| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh Seitanic and hoodwinked, I am so sorry. Hugs all around.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Hoodwinked wrote:

As I feared, Betty passed away while we were traveling. The sadness and guilt I feel are overwhelming. She must have felt so alone and abandoned. I so wish that I could have been there with her, to hold her and tell her I loved her as she went. I miss her terribly.

Hoodwinked, I'm so sorry, that's so hard. Betty sounds so sweet and so loved, I know she knew you loved her.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm so sorry to hear about Betty, Hoodwinked! Hugs to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:44 pm 

lepelaar wrote:
Oh, seitanicverses, I'm so sorry about Kizzy. :( I know you suspected it was coming soon, but it's always awful isn't it?

Madeleine.teacup, I'm sorry about your little old man cat.

Hugs to everyone who's lost an animal companion lately.

Thank you, lepelaar. I still can't quite wrap my head around it even though it was time, but I'll get there. My little neighbor cat has been coming over and visiting which I thought might make me sad but is actually very nice.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I got Kizzy's ashes back today. I'm happy to have him home again, if you know what I mean and if you don't know what I mean, that's all right too. I know what I mean. So that's something. He's in a nice little blue clay urn with a heart-shaped name plate on it tied with a ribbon. It's as purty as much as a depressing object can be. I put him in the closet near where Thurston likes to sleep with my other kitty urns.

How I miss my little boo! Thurston misses him too. I'll get another kitty when I'm ready and that will perk him right up. At least my spontaneous bouts of crying have lessened, though I am still tearing up occasionally, I don't feel grief-stricken every minute anymore, so there's a bit of progress.

Thanks again for the condolences and commisseration everyone. I know we all love our beautiful furbabies and how hard it is to let them go!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:35 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I know exactly what you mean. Hugs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:36 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The county animal control posted a dog for adoption that was clearly the same mix of beagle/jack russell that Chester was, but a girl, and ugh. Ugh. It was so tempting! Even though I don't want three dogs again for a looooong time, for a variety of reasons, it's difficult to not think you can fill that hole with another dog.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:23 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

+a million. It's been two and a half years and I still think the same thing when I see an Apple look-alike.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 pm 

So, since we have been talking about pet memorials/grieving that other people may find odd... I'm sending some of Sable's hair out to a woman who will spin it into yarn, and then knit it into something (I haven't decided what yet). I had been saving all of the undercoat I got out when I brushed her for a year or so before she died. I saw an article on people having dog hair made into scarves and things, and at first I thought it was weird, but then I thought "why not?" I would get so much nice fluffy hair every time I brushed her, and really it's no weirder than people using hair from alpacas or sheep or whatever if you think about it (and it's better because getting dog hair from brushing is totally humane!). After I had to put her to sleep, though, I was so upset that I couldn't even look at the big bag o' hair, so I stuck it in my closet for a while. But now I feel like I'm finally ready to get something done with it, so I will be mailing it out this week. I'm looking forward to getting it all spun into yarn and then deciding what I want made from it! I don't even care if people think I'm a total weirdo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awww...I think it's a fitting tribute. I remember Sable's beautiful, floofy hair. I'd love to see what you make with it! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

I currently have 8 cats. All but two are in their teens. Everyone is relatively healthy, thank goodness. But still, I get sad when I think about them leaving me, one by one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:29 pm 

I just packed up Sable's hair to ship out to be spun into yarn. And I did not think it would be this difficult to let go of a bunch of old hair. I took out a little tuft, and it was so soft, just like her... Now I'm terrified that the box will get lost in the bowels of the post office. I wrote "fragile" all over it in big letters, hoping the postal workers will be careful with it.

I went to cuddle my elderly bunny for comfort and she promptly bit me on the leg (but she's blind, so I don't think she even knew what she was biting). I know bunny doesn't have many years left in her, but I keep telling her to hang in there, and she is in remarkably good shape considering her age and health issues. I'm dreading the day when I'll see signs of her going downhill.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ugh, I know it's awful when they go downhill. I will say I was grateful Kismet's final decline was brief. Five days before he died was only when I started to have inklings something was really going wrong and only within his last two days did I realize it was really the end and he couldn't be saved--it was not drawn out and seemed to happen very fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

My pet isn't old, but I'm sad because he died today. I hope I can still post here.

