| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So, I thought my dog was slowing down a lot because she was getting older. And she has slowed down a bit due to age. But she suddenly started limping really badly on her right front leg one day. It was better the next day, but then her back legs were weak. And then her back legs were fine but she couldn't bear weight on her left front leg. This was over the course of a few days, and she also was acting very tired and depressed. After the limping had switched from leg to leg, I thought "tick-borne disease". Shifting lameness and fever are classic signs. So we went to the vet, and yup, she was positive for anaplasmosis (she tested positive for it last year and was treated, but it either flared up again or she got a new infection). She was put on doxycylcline, and within 2 days, the lameness was completely gone, and she was running around like she used to! So I guess the lesson is not to attribute stuff to "old age" without checking. I started noticing Sable not wanting to exercise as much way back in the summer, and I wish I had known what it was then! Poor puffle must have been suffering from it this whole time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
So I guess the lesson is not to attribute stuff to "old age" without checking.

These are seriously words to live by.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:29 pm 
<3

Something similar happened to one of my old kitties about a year before she died quickly from Lymphoma. She seemed to be laying around a lot. I thought 'well she's 17 and I guess old age is catching up with her' Took her to the vet and she had an infected cyst that I didn't notice. She fully recovered and at least I had that year with her.

So yes, I think it's a good idea to not contribute old pet lethargy with just old age. Have a vet check up if at all possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The older Fatty gets, the nicer she gets. It freaks me out, she actually took a nap with me on my chest last week. Is she trying to make me love her more as her final act of spite? Probably. She'll be 17 in June, she had to go to the vet two months ago and the vet said that she's in good shape for her age but she carries all of her weight in her belly for some reason, it looks like she swallowed a small football (but the doctor felt nothing strange so it's not like, a tumor).

I need to do a full write-up on the Chester saga, he ended up having surgery because his hip dislocated about a week after the bandage was removed. Every time I think of it I start laughing though, not because it's funny but because having his leg bandaged up was a waste of time, misery, and money.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Poor Chester! I hope he's recovering well from surgery!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 pm 

The recovery from surgery is actually going to be quicker than the recovery from having his hip popped back in, that's part of the madness! He had to have his foot bandaged up for three weeks, after 3-5 days we are supposed to start playing with his foot and working his joints, and he should be walking on it by then.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:27 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My almost 12 year old dog had her eye removed the other day. They think she had a melanoma in it, but it is currently being tested. Either way, it had to go, they said. Three days later, she is acting like nothing even happened! She is being a good patient and keeping her cone on, but she refuses to be separated from our other two young, crazy dogs. She managed to muscle out of the door we shut her behind and jumped over the gate we put up after that. Luckily the other dogs are not bothering her and she isn't acting wild. She just doesn't want to be alone. She was already blind in the eye, so she doesn't have to get used to not seeing.

This is the first dog I have had make it into old age and I've had her since she was one. I didn't have dogs as a child and my boyfriend and I had two other dogs that died prematurely from cancer and a fungal disease. So I'm not exactly sure what to expect and she is hardly acting any differently than her younger self, but this eye thing has definitely gotten me thinking about her mortality and the other health problems I am sure she will have in the future. It was so incredibly sad and traumatic to lose the other two suddenly and that definitely made me appreciate that she will at least have lived a long, happy life. So I'm grateful for that preparation and I'm ready to help her age gracefully. <3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My feline companions-a brother and sister- are 15, and per a blood panel this last summer, I found out that Henry is in slow renal failure. He looks better since we've changed his food, and seems to be staying hydrated, which I think is about as good
as I can hope for. He's had more health problems over the years than his sis, but neither are exactly spring chickens.
I can't imagine them no longer being with me.

They never stay with us long enough, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:35 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

So just yesterday I was thinking "gosh, Molly has slowed down quite a bit, I guess she's just old." and then I read this thread and got worried! Today she's been panting a lot too, so she's got a vet appointment tomorrow. I hope everything is ok!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:44 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Molly has a slipped disc in her lower back. Or so the vet suspects. Poor old lady!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:19 pm 

Welcome to the club, Molly!

Chester is not enjoying the part where he has to have a heating pad on him (it's only five minutes twice a day, you little bisque), or the part where I wiggle his foot around. So basically I have to dope him and wait for him to fall asleep and then maybe I can get it done.

He is the skinniest he's ever been, every time he's had to go to the vet to get a shot or a bandage or you know, his leg cut open, he comes back and doesn't want to eat for a day or two. When we adopted him 7 years ago he was 25 pounds. It took me two years to get him from 30 pounds down to a respectable 26.5, we got Fawkes and he ate all of Fawkes food and gained a pound. So in the last month he's lost five god damned pounds.

So there you go, there's Chester's diet secret. As long as I keep him away from green smoothies I think he can keep it off.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:03 am 
Lime and a Coconut

5 lbs. is exactly what the vet said Molly needs to lose! She has been looking quite the chubbz lately, I have to say. But I'm also transitioning her to a new diet because of food allergies, so it's a little harder to moderate her weight while she's in this adjustment period.

Molly gets a new kitty roommate in her other home in a few weeks... hopefully she won't start snarfing kitty food (ETA: or dear god poops) on the sly!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 am 

Chester isn't exactly underweight now, but he is definitely at the minimum of what I want him to weigh. No ribs showing, but his stomach around his penis is clearly saggy from deflation (dick sag, glad i'm not a dude). It took over a year of thyroid meds and reducing his food for it to budge on its own. He eats sweet potato with his dinner every night for a multitude of reasons.

