| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Ants out of the home
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:41 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have ants in my apartment. I don't want them in my apartment. I've tried chalk and lemon juice and they're not working. Any other humane ideas? I'm getting desperate.

Post subject: Re: Getting Ants out of the home
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:37 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'm not sure about how to get out ones you already have, but I have heard from some friends who have problems with all kinds of pests that peppermint spray (spray bottle of water with peppermint essential oil in) deters just about anything. Plus it smells nice, so could be worth a try?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

our first house here, one morning we woke up to a swarm of ants on the bathroom wall, and we figured we had a problem.

the big thing seems to be finding the holes they are coming through and plugging them- with caulk, with toothpaste, with vaseline (i used vaseline). Then I did use peppermint oil spray. In this house we recently had a line of ants coming through the bathroom window and i sprinkled borax on the windowsill and they stopped immediately - i had thought borax was a poison (since they say to be careful with pets and children) but it deterred them.

UNLESS it is those tiny sugar ants - i think in the US they call them phoenix ants or pharaoh ants or something? almost invisible? there is nothing you can do about them. my sister in law had them and she tried EVERYTHING. she finally gave up and kept everything including the salt shaker and sugar bowl in the fridge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:42 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

They follow each other by leaving scent trails, so you should make a line of something they don't like (I used a mixture of cayenne powder and peppermint across my threshold). Get a spray bottle with water and vinegar and spray that around where they're coming in, then any trails will be obliterated and they won't try to follow their friends. . Catch the ones that are already inside on a spoon or something and put them outside. Finally, and fairly obviously, make sure there's nothing like a load of spilt sugar inside your house to attract them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 am 
Inflexitarian

In addition to plugging holes where they come in, if you can find them, wipe the areas you've been seeing them walk (especially if they're marching in a line) with vinegar. Plain white is fine. It destroys or de-smells the chemical trails they leave for each other.

In our old apartment they'd come in through the kitchen window in the spring (on the 3rd floor. what the fizzle.) and I'd wipe the sills, down the wall, the floor especially along edges of the room, etc, and even the OUTSIDE of the window frame.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

gaaaah. Ants are my biggest horror of pests in the house. I mostly live in pretty cheap places (single paned windows, lots of daylight basements) and with a dude who is not the cleanest person.

I cannot express how much I really, really, REALLY hate ants. I've been able to get rid of them everywhere but our current apartment through meticulous cleaning, vinegar, peppermint, and (a nonhumane method: soap and sugar in a cup attracts them). Never tried cayenne because my cat would just eat it.

I don't have any helpful tips, because the only method that successfully worked to totally eradicate them was the nonhumane one. But I do commiserate and hope some of the ideas in here for humane control may help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:04 am 

I've plugged up every hole I could find. I think they're coming in through the back door. I live in Manhattan which means ridiculous layouts. My back door leads into the bathroom. They only seem interested in the bathtub so it's not food they're after. I'll try vinegar but there is no way for me to seal off my back door. I have to admit some have drowned in the day to day but they're in the shower!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Ants are an invasive insect and obviously a pest. I have no qualms about inhumane methods of getting rid of them. Sometimes they come into our kitchen. We plug holes, we clean up anything that may be attracting them and then we use a pet friendly spray near all the possible entrances (around the windowsill on the outside and around the door on the outside). We usually have to do this once per year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:37 am 
Seagull of the PPK

if you are in NY you should be able to get "moleskin" adhesive stripping that goes under/around the door to fill up any empty space or cracks, and can help you keep your heat inside too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:23 pm 

Good idea! Thanks