| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why won't my cat shut up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:43 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

For those of you following along at home, NOT the sick one. If she was vocalizing loudly we would be at the emergency vet in a second.

Olive has been doing this thing where late at night she will start meowing SO LOUDLY and won't stop and it is making me crazy. I get annoyed and I feel even worse for my roommate because she wakes her up in the middle of the night and she has to get up for work super early.

Sometimes playing with her helps, sometimes distracting her with treats helps, but sometimes neither helps and I want to sleep because it is 3 am so I really do not want to be doing those things anyway.

She has dry food down all the time in addition to the wet food she gets twice a day, so she's not starving.

She is overall very healthy, I don't think she's doing it because she's in pain or anything. I think she might be bored? She has a cat puzzle, a treat ball and a billion toys but none of them occupy her for very long.

Is there anything to do?

Can you send cats to reform school?

Why is she the worst?

Is she going to wake up my roommate again right now? I think so.

Post subject: Re: why won't my cat shut up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:54 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

One of the cats where I live yowls a lot, and we've deduced that it's almost always about water/thirst. She doesn't like to drink out of the cat water dish, and since it's been really hot lately, her yowling is becoming worse. We've taken to indulging her, especially given the heat, and running the faucet a bit for her sometimes. We realize this might not be smart in the long run, but it's really quite hot.

Moral of that story is... it's really hot. Maybe she's yowling re: thirst (and being too particular for her water bowl)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:17 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Lenny is really annoying too. I don't even understand how a cat that small can meow at such an impressive volume! We ignore her when she gets on escapades of loud meowing and it seems to have solved the problem, but I totally understand the roommate dilemma. Jay is a much lighter sleeper than I and it drives him bonkers.

She never wants anything other than us to be awake, that little jerk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:07 am 
Married to the wolfman

She's mad at you about something. Did you Instagram an unflattering pic of her? If so it's probably that.

(Sorry, I have no idea and that does sound like the worst!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh, my cat does this. Sometimes she's thirsty and being a diva about her (clean! full!) water options. But usually she's just bored, I think. It seems like she just wants someone to be awake with her. If one of us gets up, she runs to where her food is and eats while we watch her. Purring.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:28 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My cat has been doing this for the past 13 years. I don't think most of what I have tried has helped: playing with her a lot in the day, ignoring it, adding water fountain. I did change her feeding times and that helped a bit for a while (a year or so?), but she eventually started the routine again. We don't leave food out and feed twice a day, so that's not helpful for you anyway. Probably playing a lot right before bed is a good idea to really wear her out with exercise and attention.

Honestly, with my cat I feel like it is just her personality. I read about how cats are most awake naturally at dawn and dusk and I think she follows that pattern due to her nature. My other cat is more on my schedule and I guess she is just more adaptable. Sometimes if the howling is really over the top I put her in the bathroom with food and water so I can sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I do think she just wants us to be awake, she only does it when both me and my roommate are in bed. I wish I could just get her a kitten. But then they would both get a little older and then the kitten would need a kitten too and then I would have infinite cats.

I wish my apartment were large enough where I could lock her away somewhere but there is no room where I wouldn't be able to hear her. I did try to lock her in my room with me for a while last night so she wouldn't bug my roommate and then she started body slamming the door and jumping at the door knob and freaking out. Eventually she got distracted by her treat ball and calmed down though. I might just need some more interactive toys?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:59 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My previous cat meowed ALL THE TIME, but it was because he was part-Siamese (his coloring wasn't Siamese at all, but you could tell from his head shape and stuff). Nothing really ever shut him up, but it got to the point where I didn't even hear it anymore. Sorry, this probably isn't very helpful.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:16 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Is she hunting? Are there maybe critters that come out at night to amuse and dismay her?

Also, with the "diva" cats re: H20 -- cats, I've read, do not like to have their water near their fresh kills (catfud) because they fear their water will be contaminated with [cereal] carcass.

I have good luck keeping a kitty water bowl in the bathroom, far away from the spoils of the hunt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:30 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

strawberryrock wrote:
I do think she just wants us to be awake, she only does it when both me and my roommate are in bed. I wish I could just get her a kitten. But then they would both get a little older and then the kitten would need a kitten too and then I would have infinite cats.

I wish my apartment were large enough where I could lock her away somewhere but there is no room where I wouldn't be able to hear her. I did try to lock her in my room with me for a while last night so she wouldn't bug my roommate and then she started body slamming the door and jumping at the door knob and freaking out. Eventually she got distracted by her treat ball and calmed down though. I might just need some more interactive toys?

Interactive toys sound like a great idea! And also, you could foster kitties!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Chewie was yowling so loud throughout the night, I thought I was going to get complaints from neighbors. Given that he's 25, the vet thought it may be feline cognitive dysfunction (kitty Alzheimer's). We put him on Prozac and it has really helped.