| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hollie I am so so sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:03 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm a bit concerned about Stu and will be taking him to the vet. He's not as lively as usual, his breathing is a bit pant-like and he's having trouble eating some things. My guess is that he may need heart meds and dentistry. Poor old man.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am so sorry Hollie, I really hoped she was perking up.

So many hugs for you <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

oh hollie and mars, i'm so sorry for your losses. :-(

sadie was eating kibble fantastically as of last month, and then all of a sudden stopped wanting to eat it. she then also stopped wanting to eat her peanut butter! and no more oatmeal either. so now we're down to green beans and carrots and canned natural balance food. (she can even tell when i cut the canned stuff with oatmeal) :-(

she lost 4 more lbs, and can no longer climb up steps. she stubbornly wanted to go the long way during our last walk and then she needed to be carried for the second half.

the vet took some blood and pee, now we're waiting. she felt some enlarged lymph nodes (especially on her neck), and her gums were pale. she didn't take a biopsy just yet. she's going to examine the blood results first before she goes poking.

she still refuses to take the tramadol, but the anti-inflammatory pill is nice and tiny, i can just shove it inside a steamed carrot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

sadie had lymphoma. :-( we put her to sleep on thursday. i'm still numb. (she's [at least] the 5th PPK dog to die in 2 weeks)

i didn't want to (nor could we really afford to) put her through chemotherapy, and 2 of her legs were already swollen, so it was only a matter of time before she'd get fluid in her chest. (we wouldn't be able to put her on steroids because we managed to get some tramadol in her via cow cheese, and tramadol and steroids don't play well together, so we'd have to wait 3 days to get the tramadol out of her system before introducing steroids.)

she had coccidia parasite and a UTI, and she was anemic, and was losing protein, so it was doubtful we'd get anywhere close to the best case scenario even if we did do chemo.

she was stubborn up until the end. she wanted her IV out, and seemed perfectly alert. (she was actually doing much better than wednesday. her front leg started to reduce swelling a little bit, and she was able to put her weight on her feet and walk really slowly with support. I wanted another day or two with her, but we'd be out of the house all day friday for my grandpa's funeral [what timing, eh?], and i was terrified she'd die at home alone in pain. so mr. carrot left work and we spent her last few minutes by her side petting and kissing her. then we drowned our sorrows in pizza.)

i feel horrible that her last days were spent having pills shoved in her mouth. (and that we gave her more than one serving of liquid tramadol that she utterly hated and spent a half hour smacking her tongue and shaking her head, trying to get the flavor off.) if we had known it was lymphoma, we'd have taken her on a really long "walk" and wouldn't have bothered with the parasite and UTI medicine, and would have cuddled non-stop.

(when I brought her to her ultrasound appointment [that turned into a needle aspirate and then the unthinkable] on thursday, i actually tied a sheet into a sling, and that worked really well!) her previous appointment was horrible. i didn't have the arm power to bring both her and a bag of stuff into the vet's office AND open their heavy door/lock the car door, so i put her on the chair [thinking her muscles weren't strong enough to move] and ran quickly to grab the bag that was right outside the door, and i was less than a foot away when she pulled herself forward and slid off and tumbled to the floor. :-( i probably looked like a crazy person with the sling, but it helped so much, and i was able to stay with her the whole time.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:08 pm 
BAD PASS

I'm so sorry. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:38 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Hollie, I'm so so sorry I didn't see your sad news earlier. Supercarrot, I'm also so sorry to hear about Sadie.

