| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:43 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I had a really depressing realization.

Dog – 11 years old (still acts like a puppy)
Horse - 19 years old (I had one horse die at 23-24).
Cat 1 - 18 years old
Cat 2 - 8 years old
Chinchilla - 15 years old

I am now deeply afraid that I'm going to lose all of my animals in a very short time frame. :/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Aww, my dog is 11. She's a rottie-aussie mix and she's my first dog ever. I've had here since she was one. My bf's dog (I lived with her since the time I got mine, so mine too) died of cancer a few years ago and our young dog we got together died at age three died of a weird disease, so I've gone through animal death before, but not from old age yet. I think it will be different. Not as shocking as the others, particularly the three year old, who went from healthy to dead in three days, but I'm sure heartbreaking. She is still pretty spry, but is getting a little lumpy and she's definitely not as quick. It will be sad to see her age, but I'm glad to have spent so much time with her and I'm glad she is still healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:29 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

My dog is roughly 11 years old; I've only had her for three years. In the last year her muzzle has gone from almost entirely black (she's a pug mix) to almost entirely white! Overall her health has improved since she became part of the family, so I don't have any worries as far as that goes yet... but I do lie awake at night sometimes thinking that her life is more than half over and my time with her will be so short, and I will fully let myself start crying about it when she's lying right next to me, perfectly fine!

So yeah, I need to calm down, a little.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:58 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Don't know if this is of any use but my mum's dog is now 17 and she started 'leaking' a few years ago & also became more senile in the last year. The leaking has been pretty much completely cured by occasional hormonal tablets - taken more or less often depending on how she was doing, & her nighttime confusion was really, really helped - not completely cured but it made a big difference - by some other tablets she was given at the vet. I don't know what they were called though I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
My dog is roughly 11 years old; I've only had her for three years. In the last year her muzzle has gone from almost entirely black (she's a pug mix) to almost entirely white! Overall her health has improved since she became part of the family, so I don't have any worries as far as that goes yet... but I do lie awake at night sometimes thinking that her life is more than half over and my time with her will be so short, and I will fully let myself start crying about it when she's lying right next to me, perfectly fine!

So yeah, I need to calm down, a little.

this is me, including the crying. Xena is on meds/fancy food and acting like a puppy again. I may have started this thread prematurely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:16 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My 13 year old dog tore his ACL tendon a couple of years ago. We got him the surgery and he's since recovered, but lately his mobility has been declining rapidly. The arthritis plus his fake tendon clearly puts him in pain, especially when he's just woken up. He stays cheerful and his appetite is good, but we can't take him for long walks or hikes anymore, and have to be a lot more gentle in playing than we used to. I'm simultaneously wishing his suffering could be eased and getting extremely sad that I can't see his furry face every day for all and eternity. He's my first and only dog.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:02 pm 
Chip Strong

My dog is about 14 or 15 and also tore her ACL, but she tore it when she was about 6 or 7. We decided that the costs of surgery (two weeks of bed rest and such) weren't worth the benefits since the vet told that she'd probably tear the other leg and would probably develop arthritis anyway. So instead, she's been taking glucosamine ever since. It seems to have healed fairly well. She tends to shake a lot, mostly in her leg and sometimes in her whole body, but she doesn't seem to be bothered by it or in pain. She does have trouble getting up the stairs sometimes, and she doesn't really run anymore, but these seem to be pretty normal things for an old dog, and all in all, she's doing pretty well for her age.

I'd recommend glucosamine for your dog, though maybe the reason it worked for well for our dog is that she was relatively young when she tore her ACL. She's also my first and only dog, so I totally feel you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The last dog of my childhood is 13 and has hormonal issues and sometimes can't walk. I'm worried that I'll go to grad school far away and won't be able to say goodbye.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I cleaned my guinea pigs' enclosure earlier and was just struck yet again by how old Pingpong (the 8ish? year old piggy, my first guy) seems now. He's so docile and slow compared to how he used to be. I picked him up and gave him a bath (his self-care is not great these days) and cuddled him and fed him orange slices and sobbed for a long time. He kept looking up at me with that signature "what the hell is wrong with you lady?" face while trying to eat my pants. That didn't make me less sad.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Cared for a mother mouse and her 5 daughters. All but two of the daughters have passed and the two still living are nearly 3 years old! They're definitely in mousie retirement as they don't like to run on the wheel anymore but they still enjoy food, treats, pets, snuggles and grooming each other. Each loss made me sad and I know I'll go through the same with them someday. I miss all of my girls that have passed. I'm also caring for 2 boys as well as 2 male rats but they're still young and energetic.

A few years ago, my dog was euthanized (father's choice) after 18 wonderful years of companionship. Letting go of my best friend was one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sable is definitely not as active as she used to be now, and is losing muscle tone. She's having trouble with the stairs. I'm looking at places that do physical therapy for older dogs, but of course cost is an issue, as well as transportation. And having to think about all this forces me to think about how quickly she is aging now, which makes me really depressed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Jamesy (in avatar) turns 12 next month but has slowed down considerably. He has arthritic back legs and although still crazy about going for walks, his gait is somewhat like Rumor Willis in the back brace in "The House Bunny"! It makes me sad. He gets the best of everything (food, supplements, all my furniture,...) but he doesn't magically become young again. He's my best friend in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:51 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Well, the old gangsta kitty finally did go. Even though I miss him like crazy, I wouldn't bring him back to be the way he was over the past year. He was very happy but so frail he was prone to falling off furniture and hurting his back and since the summer he had too much muscle wasting to gallivant round the house. Thinking about their end can be stressful but, when they linger, there is a certain amount of relief for them.

