| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh, I'm sorry about Chester. It sounds like you knew him well and made the right choice.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
*he's in a fancy carved box on my desk, Brian says I am not allowed to take the box on walks or to family events. What a forking jerk.

I never thought about this before, but now I kind of want to put my dog's urn in a stroller and take her for a walk. I can picture people stopping and peering into the stroller, expecting a baby...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:17 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I made lots of jokes on the way there and back, because that's how I deal with things, but Brian made the best one: "Everyone grieves differently, but you are not allowed to post weird selfies of you with the ashes."

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I slept with Effie's ashes in my bed for a while. I would probably just keep them there forever if I always slept alone. Nothing wrong with some dead dog selfies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:17 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oh I also picked up Effie's ashes from the vet on the way to a first date, so I had them in my bag the whole time. It's pretty surprising that I did not bring them out, but probably good because I might have left them in the bar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm really tempted to get one of those tiny pendant canisters that you can put a small amount of ashes in, so you can keep some with you all the time, but i think i'd always wonder which bit of her had made it in there. i'm also afraid that i would talk to it as if i were taking her on a tour.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:46 pm 
Impressive boner

Bruce is getting the bony back feeling that aging guinea pigs do. He's not lost weight but is losing muscle mass and he's probably the most active and happy I've seen him in a couple of years. He hops over his dish and his plushie, popcorns, squeaks and rummages a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

It's such a relief you guys are here. My sister thinks I'm strange for having my kitties ashes (I keep them in my closet in their boxes because the urns are clay and seem highly breakable to me) and doesn't understand why it's important to me to have them so I love seeing other folks like me for whom its part of their grieiving. And we can make cremains jokes, too! I talk to my kitties cremains, and take their urns out of their storage boxes and say hello and catch up now and then. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

acr wrote:
i'm really tempted to get one of those tiny pendant canisters that you can put a small amount of ashes in, so you can keep some with you all the time, but i think i'd always wonder which bit of her had made it in there. i'm also afraid that i would talk to it as if i were taking her on a tour.

I wondered this too about the cremains jewelry--you know where there's that service where they make gems out of loved ones for rings, etc. One of the things I'd wonder would be which parts body actually made it into the ring. "Is this left fourth phalanx of Uncle Fester?" I mean, the gems are so small. Where's the rest of Uncle Fester?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I don't think there's any wrong way to grieve. The fancy box was from the vet, on the way there I told Brian that I didn't know why I even asked for them because I didn't plan on keeping them in an urn or anything - that's just not me. But the box is really nice, so I guess i'll keep them instead of spreading them. I could put some in my garden or something, but I don't want to open the plastic bag. I just know i'm gonna dump it or inhale dog dust or something.

Either way, I absolutely did not want to bury him because I handled Bonny being in the back yard very, very badly.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

8ball wrote:
Bruce is getting the bony back feeling that aging guinea pigs do. He's not lost weight but is losing muscle mass and he's probably the most active and happy I've seen him in a couple of years. He hops over his dish and his plushie, popcorns, squeaks and rummages a lot.

yeah, that bony back feeling is always depressing. I find most animals get it as they get more elderly. I know cats do. Kizzy is definitely losing weight but that aspect of his deterioration is not especially dramatic at the moment. The problem right now is that his vision seems to be failing and now he's missing his jumps, etc. and sometimes, he sort of looks around craning his neck all over the place with this amazed look on his face but I think what's happening is that he's looking for his lost vision, if you know what I mean. I feel like something happened to his eyes this week and he's trying to get used to it, figure out where his eyesight has gone and it's making me so sad. Although today, again, he seems a bit better and his pupils are constricting and he's responding better when I sort of test his eyes in my layman's way (his pupiils seemed mostly dilated earlier this week, which worried me). He's just down one day and up the next and it's a strong pattern now. I talked to the vet's office this morning and I may bring him in Monday so they can check his kidney levels. I said I'd keep an eye on things over the weekend for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

seitanicverses wrote:
It's such a relief you guys are here. My sister thinks I'm strange for having my kitties ashes (I keep them in my closet in their boxes because the urns are clay and seem highly breakable to me) and doesn't understand why it's important to me to have them so I love seeing other folks like me for whom its part of their grieiving. And we can make cremains jokes, too! I talk to my kitties cremains, and take their urns out of their storage boxes and say hello and catch up now and then. <3 <3 <3