Even when we see them getting old, their time just sneaks up on us so fast. I know you both must be so devastated right now, but take comfort in knowing how much love and compassion your sweet gals got from you, and what wonderful lives you were able to bless them with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:40 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The ultrasound two weeks ago showed Emy has either IBD or lymphoma, but lymphoma is most likely due to her age :(

She isn't a good candidate for chemo due to her kidney issues, so she's on steroids to help slow progression (in cats, lymphoma tends to be GI not wide spread like in dogs, so steroids can help slow it), and is 100% back to her normal self. Around the same time her kidney failure was diagnosed, she had started being a bit hesitant to eat at times (though still eating everything eventually), but that had improved with kidney treatment so the vet and I both thought it was related to nausea. With the steroids though, she is totally back to her normal scarfing down every meal instantly self, so it seems like that actually might have been related to this :/

I'm so sad. She was the cat that was always so healthy that I always hoped would live to be 20+, while her sister had a lot of problems, and now she is my sick cat and her sister my healthier one. Its hard to know prognosis with lymphoma, but since she's responded really well to steroids and hasn't had another episode, so we're hoping she has some good time left.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:40 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ginny had over a full year (maybe year and a half? I can't remember) on steroids to suppress her cancer. Just got to watch out for the negative side-effects of long-term steroid use - ulcers being a big one. Ginny got ulcers in her eyes first, then GI. The eyes were not so bad to deal with, but I do think it would have gone down better if I was better at remembering to give her the topical antibiotic cream twice a day. And as far as the GI ulcers, those kind of ultimately ended up killing her, and I really think that if I had given her the ulcer medication at first symptoms of GI upset, things wouldn't have got so bad. When I did give it to her, it was a week's worth, and she did seem to get better. But when it ran out - she went downhill fast. The vets said they could have given a long term prescription for that, but for some reason didn't tell me that until after I ran out and she was sick again. Anyhow! I don't mean to say any of this as a bummer, ulcers can be treated! Just wish I knew to treat them as long-term, never-going-away ulcers and not thinking that they'd heal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:53 pm 
BAD PASS

The vet called and said I could come and pick up Violet's ashes. At first thought, it was just like, "Oh, okay, thank you. I'll be by today." But now that I think about it, I am so not emotionally ready to do that right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:15 am 
Impressive boner

Peanut is a very elderly guinea pig at 7 years and 10 months. Her friend Mina died suddenly two weeks ago and Peanut appears to have been grieving. She doesn't squeak for food, hides in her igloo or tunnel, has lost weight and is not the same piggy as she was a month ago. We weren't going to get her a new friend (she's not alone, her neighbour George is only separated from her by a divider) as she has PCOS and new females can engage her hormones. Her age and weight make spay surgery too risky so she had HCG injections in the past that kept it under control.

George is a big, chubby, happy boy who wants to make friends but he's too rough for her wee old bones so I'm making enquiries about adopting an older sow. There'll be a two week quarantine on the new piggy and I just hope Peanut picks up and gets to spend time with a new friend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Simply_Love wrote:
The ultrasound two weeks ago showed Emy has either IBD or lymphoma, but lymphoma is most likely due to her age :(

She isn't a good candidate for chemo due to her kidney issues, so she's on steroids to help slow progression (in cats, lymphoma tends to be GI not wide spread like in dogs, so steroids can help slow it), and is 100% back to her normal self. Around the same time her kidney failure was diagnosed, she had started being a bit hesitant to eat at times (though still eating everything eventually), but that had improved with kidney treatment so the vet and I both thought it was related to nausea. With the steroids though, she is totally back to her normal scarfing down every meal instantly self, so it seems like that actually might have been related to this :/

I'm so sad. She was the cat that was always so healthy that I always hoped would live to be 20+, while her sister had a lot of problems, and now she is my sick cat and her sister my healthier one. Its hard to know prognosis with lymphoma, but since she's responded really well to steroids and hasn't had another episode, so we're hoping she has some good time left.

Hoping its IBD! I have an almost 12 year old that was thought to have either IBD or lymphoma. We tried all the treatments for IBD and none of them cleared it up so we opted for the full invasive full tissue biopsies with exploratory surgery and even though the ultrasound looked like cancer all of her biopsies were negative for cancer and the surgeon said her tissues looked pretty healthy.