(putting link in to avoid threadjack)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17247&p=460831#p460831

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

It is terribly hard to say good-bye. We just lost our 15 year old boy on Wednesday. We've known for a while that we were getting close to the end of his good days. He was completely deaf, partially blind, had a grade five heart murmur, and was in the mid-late stages of degenerative myelopathy. Just before Christmas we met with our vet who has taken care of him his whole life. She supports my POV that I'd rather send him on with a little kick in his step than wait for him to get so old that he hurts himself or has to suffer. So, we spent the last few weeks of his life just hanging out and enjoying each other. We spent his final afternoon at our favorite park. He had one more chance to try to eat goose poop, bark at the ducks, and lay around in the sunshine. Afterwards we went to our vet and I fed him grapes (his favorite food on earth that I didn't know could potentially kill him until he we about 7) until he fell asleep in my lap from the little nip of valium our doc gave him to minimize any discomfort or anxiety. The final shot took effect in less than an minute and then he was gone. I will miss him forever. He was a wonderful friend. But, I do feel good about the fact that we were able to repay some of the joy he always gave us by making sure he lived out his final days without fear or pain and that he died easily and with dignity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That made me cry, bodhidog1. I am sorry for the loss of your friend but I'm glad you had each other.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So I know this is the sad thread, but here's something positive! Fatty started sniffling and sneezing like crazy the other day, so I made her an appointment to make sure she didn't have a nasty respiratory infection. She's 16, so I was nervous that I was going to hear that she's about to die or start shitting herself or something. She has a heart murmur (then again, so does Chester and Gozer) and she's starting to develop cataracts, but her teeth are pretty good and her weight is fine and she doesn't have an infection.

But the doctor was kind of a dick and didn't listen, she asked if Fatty was an outdoor cat and when I said she used to be, but hasn't been for ten years she was like 'YOUR CAT MIGHT HAVE FIV OR FELINE LEUKEMIA TESTS TESTS TESTS'. Lady, did you not just hear me? She was basing this totally on the fact that she had once upon a time been outdoors, not from any symptoms or anything. This is also the first time this old bisque has ever been sick.

So yeah, my cat is old but she's probably going to live a few more years. She's running on pure spite, I know it.

Also to commiserate about all old pets: she's 16, Genghis and Gozer are 9, Chester is 11...and Fawkes is 3 so he (hopefully) has a lot of time left with us. I also sometimes end up crying in bed thinking about how the perfectly happy, healthy creature laying next to me is going to die.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:02 am 
WELFARIST!

Awww...that was lovely, bodhidog1. So sorry for your loss. <3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:15 pm 

Chester fell down the stairs and dislocated his hip. After I finished crying and freaking out and we got him full of doggie morphine, I told him I was going to get him some prune juice and bifocals since that is such an old man injury.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Poor Chester! I hope he's okay. (Maybe you can set up the VCR with a "Murder She Wrote" marathon for him. Oldies love that show.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Poor Chester, that's awful! I'm sorry MBM, hugs for you and the wee ole man <3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 am 

PlushLifeGirl wrote:
Poor Chester! I hope he's okay. (Maybe you can set up the VCR with a "Murder She Wrote" marathon for him. Oldies love that show.)

Hahahahaha!

He is at his regular vets right now, waiting to get it popped back into place. Then he'll be put in a sling that will hold his foot up so he'll be a three-legged dog for about two weeks. Which means i'm probably going to have to keep carrying him in and outside (we have steps) to go to the bathroom, but at least he won't be in a shitload of pain while I do it. Carrying a 27 pound dog like a football? Doable. Carrying a 27 pound dog like a football and you still hurt him no matter how gentle you try to be? Awful. Gut wrenching.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Chester fell down the stairs and dislocated his hip. After I finished crying and freaking out and we got him full of doggie morphine, I told him I was going to get him some prune juice and bifocals since that is such an old man injury.

Oh my god, that must have been terrifying for both Chester and you. I hope the healing process goes quickly!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

How is Chester today?

I just have to share/whine that my James is moving like SUCH an old man these days. I swear the neighbors must think I'm that evil dog walker girl, dragging around that poor old dog, but he LOVES going out. He whines and acts crazy in the house (his way of saying he wants to walk) but then we get outside and he moves like Fred Sanford. I started crying on our walk today because he just stopped in the middle of the road to rest and I just felt awful, seeing him get old.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:56 pm 

He's okay! His hip is back in its socket, and they basically bandaged his foot to his wiener so it can heal. Unfortunately, my father-in-law didn't understand my simple directions of, "Chester cannot be left alone in the living room, he might try to jump on the couch. You can carry him upstairs with you if you feel comfortable doing so (I know I don't), crate him, or put him in the kitchen with the doggie gate." I came home to get my phone charger to find Chester in the living room unsupervised, so I had to go drop $100 on a doggie pen for him to hang out in while i'm at work. And then I had to explain to my boss why I can't work more than four hours unless I can go home so I can carry doofus outside.

I'm going to make a video of his bandage and him walking. Last night was rough because he really wanted to go upstairs and sleep (me too, dude) so he grumped all night long and I woke up every single time he moved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My kitteh Patch is 14 and she seems perfectly healthy, but you never know. Her sister Luna randomly got really sick (disoriented, couldn't see, lost weight, listless, couldn't really eat or go to the bathroom by herself, and hair loss) and died when she was 10 or so. The vets couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and so I'm terrified someday that same thing will happen to Patch. Shes my special kitty :( we've been together since I was 8. And it doesn't help that my little brothers kitty Mr. Bigglesworth passed on Jan. 1st, when he was only 8. He had urine crystals and had to have an emergency penectomy and never recovered.
It's so hard to see them go.
Reading all your posts about your pets has got me all depressed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next