| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barfy Kitties
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Peckinpaw has been barfing. He's done it before, and when we took him to the vet, they didn't see anything wrong and thought that most likely, he was bolting his food, barfing because he ate too fast, bolting more food because he barfed, barfing because he ate too fast, etc. He is kind of a picky eater and only really likes one type of kind of crappy grocery store kibble. The last day or so, I've been feeding him wet food only to see if that helps, and it seems to, so it seems to be the food itself that is at least partially responsible.

I plan to go to the fancy natural pet food store later today to see if they can recommend anything for him, but I thought I'd ask here too. Has anyone else had cat issues like this? Any foods/feeding techniques that worked for you?

Post subject: Re: Barfy Kitties
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:54 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not sure you really want to hear my technique but basically, I feed my cat 4 kibbles at a time, food is elevated to head level rather than on the floor and I raise her food/get her attention over her head every few kibbles. She ends up burping. Now we started picking her up after she finishes eating and hold her, patting her stomach until she burps again and then put her down. Wet food does seem to be better but again, we feed the food so it is elevated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

One of my cats barfed for years, generally about 4-5 hours after each meal, and the vet had no answers. The natural pet food store owner I finally mentioned it to said Raymond probably had a grain allergy; problem solved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:16 pm 
WRETCHED

I've tried no grain foods with my kitty and it didn't fix it. She just eats too fast so we have to slow her down. She does have a beef allergy though, we figured that out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Is your kitty losing weight because of the puking? If so, it would be best to get on top of it. Our oldster kitty (17!) has some health issues (thyroid and renal insufficiency) and started to be a little pukey, but I didn't really track how much and how often she had been puking, which turned out to be a lot. She started losing weight, but I blamed the medical conditions and not the puking. I assumed she was just really sensitive to the type and quantity of food and how long it had been since her last meal.

My vet prescribed a medication called Cerenia which quells nausea in the brain by affecting serotonin levels. This medication has been a miracle. She no longer pukes and she put on nearly nine ounces in three months (which is really good for an old kitty with kidney disease). Cerenia used to be prescribed only for short term use, but my vet says she now uses it on long-term basis, especially with older cats like her.

Honeybelle eats mostly a no-grain kibble and Fancy Feast wet food. Because of her kidney disease, I give her subcutaneous fluids every other day. So far so good!

Good luck! I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That can also be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) which if left untreated is suspected of turning into intestinal lymphoma. My 11.5 year old kitty has IBD and hyperthyroidism which presented as vomiting almost every day and now takes steroids to keep the IBD under control and Felimazole to keep the thyroid levels down. Thyroid issues alone can also cause vomiting. Has your vet run a blood panel to rule out anything like thyroid issues?

If it truly is just eating speed you can put the kibble in a bowl and then put a tennis ball in there. Really makes the cat work to get the kibble. They also sell plastic balls you put kibble into and then when the cat bats the ball around the kibble falls out of the holes in the ball.

Last edited by rohai on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:10 pm 

And to add - Cerenia can have neurologic side effects in some kitties - hallucinations accompanied by vocalizations. Of my three cats that have received this medication, one hallucinated and didn't take to the medication at all. The other two have done fine on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:15 pm 

rohai wrote:
That can also be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) which if left untreated is suspected of turning into intestinal lymphoma. My 11.5 year old kitty has IBD and hyperthyroidism which presented as vomiting almost every day and now takes steroids to keep it under control. Thyroid issues can also cause vomiting. Has your vet run a blood panel to rule out anything like thyroid issues?

Aw. I'm sad to read that about your kitty, rohai. I've gone through IBD / cancer with a kitty, too, and it's a rough road. We had some respite with a diet change, but eventually the IBD returned with a vengeance and I can't remember exactly, but I think an ultrasound pointed to lymphoma.

And ditto on the thyroid symptoms and vomiting.

So. Many. Things. can cause vomiting in cats!! Aaaauuugggghhhh!

Last edited by quagga on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

quagga wrote:
rohai wrote:
That can also be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) which if left untreated is suspected of turning into intestinal lymphoma. My 11.5 year old kitty has IBD and hyperthyroidism which presented as vomiting almost every day and now takes steroids to keep it under control. Thyroid issues can also cause vomiting. Has your vet run a blood panel to rule out anything like thyroid issues?

