| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:16 pm 
WRETCHED

I hope she does Hollie.

I had a good talk with my mom earlier where I told her that she couldn't let her dog just go if she is in pain and I told her that dogs hide pain well. Shortly after that her dog laid on her side (she never does that), then started panting heavily. They are taking her in, my heart aches for her.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:18 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry linanil. It's so good of you to advocate for your pup, and I know your heart is breaking now.

Sending you so many good thoufths

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:53 am 
BAD PASS

Violet was back to "normal" within just a few hours of taking the medication. I cut down to a quarter pill (which the vet said to try) yesterday and she's still feeling good, it seems like.

I hope your mom's dog is okay, linanil. Gaaaah.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Is it possible for a dog to be very sick, and yet feisty and bossy and act all tough at the same time? I am sitting here at work worried about my Bogey. I know he has kidney failure and we are doing our best to take care of that, but last night he had diarrhea and then this morning it was still very soft, but it was black. Google tells me it's digested blood, so he must be bleeding internally. I am taking him to the vet of course, but it's just that when I walk him, he walks as if he owns the street, full of spunk and ready to pick up a fight with another dog if needed. Then we get home and he crashes in his bed. Till he has to go out again. And with his kidney failure, he goes out A LOT.

Is it possible for him to be that sick and yet act so alive? How can you tell? Is there a way?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:24 pm 
WRETCHED

It is possible. My mom's dog was very feisty until the last day despite being in late states kidney failure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm so glad Violet is feeling better, Hollie. Pain meds can make such a huge difference.

Angelina, my new guy was just recently diagnosed as diabetic and we are trying to figure out his best insulin dosage right now but it is taking some time. He can not be feeling well as his blood sugars can be quite high but he is definitely still being feisty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So like I said last page - Ginny was having some various digestive problems. They ran blood work and said it seems likely she has ulcers, a very high side effect of being on steroids so long like she is. So we treat her for ulcers, and she seems to get better! But two days after the week course ran out of the ulcer medicine they gave me, she just stops eating or drinking. This was yesterday. She didn't eat or drink of her own volition all day. We went to the vet in the evening and they gave her fluids and more ulcer and anti-nauseant medicine. But now it's been over 12 hours since the vet and there's not really any improvement. She drank once today of her own volition. I've syringe-fed her some food, but she hates that so much that I feel badly and keep hoping that the tummy meds will kick in and she'll want to eat.

She's so weak you guys. And just two days ago she was practically her old self! Oh and I didn't mention that in addition, it appears she's gone blind. So, she can't see a thing, and keeps trying to walk around on the bed to get comfy, but she can barely lift herself up, and falls down with each step. I try to help her, but she's so willful. I know in this situation a lot of people would probably be bringing her to be euthanized. I don't feel like I can do that. I feel like if I could just get her over this hump, get her eating again... The vet said she could be on the ulcer med for the rest of her life, so I feel like there's a possibility! But it's also entirely possible that her insulinoma has metastasized. The vets couldn't confirm that without testing that seemed pointlessly expensive at this point. But it's a possibility, in which case I guess her ulcer med won't help any other than reduce pain. I guess I just... I don't know, I guess I just want her to go naturally. I don't feel like I could euthanize her unless she was critical.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:31 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm so sorry Mars.

I will tell you what I told my mom, dogs really can't show their pain. I can understand the desire for a dog to go naturally but there is also a reason that euthanasia laws for people are finally happening. Deaths can be long and painful. I will say based on your situation, it seems like she needs another vet visit. You can also try different foods?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

linanil wrote:
I'm so sorry Mars.

I will tell you what I told my mom, dogs really can't show their pain. I can understand the desire for a dog to go naturally but there is also a reason that euthanasia laws for people are finally happening. Deaths can be long and painful. I will say based on your situation, it seems like she needs another vet visit. You can also try different foods?

I agree with this. Passing naturally is rarely peaceful, especially when there are chronic issues. It tends to be very slow, uncomfortable at best (very painful at worst), and they linger far longer than they should.

It's better to euthanize a day early rather than a day late, and it's okay to say goodbye if quality of life is low, but not totally gone yet.

I would definitely go back to the vet to dicuss other treatment options and prognosis. If you want to see if she bounces back, I'd request pain meds then to make sure she is comfy. If they're showing any discomfort at all, they tend to be painful, because pets hide pain very well.

I'm sorry you're going through this, and hope Ginny can bounce back<3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:00 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I sure hope you can get your old Ginny back too, Mars. That is so hard. Has she had more blood work? I wonder if her blood sugars have gone dangerously low, especially with your description of her falling down with each step.