RIP Thurston. 2007-2013

Kittenish: http://m79.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/senselessgibberish/Cutenesstake1-1.jpg.html?o=90&newest=1

http://m79.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/senselessgibberish/ThurstononAugust4-1.jpg.html?o=93&newest=1

With Teddy: http://m79.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/senselessgibberish/Thurstonandmyteddy.jpg.html?o=77&newest=1

Around one year old: http://m79.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/senselessgibberish/ThurstonAugust192008.jpg.html?o=98&newest=1

Sorry I don't know how to post pictures directly anymore. He was really cute though and I'll miss him forever. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:36 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My heart hurt for you when I read this, seitanicverses. It's always horrible losing an animal friend, and it's just not fair when they're taken away suddenly, and too soon like this. But that it happened so soon after you lost Kizzy... there are just no words. I'm so sorry.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Again, I'm so sorry seitanic, from the photos he looks like such a nice, handsome kitty. Big hugs.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Aww...thanks, guys. I was really feeling rotten last night about his short life and how unfair it all was but then I got out all my pictures of him on the computer and there are loads of him having fun, tons of him with Kizzy snuggling and cuddling and just in every photo it is clear that Thurston is enjoying himself and being loved all the time with love all around him and it reminded me about what a great, albeit short, life he had and how lucky he was to have found a fine home with me when there are many other homeless animals who don't get the same chance and it helped make me feel better about things. Also, at the beginning of his life, he was found in a dumpster at only a couple of weeks of age with five of his litter and only two (Thurston and another male from the litter) survived. The survivors of his litter had to be hand-raised by the rescue folks so he had a really bad start in life--I mean, someone literally threw my boo in the garbage once and thought of him as trash which is unfathomable to me, since he came to be so loved and so loving. Whatever I kindness and love I gave to him, he gave back to me tenfold which is true of all animals, I find.

Also, after he died, of course I called my sister immediately for sympathy and she provided it and as I was hanging up from our conversation, I told her in this sad little voice: "I'm going online to talk to my vegan friends about this now.... (sob)" Of course, I meant the PPK because you guys are the best and I know you completely understand how at a loss I feel. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 pm 

seitanicverses, I'm so sorry. So much all so fast for you, I can't imagine. I'm so glad you and Thurston found each other, and so happy he got to be so loved and loving.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Seitanic what a heartbreaking story that someone would throw kitties in the trash! He is SO lucky to have found you and it sounds like he had such a lovely life.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks, teacup.

I know, lobster, I was very appalled at the time to hear his backstory but the bright side is that a Good Samaritan found them and turned them in to a rescue instead of leaving them there and not caring or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Raspberrycomplaint, that actually sounds pretty unique and cool. Please let us know how it turns out!

Seitanicverses, I'm really sorry to hear about Thurston. It so sucks when any of our animal pals die, but there is something really hurtful when they are taken too soon. I am happy that he had you though, considering his start in life. And I like the pics; he was a pretty cat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks, emma, Thurston was indeed mighty purty. He had a fox-like face that was really cute and these yellowish eyes that were always wide-eyed with what seemed like amazement. He looked like he was always interested in everything going on around him and that's how he was! Always curious and exploring and finding new things to wonder about.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

my precious kitty Gabriel is 26 years old... she's my oldest friend and confidant.

she's been slowly declining over the last several months and her doctor and I have been doing everything humanly possible to help her stay healthy, but this morning she wasn't interested in eating and just stared into her water dish like she didn't know where she was.

when I went home for lunch, I got her to eat the tiniest bit of food... but all she really wanted to do was lay down on her pillow.

I know what's coming, and despite the fact that I've convinced myself I'm ready... I'm not.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Chuck Palahniuk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:34 pm 

Wow, 26 is amazing. It's so hard when you know they are nearing the end. I hope you and Gabriel still have some nice time ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My rabbit, Martin Brodeur, is maybe about 10 years old and his back legs have started to go. He has been on meds for a couple of weeks but it's not really helping any more. Most days, he is dragging himself around, no more hopping, jumping or even walking. It is so sad and pitiful. But he is still eating and drinking great so I am reluctant to make that final decision. He is the last of a mother and her 4 babies that I rescued long ago. I feel sad for him that he is the last one left but happy for him that he will likely be reunited with his family soon. I just feel awful when I am with him knowing that in a few days, he won't be with me anymore.

Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next