my friends are available and interested in being hired to stop by every few days to scoop the litter box and feed and change water so my roommates don't have to do all that for two whole weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Whenever possible, ours just comes along with us. He travels well in the car. But we really don't go away that often.

He's okay to be left for about 2-3 days by himself if necessary (we are usually gone from Friday night-Sunday morning/afternoon). We make sure he has plenty of food and water and a clean box and he's fine. I think he sleeps most of the time anyway... :-p We have on occasion dropped him off with reliable cat-loving friends if we're going to be gone longer than that to places he can't come too.

Also, that story about the poor Siamese kitty breaks my heart - I'm glad that it was okay in the end but what a trauma to go through.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Whoops. Somehow missed the second page and didn't realize how old this thread was.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, we use a pet sitter (not a friend) who feeds them and cleans their litter box. She would totally cuddle with them and pet them, except they always hide from her. She's always leaving notes that say, I could not find the cats, but they are eating their food, so I know they are here. They are pretty good at hiding.

For me the worst part of boarding, I think, would be driving them anywhere. They hate the car!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Lucky for me, I have a couple of friends that work somewhat near my house, but live far away. Both of them live at home still (economy! bah!) so they are more than happy to come crash at our house for a while and get away from the fam (both have HUUUUGE families), and not have to commute over an hour a day to get to work.

Last time we were gone for a week, and our friend could not come for the first couple of days. The cats were fine, but not happy. One of them took a giant dump on the couch. Our friend was cool and cleaned it up. I dont want to know where it was. I am 99% sure it was on 'my spot'. I just don't wanna know!

I am scared to board my guys. I dont know, i just think they would be super freaked out and unhappy. I would rather pay somone to come over if I had to, like a pet sitter or a friend or co-workers kid or something.

Also, all the boarding places seem to have terrible reviews online. (near me anyway)