Aw. I'm sad to read that about your kitty, rohai. I've gone through IBD / cancer with a kitty, two, and it's a rough road. We had some respite with a diet change, but eventually the IBD returned with a vengeance and I can't remember exactly, but I think an ultrasound pointed to lymphoma.

And ditto on the thyroid symptoms and vomiting.

So. Many. Things. can cause vomiting in cats!! Aaaauuugggghhhh!

Thanks quagga! After trying all kinds of non-invasive treatments that only helped temporarily we did end up putting her through an exploratory surgery with all kinds of biopsies. Luckily nothing they sampled showed cancerous so I keep my fingers crossed we caught it in time.

My advice to you jordanpattern, is to be a bit aggressive for a diagnosis if you can't resolve it with slower feeding and/or a novel single protein only diet. Good luck to you and your kitty!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:43 am 
WRETCHED

ahh I've never put a ball in but I've seen that. My vet has looked at my kitty and found no issues before. We also have a baby scale that we use to weigh the cats regularly. Sadly, my kitty has been like this for 6 years or so.

I should also say when we had only 1 kitty, we used an automatic feeder and she didn't seem to have a problem at the time with using that but with 2 kitties, we could no longer use the automatic feeder.

She is also very particular about food, it was hard to find a food she liked and sometimes she gets tired of a certain food and the search is on again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just adopted my sister's cat after a long term babysitting spell, and she has had some struggles with throwing up. When she first arrived she had some bathroom trouble, and her diet was all kibble, so I worried that she wasn't getting enough water, and started giving her wet food along with her kibble, in the morning and at night. She was a little underweight so I wasn't worried about her gaining weight from the extra food and she loved the wet food, but sometimes she would eat it too fast and get sick. I believe she has a fish allergy, since anytime I fed her wet food with fish ingredients it wouldn't stay down. I assumed she was just eating too fast though.

After feeding my neighbor's cat raw cat food I thought I'd make the switch too, and I slowly transitioned away from the kibble and wet food into just raw Stella & Chewy freeze dried puffs. She did really well and didn't get sick for a solid week, until one night when I gave her a fish based Stella and Chewy's which made her sick and she kept sneezing and coughing which really scared me. Which is why I think she has a fish allergy.

And then the chicken one that didn't bother her before caused her to throw up, and I tried another flavor, which she just did not want to eat. Whew!

I'm back to EVO kibble, and the spoonful of wet food twice a day and she seems happy. It causes me a lot of anxiety, trying to figure out the best diet for her. It's so sad when they get sick. Sheesh. And all the factors! Too much food, eating it too fast, the wrong kind, who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:45 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I meant to say thank you for all the responses earlier, so... thanks!

Now, the update:

The vet wasn't that concerned with the barfing, since Peckinpaw's weight was relatively stable, and he didn't have any other signs of illness. She said it appeared to be behavioral more than medical, as we suspected. She suggested we try him with some different foods and see if that helps. At the fancy pet food place, they suggested raw food, which he tried and rejected. We gave him a bunch of fancy wet foods, and he'd eat some, but not quite enough. After several weeks of monkeying around, we found a grain-free kibble that he likes and doesn't barf up. I think it's probably actually the size of the kibbles (they're tiny, and the previous food was in much larger pieces) more than any nutritional thing, but I'm happy to have found a kibble that I'm more happy with, quality-wise, than the crepe he was eating before and that he doesn't barf up. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:28 am 

Yay! Thanks for the update!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:28 am 
Ninja Master

We had similar issues with jazzy in that she'd bolt the food down (dry food) and then chuck it up. We've switched her to a better (wet) food and we only give her a small amount at a time, unless there's going to be no one in the house for a while. Seems to have stopped it for the most part. Aside from the occasional hairball.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:50 am 
WRETCHED

JP, we are always on the search for new kibble, do you have the name of the one you are using?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:31 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It's Wellness brand Adult Cat blend: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product- ... cat&pid=19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:52 am 
WRETCHED

I think we tried Wellness way back when (we've tried a lot).

We recently tried Blue Wilderness Chicken and Lola has been doing well on it (she is the barfy one)