Totally not strange. Or if it is, we can all be strange together. There are currently 4 boxes of pet ashes at my house. We had to start labeling them so we know who is who, since 3 of them are in the exact same style wooden box. My mother says that we will probably end up having to add on another room to our house specifically for pet urns, since we just keep getting more pets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh MBM, I'm so sorry. I super enjoyed the pics on your blog, especially Chester running in the snow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

I had to put Kizzy this sleep this morning. I'm crying as I type this. My little sunshiney boy is gone and my heart is shattered. It was peaceful but awful nevertheless because saying goodbye forever breaks my heart under any circumstances. My lil Boo, my little buttercup, my little Buddha. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:50 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm so sorry! damn. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks! I put a little orchid in his cat bed when I got back and just can't believe I won't hold him in my arms again or listen to him purr or kiss that little spot on top of his head where my lips just fit. His dishes and stuff are still out and will probably stay so for a few days until I get used to the idea of him really being gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I am so sorry. My old bunny was nicknamed Kizzy, so it always made me smile when you posted about your Kizzy. I'll be thinking of you, and everyone who has lost a pet recently.

Maybe someday we should do a tribute to all the ppk pets who have passed on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, raspberry. I think we even had a tribute thread at some point on the old boards like you describe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm so sorry seitanicverses and MBM :( *hugs*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Seitanicverses and MBM, I'm so sorry. I just had to put my little old man cat to sleep and it's so terrible and hard even when it is absolutely the right thing to do.

My guy was sort of a special needs cat so I feel a little bit like I have to untrain myself from the last...two decades almost. I can put that bag there now, this door doesn't have to be closed now and so on. It's weird and I miss him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh, seitanicverses, I'm so sorry about Kizzy. :( I know you suspected it was coming soon, but it's always awful isn't it?

Madeleine.teacup, I'm sorry about your little old man cat.

Hugs to everyone who's lost an animal companion lately.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:43 am 
WELFARIST!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

And now I see my 6-year-old Thurston really looking around wondering where Kizzy's gone now. He keeps going to the spots where Kizzy would hang out, sitting there, as if waiting for him to come back. Poor Boo! I keep telling him I'm sorry he's lost his friend. His little world is so much smaller than mine and Kizzy being gone is a huge loss for him. They did get to sleep together for a couple of hours the night before I had to take Kizz to the vet for the last time, so they had some nice time together at the end and I'm grateful for that but now Thurston's hurting from the loss and it's pain to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 pm 
Chip Strong

Hoodwinked wrote:
I took in Betty about 8 months or so ago. She is a 15 your old sheltie and was dumped at the shelter. she is the sweetest girl. we found out recently that she has a large tumor in her belly. she went back to the vet this weekend because she was digging at her legs, pulling out all her hair. The vet said that her cancer has spread to her heart and the skin issues are related to liver failure. My poor sweet darling is fading. To make all of this even more heartbreaking, I am going on vacation next week for two weeks. Betty will be boarded at the vet so at a least she will have good medical care and will be appropriately monitored. But I am terrified that she will die while I am away. I feel like I am abandoning her as she nears the end. I don't want her to feel dumped again and I desperately want her to feel loved at the end. I really don't think I can cancel my trip. I am at such a loss and my heart is breaking for my sweetie girl.

As I feared, Betty passed away while we were traveling. The sadness and guilt I feel are overwhelming. She must have felt so alone and abandoned. I so wish that I could have been there with her, to hold her and tell her I loved her as she went. I miss her terribly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 pm 
Chip Strong

seitanicverses wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

And now I see my 6-year-old Thurston really looking around wondering where Kizzy's gone now. He keeps going to the spots where Kizzy would hang out, sitting there, as if waiting for him to come back. Poor Boo! I keep telling him I'm sorry he's lost his friend. His little world is so much smaller than mine and Kizzy being gone is a huge loss for him. They did get to sleep together for a couple of hours the night before I had to take Kizz to the vet for the last time, so they had some nice time together at the end and I'm grateful for that but now Thurston's hurting from the loss and it's pain to see.

my sympathies at your loss. hugs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:56 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm so sad for everyone! i wish i could round you all up and make you soup and give you baby goats to hug.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I am so sorry about Betty. I'm sure the vets gave her the best care possible, and I'm 100% sure that Betty knew you loved her, even if you couldn't be there. Hugs to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next