I know how hard it is to consider putting a pet down but it sounds like she might already be reaching a critical point. If she doesn't make any great strides soon you may have to make some serious decisions :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Just FYI, Mars posted in the Worst Things thread that they had to have Ginny euthanized as she was clearly suffering.

I am so very sorry for your loss Mars. Ginny was a wonderful dog, and your relationship with her was so beautiful. Sending you many good thoughts as you grieve and I hope that in time the happy memories bring you some joy, to lighten your pain.

Many hugs <3. Rest in Peace Ginny.

Mars's post from the Worst Things thread: (spoilered for length):
Spoiler: show
Mars wrote:
- I brought Ginny to be euthanized this afternoon. It became quite apparent it was time. I really hated having to make that choice. But more than anything I feel so grateful for our 12 years together. And I feel a lot of relief that she's not suffering anymore. I actually am a bit shocked at that one, I really felt strongly before she passed that I wanted her to keep fighting, keep surviving like we have been since her diagnosis a year ago. But then laying in bed now - unable to sleep, thinking of her - I think, "I'm so happy for her right now."

I'm rambling. Thank you all for your words of concern, I'm so happy to know that I showed y'all how special she is, and how special our relationship is. God I love the fork out of that dog.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
Just FYI, Mars posted in the Worst Things thread that they had to have Ginny euthanized as she was clearly suffering.

I am so very sorry for your loss Mars. Ginny was a wonderful dog, and your relationship with her was so beautiful. Sending you many good thoughts as you grieve and I hope that in time the happy memories bring you some joy, to lighten your pain.

Many hugs <3. Rest in Peace Ginny.

Mars's post from the Worst Things thread: (spoilered for length):
Spoiler: show
Mars wrote:
- I brought Ginny to be euthanized this afternoon. It became quite apparent it was time. I really hated having to make that choice. But more than anything I feel so grateful for our 12 years together. And I feel a lot of relief that she's not suffering anymore. I actually am a bit shocked at that one, I really felt strongly before she passed that I wanted her to keep fighting, keep surviving like we have been since her diagnosis a year ago. But then laying in bed now - unable to sleep, thinking of her - I think, "I'm so happy for her right now."

I'm rambling. Thank you all for your words of concern, I'm so happy to know that I showed y'all how special she is, and how special our relationship is. God I love the fork out of that dog.

Just read that. Sorry again, Mars. I loved your stories about her.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:39 am 
BAD PASS

The vet said the cold was going to be hard on Violet's arthritis, and he was right. The pills aren't really doing much to help her with this recent cold spell, it looks like. She hasn't really wanted to go out, so I didn't make her before I went to bed. I woke up a few minutes ago and went to check on her and the basement was covered in diarrhea. She hasn't wanted to eat today, and I just tried to give her a pain pill with peanut butter and she won't eat that either. The vet is closed tomorrow and I cannot afford the emergency vet. I want to go get her some pepto pills (which work for dogs, btw!) but I don't know if she'll eat to take one. I might have to buy lunch meat to wrap it in? Ugh.

She's always been pretty subdued, so I can't tell if she's in a lot of pain, or if she's just kind of upset about the situation.

I've messaged the COO at the shelter where I volunteer, but I don't think I meet the parameters of who is allowed to use their low-cost vet care. But. Seeing as it's 3:30am, I don't think I'll hear from her for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hollie wrote:
The vet said the cold was going to be hard on Violet's arthritis, and he was right. The pills aren't really doing much to help her with this recent cold spell, it looks like. She hasn't really wanted to go out, so I didn't make her before I went to bed. I woke up a few minutes ago and went to check on her and the basement was covered in diarrhea. She hasn't wanted to eat today, and I just tried to give her a pain pill with peanut butter and she won't eat that either. The vet is closed tomorrow and I cannot afford the emergency vet. I want to go get her some pepto pills (which work for dogs, btw!) but I don't know if she'll eat to take one. I might have to buy lunch meat to wrap it in? Ugh.

She's always been pretty subdued, so I can't tell if she's in a lot of pain, or if she's just kind of upset about the situation.

I've messaged the COO at the shelter where I volunteer, but I don't think I meet the parameters of who is allowed to use their low-cost vet care. But. Seeing as it's 3:30am, I don't think I'll hear from her for a while.

I don't know if it is too late but you could also give liquid pepto via syringe into her mouth if you're like me and happen to have that sort of thing laying around.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:27 pm 
BAD PASS

I ended up getting her some cheese to put it in, but I gave her another half of her pain pill instead of the pepto. She's been out a few times and doesn't seem to have diarrhea anymore. She's drinking water, but she won't eat anything except the cheese.

