| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hoodwinked wrote:
My rabbit, Martin Brodeur, is maybe about 10 years old and his back legs have started to go. He has been on meds for a couple of weeks but it's not really helping any more. Most days, he is dragging himself around, no more hopping, jumping or even walking. It is so sad and pitiful. But he is still eating and drinking great so I am reluctant to make that final decision. He is the last of a mother and her 4 babies that I rescued long ago. I feel sad for him that he is the last one left but happy for him that he will likely be reunited with his family soon. I just feel awful when I am with him knowing that in a few days, he won't be with me anymore.

I don't know about rabbits, but I know that in rats hind end degeneration isn't unusual or painful and most live quite happily with some changes made to their habitats. As long as their owners take out ramps, make sure bedding is soft and help the animals clean themselves, things can be fine for many more months (keeping in mind rats have such short lifespans, months are like years).

Big hugs to you and Martin.

Big hugs to zero and Gabriel, too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:10 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

thank you both for your kind words - Gabe passed thursday morning. She is sorely missed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am 
WELFARIST!

Awww...so sorry to hear, zero. 26 is a long life for a kitty and I'm sure it was wonderful for her so long as she was cared for by you.

Hoodwinked, it's so rough to see our precious boos declining.

Hugs all around! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So sorry zero33. <3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:57 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i noticed yesterday that ophelia's face seemed swollen on the right side. i finally managed to get a look in her mouth today while she was sleeping, and there's pus and blood, so this is a really bad scene. i called the vet right away, but they said they can't get me in until wednesday morning. she's eating (even dry food) and drinking with no coercion, and it's hard to tell how bad she feels, but i'm really afraid that this will be the end. she's 21, and her age and her kidney disease make sedation dangerous, but i can't risk letting the infection worsen or spread, and i know that she's probably in a lot of pain, even if she's acting like she doesn't care. she's always been tiny, but now she's so skinny that if she even thinks about going off her food she'll be finished. i am filled with panic, and i can't believe we have to wait another day and a half! i already feel like the worst cat mom in the world for letting it get this bad. :( 21 years is so many years, and i've been so lucky to have her all that time, and my rational brain knew we were getting close, but man do i hate facing this. i asked them to let me know right away if a spot opens up. i don't know how i'm going to do anything in the meantime.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

acr - is there an emergency clinic where you live?

seitanicverses & blondiefk, thank you... it's been hard :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ughhhh, Sadie just got diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

She's around 17, which I know is old for a dog, but it just feels like too soon. I'm hopeful that she'll have at least a little longer with us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Big hugs to everyone. Wishing good thoughts for Sadie and Ophelia. zero33 I'm sorry for your loss...

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Cuddles is 11ish - we got him 7 years ago, and no one knows anything about his life before he was rescued by Pets for Life. I am completely in denial about how much he has slowed down because I am not ready to lose him, but last night he didn't sleep well and pretty much didn't bother getting up for food or to pee or anything. He perked up on his walk, but basically for the last few months, he goes for a short walk and then comes home and sleeps all day on the couch.

I've asked our vet if there is anything we can do, and he says that Cuddles is very healthy for a senior pup, but that age gets us all in the end.

I am dreading the inevitable. I love him so much. I really feel like a piece of my heart opened when I first fell in love with him. And Leela loves him so much. He is the best dog I could imagine, and I can't imagine another dog who will let a toddler dress him up at will.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:54 pm 

My dog is old (18 in 2 weeks!) and I'm sad.

We went back to the vet today and he has been put on stronger antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds for infections in his mouth and right eye. If he isn't better in one week we'll probably have to make the decision to have him euthanised :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:55 pm 

Sadie is 17 and we're taking her on her final trip to the vet in an hour and a half. I just wish she could spend this last hour or so happy and hungry instead of in pain and hardly able to sit still.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Pastabake, I'm sorry. That sucks so hard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:48 am 
WELFARIST!

<3 <3 <3 and hugs to y'all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:26 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

The last couple of time I've had Molly it's been really hard. She's losing more control of her legs and standing up has become a difficult task for her. She has an affinity for squeezing herself into difficult spots to get out of. Today I came in from the garden to hear her whimpering, and I ran to find her wedged in the 18 inches or so between my bed and the wall. Even though I'd laid a blanket down for her, she'd kicked it out of the way and was scrambling on the slick hardwood and could not get up. I tried to reach in and give her some support from under her belly but she kept yelping and nipping at me. Ultimately what I had to do was put her harness on, lift her torso from behind, slip a pant leg underneath her belly, and use that to lift her up onto her back feet.