I put more time in effort into what goes into Chester's mouth than I do my own.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:18 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Woo, that doggy ibuprofin sure did the trick! When we woke up this morning Molly was bright-eyed and playful. She hasn't been her silly morning self in a few weeks now, so that was really good to see.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:39 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

(I know I don't post much, but I needed to share...)

I had my cat Valentino euthanized today. He was 19 and seemed very healthy up to six months ago. I took him to the vet today and he had lost 4 pounds since August and was super dehydrated and wasn't acting like himself. After an ultrasound, the vet told me that he had a bad liver and it was most likely either hepatic lipidosis or liver cancer. Lipidosis isn't entirely fatal, but it would have involved a feeding tube plus a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and I was scared to have him undergo anesthesia at his age. Now I feel like a bad cat mommy because maybe I should have tried the feeding tube. I also am finding it difficult to grieve right now, maybe because I'm angry at myself...

Here's a picture of him from when he was healthy:
big kitty

And another one with my other kitty, Tasha (who has chronic renal failure...why do they have to get sick? It forking sucks.):
kitties

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I'm so sorry about Valentino. He was gorgeous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:02 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Catch, I'm so sorry about Valentino. Please don't be upset with yourself- although it's tempting to think there was more you could have done, 19 years is a really long, rich life for a cat to have! It sounds like he was well-loved and will be fondly remembered. I don't think there's anything more a kitty could want out of this life, and you did great as a cat mom to give him that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 pm 

Catch, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know sometimes we feel guilty about what we think we could have done, but just remember how much testing is done to even confirm things like this. There's no way you could have known, and Valentino lived a long life with his incredibly cat mommy.

So sorry you lost your friend. <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 pm 
<3

Catch, no no no. You did nothing wrong. I work in the medical field and I probably would not have done the feeding tube either. I have seen so many people almost tortured to death by loved ones who wanted to keep them going at anything to them and at any cost.

You did the right and loving thing. Remember that no matter how much you love them they do not understand what is being done to them. They don't have a complex thought process to understand procedures. If that procedure will get them back home and healthy again than it's worth it. But if not or there is just a chance, in my opinion no. We've never done chemo or anything like that for a pet and I never would.

I allowed my last two old girls to die with me at home. It was so hard to watch even though I understand the dying process and humans and animals, there is a process to this, and we all die the same. But it's a comfort to know they lived their whole natural life and died naturally in their familiar surroundings. How many animals get do that.

You have no reason to be angry at yourself. I wasn't angry when my cats died. I was comforted by the fact of how they died. I sure did cry though. It's normal. They are gone but you will never forget. And when you can, if you want, get another cat. I waited over 7 months and then 2 kittens invaded me. I had forgotten what kittens were like!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks everyone. I think I'm just a bit shell-shocked still, but logically I know it wouldn't have been fair to him to put him through more tests (he already had had bloodwork and an ultrasound, poor boy died with a nekkid belly). It's hard because I doubt I'll ever have another cat as trusting as he was. I mean how many cats will let you put them on their back and pet and kiss their belly? (He had a big Buddha belly, I couldn't help myself) He was the most agreeable cat I've ever known.

I'm just going to put all my focus on Tasha now and make sure she is as comfortable and loved as possible.

Thanks for the sentiments, they truly mean a lot to me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:29 pm 

Chester is so sensitive since his surgery, he doesn't like being touched below the neck at all. He yelps at anything and even though I know i'm not hurting him, it's still stressful.

I think Fatfat is on her way out the door. I took her to the vet about five months ago and the doctor said she was in good shape for her age so I don't think she has cancer or anything, but she's lost a little weight and she's really slowing down. I made the bed over her today and instead of moving two inches to stick her head out of the blanket, she just squeaked and stayed under until I uncovered her.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:07 am 

Oh, MBM. I'm sorry to hear about Fatfat. I hope everything is okay with her. I'd definitely get her checked out with the sudden weight loss. So scary.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 pm 

Reviving this thread! Check this shiitake out. Chester sprained or strained his good leg. Which basically means he can't forking walk because his leg on his bionic hip side has always been weak. I don't even know how he did it, I was getting ready for work and I don't know if he was about to jump on the bed but he freaked out and I was like 'OMG WHAT WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME WHAT' because I thought somehow he had managed to fork up his hip again (which is actually impossible thanks to surgery), until I realized he was dragging his other leg. Chester reacts very strongly to even perceived pain coming his way, so sometimes it's hard to tell if he's actually hurt or not. But we got him to put weight on it and he'll let us touch it.

So I gave him some leftover Tramadol and will be transporting him to and from the yard like a football for the next few days. I'm not going to let him do steps for awhile but if he isn't able to take two steps without looking like a drunk by tomorrow evening, to the vet he goes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mrsbadmouth wrote:
So I gave him some leftover Tramadol and will be transporting him to and from the yard like a football for the next few days. I'm not going to let him do steps for awhile but if he isn't able to take two steps without looking like a drunk by tomorrow evening, to the vet he goes.

Depending on his breed/age/weight you might be more comfortable rolling up a blanket/towel/etc and using it to sling his rear while you hold the ends and he still walks on his front legs. If he is wee, or light enough to easily carry then ignore this message and return to ppk's regular programming.

I hope he feels better soon!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think I've been too in denial to post anything every time this thread pops up. My dog, Scruffy, will be 17 in May. He's my first and only dog, though he lives with my parents now because he was too stressed every time we tried to bring him to my house. He's had some scares in the last few months and he's completely incontinent as well as deaf and blind (though he's only had one eye most of his life anyway). My boyfriend and I are moving away in a month and I'm worried I'll never see Scruff again. Though when we had him at the emergency vet they did an x-ray and were astounded at how good his innards looked. I feel like either the end is near or he'll keep on trucking for another few years.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next