I actually took the pepto because my stomach is in knots. I also bought a sleep aid so I can get some damn sleep finally.

It's supposed to be a little warmer the next few days. Hopefully that makes her arthritis less severe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Have you heard of snugglesafe? It's a brand of pet heating "pad" that releases slow, consistent heat. You microwave them and they produce heat for hours - just pop them in the bed/blankie of choice. They're hard so you have to pad around them well but they are safe and portable. Just a thought for you to look in to.

I sure hope you can get some sleep!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Emy isn't doing better today, and I don't know if it's my imagination but I think she might be worse. I'm taking her in tomorrow and am really hoping her blood work is the same as last time and this is all from just needing to get her nausea under control.

She went from normal kidney function to early stage 3 CRF about a month ago, and fluids and her current nausea meds had made her totally back to normal. Friday night she vomitted and then wouldn't eat, and even with her new anti acids still isn't eating. She would eat a few bites on her own, but I had to syringe feed her the rest.

I'm so scared this is the end. This is what can happen at the end of RF and I'm really worried her blood work tomorrow is going to show she is. I hope to god it's not and she just needs a few more days of anti nausea meds and some appetite stimulants to get her back on track.

She's 17.5. She's loved a long life, but I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and I am so not ready for this. She was totally fine Thursday night/Friday morning.

I had to go out of town for the day this morning and my mom is home with her and I've been calling her all day. She's not worse than this am but still not eating. I've had to keep leaving the room cause I just can't stop crying.

I'm heading home now, but have a three hour drive.

I really hope this isn't the end.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:27 pm 
BAD PASS

I'll check into them. Thank you.

I have a heating pad on ONE of her beds, because it's close to the outlet, but she's been lying on the one furthest from the outlet. Of course.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:29 am 
BAD PASS

Simply_Love, I didn't see your post last night. Looks like we are in the same boat. I'm going to try to get her in at the vet after work today, but I think it's the end.

I don't want her to suffer for one second, and she's clearly in pain and very upset. But then I feel like I'd be selfish if I chose to put her down, because this whole thing is the one of the worst feelings I can remember ever feeling and I want it to stop. I can't sleep, I can't carry on a conversation at work today without crying, I can't stop worrying about her hurting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:57 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sorry Hollie, I didn't see yours either.

I'm sorry about Violet. It's so hard when they get old, and they always seem to go down hill quick.

I hear you on the not sleeping and feeling selfish. Ugh.

I talked to work and I think I might be able to bring her in this morning instead of waiting till the afternoon, which is good but just means likely bad news sooner. Really hoping her blood work is okay and this is just a thing that needs to be dealt with, but I know it could really go either way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:12 pm 
BAD PASS

Okay. Cautiously optimistic.

When I got home from work she was upstairs on the couch. She wasn't able to make it up the stairs yesterday. She went outside and ate a little and drank her water. I still need her to poop and I'll feel better still.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:59 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That's good Hollie! I hope she bounces back.

Cautiously optimistic as well. Kitty's kidney values had improved (which was the hope with fluids), but pancreas values and a few others were weird. Underlying GI disease and possible pancreatitis are suspected now. Changed some meds and added an appetite stimulant, and she's eating an almost normal amount on her own now (was having to syringe feed her till yesterday night). Energy level is back up, probably from getting enough food now. I tried my best to syringe feed her enough, but she fought me on it and a lot got spit out :(

Currently waiting for the referral coordinator to call me back to see if we can get her in for an ultrasound this week. If not, we have a traveling radiologist we use at work that is coming in next week.

Pancreatitis isn't the greatest, and underlying GI could be something not so great either, but for now her vet thinks this is something we can manage. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:01 pm 
BAD PASS

Cautious optimism high five, SL! ...it's a lot better than the previous way I (and I imagine you) felt, which was "being repeatedly stabbed in the gut."

I went home at lunch and she came up to greet me with her tail wagging. I nearly cried.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm 
BAD PASS

I had to let Violet go.

I went home to check on her and she was...she couldn't get up and she was just really bad. I called the vet and they let me come right away. She tried so hard to jump into the car, but she couldn't. I lifted her and I could tell it hurt her so bad and she was in so much pain. I stayed and held her. I'm back at work because I didn't want to be home alone. I haven't been home without her for 15 years.

I didn't make any Thanksgiving plans because I was going to be staying home with her. The [pet] shelter was desperately needing volunteers for Thanksgiving day, so I'm going there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:29 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm so sorry Hollie. Hugs and healing thoughts to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next