Molly is a nasty old curmudgeon but it still breaks my heart into a million pieces to know she's hurting and scared. I can handle her slowing down and filling out, but I can't handle her aging painfully and losing control of her body.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I'm sorry, Erika. There were times when dealing with Chester was very frustrating and I wanted to cry and yell at him at the same time, like he would sometimes yelp if you moved to touch him/touched him lightly as an anticipation of pain. We bought rubber dog booties to keep him from sliding and they would slowly slip off, were a two person job to get on, and one of the few times he tried to bite me was when I tried to put one on by myself. So I just gave up and dealt with him slip-n-sliding until we moved.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:34 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

ophelia was admitted to the emergency hospital at around 4:00 this morning. she'd been on antibiotics for a pretty severe urinary tract infection for six weeks and just got her last dose monday. she'd seemed weak off and on over the course of the treatment, but she usually rebounded within 24 to 48 hours, and i was really hopeful that once we finished the medication and got back to a normal routine she'd start to feel better. a few weeks ago it seemed like she was finally turning the corner and was starting to feel like herself again, albeit her rickety ancient cat self, but last night she couldn't walk or hold herself up, and at the emergency vet they said her hematocrit was really low, possibly because her kidneys have gotten a lot worse since her bloodwork in april (like, shockingly, unbelievably worse), and she needed a blood transfusion. she'll probably be there for a couple of days. i think i was sort of in shock and felt like this couldn't really be how things were going to go, and that's why i agreed to go all in to treat her, but now i'm so afraid of putting her through a lot of stress and and poking and prodding and having that be the last thing she experiences. i don't want that to be how things end for her. and i think that whether she makes it out of the hospital o.k. or not, my time with her is basically over. i knew we were getting close, but i feel so lost right now. i want to be angry at her regular vet for not checking her bloodwork six weeks ago, but we had just done it, and it was normal, and she had obvious blood in her urine, and i know that assuming the infection was causing all her problems was reasonable. but i can't stop hating myself for not asking more questions or being more proactive or insisting that they look at her kidney values again or anything that might have kept things from getting this bad. i feel like i let my hopefulness about her recovery interfere with my interpretation of her actual symptoms, and i just failed her completely.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:28 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm so sorry to hear Ophelia is having a rough time :( its always really tough to get through these situations and make the decisions that are best for you and her. Don't blame yourself for not being more pro-active, you can't see the future. Thats the trick with medicine, it may be a science but its so unpredictable. You are right, you did what made sense, doing blood work every month isn't reasonable, its expensive and causes undue stress to her, too! you sound like you care for her dearly and I'm sure she is in the best care possible. Don't hesitate to call the hospital and talk to the doctor again if you are doubting the plan you chose and would rather have her at home. It's their job to make the both of you comfortable. I agree that if the vet thinks these are her last few days, maybe the hospital isn't the best place for her to be. Talk to him/her about quantity vs quality of life.
Don't worry, she seems to be in good hands, just make sure to take care of yourself, too. This is a tough situation, good luck. Lots of love!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

(((((acr & Ophelia)))))

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:34 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

thanks, peeps. <3 i was able to visit her yesterday and today, and her doctor offered to sneak me in to spend some time with her during rounds/treatments early tomorrow morning, so i don't have to fight a weekend crowd for a visit room. last night she was so out of it that i thought they had sedated her, but today she was more alert and even wanted to try to walk around a little (she couldn't do much without me supporting her, but it was good to see her want to try). her terrifying creatinine level has dropped about two points since wednesday night (it's still very bad, but at least it moved in the right direction), and it looks like there's still an active infection that could be contributing to her problems, but there's still no way to know how much she'll improve or how well she could be maintained outside of the hospital. they want to keep her on fluids for at least one more day to see whether her labs keep changing. i miss her so much! i haven't spent this much time away from her in about seven years. she's a very old kitty, and i thought i'd been making a good effort to accept the inevitability of her decline, but i am so much farther from ready than i'd thought i'd be. i do trust her current doctor to be clear about it if continuing treatment isn't in anyone's best interest, and that's such a relief, because i do not feel smart or strong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

aww man, i'm so sorry you're dealing with this right now. keeping you and ophelia in my thoughts. i'm glad you have a good vet. take care of yourself, too!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh acr, poor you. I wish you both the very best. Feel better Ophelia, I'm rooting for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:53 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ginny had spasms or a wee seizure or something tonight, so I took her to the emergency vet. By the time we got there she was totally fine... and the vet couldn't really say anything as far as diagnosis. He did say she should get full blood work and see her regular vet asap, but as far as he was concerned she was fine to go home if I just watch her.

Thing is. She spasmed like this a week and a half ago. But it was really hot out and we were on a walk - I thought she was overheating... or something. I mean it only lasted like five minutes and then I got her in a cool room and wet her fur and so I thought that just made sense. But there's no way she was over heating tonight - our basement is quite cool and we were just chillin. But the behavior was exactly the same.

Oh my poor heart. She's 11, and while a healthy Pekingese has a pretty long life expectancy, they are also a breed notorious for lots of health problems. I really need her to be the epitome of health and happiness... She never really has been though. There's always something. Like her eyes, or back... I can handle those though. Those are so much more obvious and superficial.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:53 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thinking good thoughts for Ophelia and Ginny!

My older guy is 12 now, and I've noticed his back getting a little bony. He hasn't lost weight and he still plays and acts like a youngster. It just makes me sad to know he won't be around forever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:41 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

She peed while just sitting in my lap tonight... she had no idea she was doing it. :((((((((((((((((((( She's never done that before.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

<3 to Ginny!

Lenny is obviously in a bit of old age pain these days. I just hope she has enjoyed her time with us. We only rescued her just over a year ago and I don't think she is going to live a long time (we don't know how old she is), and after living in a four story house after a tiny apartment and surviving a plane trip across the country, I think she is happy running up and down the stairs, but she often winces and wails when she gets too excited. I just hope the freedom to run around outweighs her old-age aches and pains. She is SUCH an annoying cat but I love her anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next