Hoping for the same for you! My kitty is also on steroids for life now and my vet said cats don't get as many side effects as dogs, but diabetes is a concern with long term use. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

rohai wrote:
Hoping its IBD! I have an almost 12 year old that was thought to have either IBD or lymphoma. We tried all the treatments for IBD and none of them cleared it up so we opted for the full invasive full tissue biopsies with exploratory surgery and even though the ultrasound looked like cancer all of her biopsies were negative for cancer and the surgeon said her tissues looked pretty healthy.

Hoping for the same for you! My kitty is also on steroids for life now and my vet said cats don't get as many side effects as dogs, but diabetes is a concern with long term use. Good luck!

Thanks! She is doing really well so far, with no signs of worsening condition.

If she were a younger cat/better candidate for surgery or chemo, I would do the biopsies in a heart beat. I like to have all the data I can, but having this just appear at 18 and with her u/s results, it's pretty unlikely it's not lymphoma :( I think just knowing for sure would make me feel guilty I can't do more for her. She's responded amazingly to the addition of pred and metronidazole though (not a typical drug used with lymphoma, but the hope was it's anti-inflammatory effects would lessen her need for more pred), so I'm really hopeful she'll be around for a while longer :)

I'm glad your kitty is doing so well on pred! It's really magic for cats with IBS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:44 pm 
Impressive boner

Poor Peanut is having good days and bad days. Her arthritis is really affecting her mobility, she has an issue with proprioception in the same legs and her palette/appetite is up and down. Her anti inflammatories have been doubled and she's on a tiny daily dose of Zylkene now, as well as a calcium binding diuretic to combat bladder stones. She seems alert enough most of the time and sometimes squeaks or begs for food but it feels like I'm providing palliative care now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 am 
Saggy Butt

I have a super old cat, Miaowski, she is around 20 years old. She's had some dental problems lately, but has otherwise been in good health and a proper nuisance. But she's gone downhill a lot in the past few days. Not really eating, and wobbling about :( She's off to the vet with my boyfriend in a couple of hours and I'm bracing myself for bad news :/

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

I think my pup is older than I was told she was. She should be 7-9 years old now (3-5 when she came to live with me), but she's getting arthritic, she is having lots of trouble hearing and her eyes are going milky.

Eh. She's still adorable and I still adore her.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:22 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

ponnuki wrote:
I think my pup is older than I was told she was. She should be 7-9 years old now (3-5 when she came to live with me), but she's getting arthritic, she is having lots of trouble hearing and her eyes are going milky.

Eh. She's still adorable and I still adore her.

My dog is definitely older than I was told (I was shocked when the vet said we should do "senior panel" blood work after I'd adopted what I thought was a 2-3 year old), but he is the absolute best and I wouldn't have him any other way. I'm guessing he's 7 now, but it turns out he's mostly chihuahua (so many surprises with this dude) so I'm hoping he sticks around for a long, long time.

My condolences to everyone who has lost a pet recently. They were all so lucky to having humans who loved them so deeply.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:25 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

So I have a dog who's "mine" but she lives pretty much full time with my ex. She prefers being the only dog in the house, so it works out well. However, I have a hard time with it because I think he (and his gf) and I have different ideas regarding quality of life. Molly is now 16 years old and can barely walk, on certain surfaces, on a good day. She cannot use the 'potty' unassisted because if she squats her legs will give out on her. She often pees or poops where she is lying (but they are swift to swoop in and clean it up). This weekend she was diagnosed with a likely brain tumor and so we're going to be giving her palliative care until she passes naturally. She basically walks in circles (when she can even stand up), it's heartbreaking. My ex and his gf love her very much and to be fair, they spend the most amount of time with her and observe her far more often than I do. But it also breaks my heart to see Molly so frail and disoriented and helpless. The important thing is that she is loved. It's just hard because I don't know how much of her quality of life is genuine and how much of it is what my ex and his gf are projecting/want to see.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:35 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

awww, that's super hard, Erika :( Sorry to hear about Molly. She's practically a PPKer, too. It's so hard with animals because they can't tell us what they want. I wish we could have advanced directives with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:17 am 
WRETCHED

