| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My Xena has arthritis. I'm sure I'll start another thread for tips on that soon. Its bad and progressing quickly. (yes I am seeing the vet on the reg, including today)

She also dribbled some peepees on the floor today. Not normal!

Be sad with me about our old pets. Even though they are totally going to live forever!

Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Poor Xena. My little old dog (15 years old now, and loved and spoiled every day of her life) is starting to lose her marbles a bit now - sometimes she wakes up and doesn't quite know where she is. I've had to stop sleeping upstairs with us, because I'm so worried that if she's bumbling around disorientated, that she'll fall down the stairs and get hurt - but she doesn't understand why she can't sleep with us any more, and cries at bedtime when she's left downstairs. She has also got a bit leaky, like Xena, poor old girl.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have a cat that's about to turn 18. I lurve my Kizzy so, but I fear our time left together is short. He seems okay lately though so I'm just trying to enjoy every day and not worry about the future and when I do start worrying about the future that will come without him I remind myself that he's here right now and that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ruby Rose wrote:
Poor Xena. My little old dog (15 years old now, and loved and spoiled every day of her life) is starting to lose her marbles a bit now - sometimes she wakes up and doesn't quite know where she is. I've had to stop sleeping upstairs with us, because I'm so worried that if she's bumbling around disorientated, that she'll fall down the stairs and get hurt - but she doesn't understand why she can't sleep with us any more, and cries at bedtime when she's left downstairs. She has also got a bit leaky, like Xena, poor old girl.

oh thats really heartbreaking! but safe. youre definitely doing the right thing. is getting a heavy duty babygate a possibility?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:47 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

It's really upsetting to me when I look at my dog and notice how white her face is getting. Especially because people keep pointing that out. She can't get on the bed without help anymore, and I have to walk behind her when we go upstairs, because she occasionally stumbles. She's been with me for 10 years, and it seems like a blink of an eye. I know I only have a few years left with her, and it scares me. So I have to give her a hug and tell her I love her about every 10 minutes now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:13 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Ruby Rose wrote:

Stairgate?

Mr Angus is.. like... mummified, I think. He has all these diseases that slow him down (at 18 1/2!) but yet he keeps on living. Costing me a fortune in special foods and medication, and wakening me 3 times a night to feed & water him. If it doesn't end soon it's going to be a murder suicide, I think he might instigate it, just so I don't have a life when he's gone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We tried a stairgate - but Lil just stuck her head through it and howled because she was confused by it. Seriously, downstairs is better for her, and in the night she's less freaked out if she wakes up than if she's upstairs - it's just that she hasn't quite got the cause and effect thing that staying downstairs at bedtime means that she'll be downstairs when she wakes up in the night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:36 pm 

Aaaww bless her <3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:37 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
It's really upsetting to me when I look at my dog and notice how white her face is getting. Especially because people keep pointing that out. She can't get on the bed without help anymore, and I have to walk behind her when we go upstairs, because she occasionally stumbles. She's been with me for 10 years, and it seems like a blink of an eye. I know I only have a few years left with her, and it scares me. So I have to give her a hug and tell her I love her about every 10 minutes now.

My dog's face is starting to get a few white hairs too and it worries me. She still acts normal and fine (she is only 6) but I worry about her getting hip dysplasia because she is a golden, used to overexert herself, and I have trouble keeping her weight down.
Also, I don't know if this will work for your dog since she has trouble with stairs or how big your bedroom is, but when my father's dog was getting older he built her some stairs (maybe you could try a ramp?) to help her get onto the bed. It worked well for her because being picked up made her more uncomfortable/sore and if she needed to get off during the night she could without jumping.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My horse is 18, which isn't too old, but he's had a rough life. His arthritis is getting really bad so he's been having a hard time holding his feet up for the farrier the last couple of years. He has melanomas that are not under control despite our efforts. Early this past summer he stopped urinating and had to be rushed to the hospital where we found he has a degenerative condition of his bladder muscle. So now it's an issue of which one will kill him first. We've been together 8 years and my worst fear is that it's going to be time to let him go and I won't be there (He lives in NW PA and I go to school in SoCal and live in MA).

The worst part of having an animal friend is knowing you're going to outlive him and watching him slowly fall apart.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My cats aren't old yet, but three of them are the same age and I know that someday I'm going to have a really hard year or two.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Impressive boner

Barnaby the guinea pig turned into an old man earlier this year. I don't know his exact age as he was rescued, but I'd place him at 6-7 years old.

He hasn't lost any weight according to the scales, but he's gotten bony. His muscle mass has dropped, his hips are a bit arthritic, he's napping more often and he's having some fecal impaction problems. I have to make sure that he's not backed up with poo a couple of times a day. He's not as mobile as he was and isn't as good at cleaning as a result, so when he needs a bit of help with hygiene he gets a good wipe down with some baby wipes and/or a nice soak in a warm bath. He still eats well, loves a cuddle as much as he ever did, and is just as happy to bound around on the floor chuntering to himself as he was three years ago.