I'm sorry to hear that Erika. My mom's dog Penny was in a similar situation and my mom wanted her to die naturally at home, it took a lot of coaxing by me to help her see that probably wasn't the best route. And yeah I wish animals could tell us what they want.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:56 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm so sorry to hear about Molly. She's a sweet girl, and I hope it's a comfort to know that even if you don't all necessarily agree on the best course of action right now, she's at least surrounded by people who love her and want the best thing for her.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:19 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

It turns out when I saw her a month ago she'd just had her anti-inflammatory medication halved by the vet. My ex and his gf also noticed her behavior being drastically different, and the vet advised them to give her the regular dosage again. That put her in much better spirits, and so she's been doing okay the last month or so. However, this week she's declined again and we've decided it's time. So we have an appointment for tomorrow for someone to come to his house. I'm going over to see her tonight and of course to be there tomorrow. I'm sad to be saying goodbye but I feel good knowing that we did all we could to make the last half of her life full of love and yummy snack foods, and that she loved us in her own little funky snaggletoothed way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im getting really sad about our senior pup Willy. i think he is ok for now but he has aged dramatically over the last few months. he is 10-12ish and a lab mutt and his back hips are going.
we recently changed his supplement to one the vet recommended for arthritis and added salmon oil to his diet but he is not on meds yet as he doesnt seem to be in actual pain he just is wobbly.

i had some extra time yesterday which is rare and decided to take both dogs on a bonus walk (my husband usually walks them in the morning) and i noticed his back right leg is worse than his left. every so often his right foot would drag and his nails would scrape across the ground.

it just made me so sad :-(
i feel helpless because it's just aging. i cant stop it :-( :-(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:51 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

If it helps at all, rear end degeneration is soooo common and for a largeish, male, hound-y dog it's not a surprise at all. Some dogs can do really well despite it with assistance/bracing/wheelchairs. It is sad to watch but absolutely something he can live with for a while considering he has such a loving family who will help accommodate him, if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's good to know Moon. my only experience other than knowing it's very common in large dogs and also in labs is the dog we had when i was a kid. supposedly she was a purebred lab without paperwork (the more i hear of this story i suspect she was backyard bred). she was the large type of lab and was 100+ lbs.
this ws back in the 80s when vet care and pet life in general wasnt what it is today and she was an outside dog. one day when she was 10 she disappeared long enough for it to be alarming and eventually my dad found her a bit down the street by the swamp and she could no longer walk because her hips gave out. they brought her back up the street by rolling her onto a blanket and carrying her.
she was put to sleep a day or two later because she could no longer walk.

since i was young i dont have any idea what led up to that. she may have been having trouble for a long time and i just didnt notice.

Willy is a smaller lab. he's only about 60 lbs and possibly a mutt. we have no idea about his background because he was a stray before he was in the pound. one of our dog trainers we took him to who was an expert with reactive dogs said she wondered if he was a singleton based on his behavior.

the interesting thing about his back right leg being worse is he was mauled very badly by another dog in 2009 and one of the areas the dog bit him was his back right hip/thigh area and several years later he was trying to be a mountain goat in Acadia Natl Park and jump up a bunch of rocks while hiking and slid down on his butt and then a bunch of the scar tissue from his attack popped out. before it really hadnt been predominant until he slid down some rocks on it. now i wonder if his leg got a little damaged when he was bitten. i dont feel like going back and looking at the pictures of him post attack to see where the other bite wounds were :-(

we've made some simple accomadations for him since realizing how bad his legs were getting. i ordered a ramp for my husband's SUV because my husband was having him get a running start and then would boost him. when i took him to the vet in my Prius and he fell trying to get into the back seat i realized it was time for a ramp.
i bought an extra throw rug and dug up one we had to put on the wood floor in the sunroom where they come inside after going out to go to the bathroom because he always comes running full speed ahead and cant control his legs anymore and goes skidding across the room and crashes into things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next