He's such a sweet, precious, stinky, Terry Thomas-esque bounder of a boar. It'll be tough when he leaves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My childhood/parent's dog is about 18+ now. :\ She can't really see or hear at all now, and I think even her sense of smell is going. She's definitely senile, but is still alert and excited about food. She doesn't seem to have any arthritis or ever be in any pain at all. I know her time will be soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:39 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

zwingtip wrote:
My horse is 18, which isn't too old, but he's had a rough life. His arthritis is getting really bad so he's been having a hard time holding his feet up for the farrier the last couple of years. He has melanomas that are not under control despite our efforts. Early this past summer he stopped urinating and had to be rushed to the hospital where we found he has a degenerative condition of his bladder muscle. So now it's an issue of which one will kill him first. We've been together 8 years and my worst fear is that it's going to be time to let him go and I won't be there (He lives in NW PA and I go to school in SoCal and live in MA).

Dunno of this helps or hurts, but we knew a horse (Farana!) who had all of those issues plus a laundry list more, and was pert near blind and deaf. He hit the dirt at ripe ol' age of 37.

Any chance he's sustained spinal injury? Maybe try some body work? Has he been tested for enchephalomyelitis (horsey herpes)?

Apparently a lot of urinary issues can be ameliorated somewhat by changing feeds.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The hospital said it was an actual degeneration of the muscle that affects some older geldings after keeping him for a few days and running tests including looking at it with a scope. Can't remember the exact diagnosis right now. The only thing that can be done for this particular condition is a medication that has a 50% chance of working and costs more than his monthly board (can't afford). Otherwise he's on a low mineral diet to prevent buildup of the goopy stuff he can't expel and needs to drink more water and have his bladder de-sludged with a catheter twice a year. Doesn't bother him and isn't a problem right now unless he stops dribbling at which point the vet needs to be called.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh zwingtip, your poor horsey!

I think the new meds are working. Zoo doesnt look so decrepit today and shes been running up and down the stairs!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

my old guy carmine poops in his sleep sometimes lately, then the smell wakes him up. he's incredibly senile in so many other ways, i don't even know where to start. $500 worth of labs and vet exams in the last couple weeks tells us that he's perfectly healthy and will live forever! he might outlive me if i continue to get this little sleep from having to get up 10 times a night to comfort him and let him know where he is. at least he's been blind and deaf for some time now, so he won't have to adjust to those age-related problems in the future!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My mom called earlier to tell me that Trey, our oldest kitty (14) had some mild convulsions the other night. He has a stomach tumor, is blind in one eye, and is incredibly forgetful. I'm really worried and made her promise me to take him to the vet tomorrow.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My dog, Layla, is pretty old. She's 13 or 15, depending on who you ask. She seems to be suffering from arthritis. She used to love being picked up, but now if you pick her up in a wrong way, it hurts her and she yelps. I can't pet or rub her down near her hips. The other day I got a little too close to her hip and she yelped and nipped at me. She walks from room to room in a kind of dazed, confused, slow manner. And when she isn't, she just lays about the house. My parents do not care to get her any medical care for her, which I think is rather unfortunate. She even feels fragile. My sister believes she's going a bit senile.

We looked at her eyes the other day, and they've gotten cloudy. She's past the average age for Shih Tzus. I think we've managed to lengthen her life a bit by getting another dog a few years ago, because Layla refuses to take any nonsense from Lily and gets a little competitive with her, so she has more energy on some days. Lily tries to play, and it looks like Layla gets some odd joy out of denying her.

I really wish we could get her arthritis medication.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:22 am 
<3

No, they won't live forever. Old pets are endearing. So sad when they die.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

Whenever my mom phones me I ask how my dog is doing. He turns 13 in December and has had bad hips ever since he was young, but now he can't get up the stairs to the second floor anymore. My mom thinks he will be around for another year at least, though, since the hips are his only big problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My cat just turned 17. He has no health problems so far, and is actually fairly active, but I know he can't have THAT much longer. The puppy we got on the same day as him died five years ago, though she had throat cancer. Poor pets :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:26 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Every time one of my dear friends dies my heart breaks into a million pieces. With the pocket pets I know it's coming and it's usually really fast so I can deal better but with my canine pals it's always so hard because it's a slow process. Especially when you remember how active they were as pups. It's making me a bit teary now.

My thoughts are with you, rocklobster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:01 am 

gazebo wrote:
My cat just turned 17. He has no health problems so far, and is actually fairly active, but I know he can't have THAT much longer. The puppy we got on the same day as him died five years ago, though she had throat cancer. Poor pets :(

If he's in good health he could have a few good years ahead of him. My vet euthanised a 24yr old cat one night and has done several oral surgeries on cats over 20. If you're not already doing it, you might want to think about getting a blood panel done every 6 - 12 mths. It can be useful for picking up on things like chronic renal failure and treating them early.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:50 am 
Married to the wolfman

One of my guinea pigs, Pingpong, is getting to be downright ancient in guinea pig terms. He's 7ish. I remember when he was a tiny little guy and he used to run around like crazy and jump up in the air and wheet all the time and be super active. Now he's a sedate older guy. He likes to laze about fatly, which I guess is the true dream of all young guinea pigs. His fur is going quite white around his nose and mouth. He's so mellow when I pick him up these days, at least compared to how he used to be.

I'm so sad when I realize that it's mathematically impossible that we have more time left with him than we have spent with him so far. He's well past middle aged for a guinea pig.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next