| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can I get Olive to let me sleep
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Olive is my 4 year old cat and she's kind of the worst. Lately she's been waking me up around 3 am most nights screaming her head off. She is very very loud and persistent. This has been going on off and on for years I guess. I've read various things on the internet about it and nothing has been that helpful.

She doesn't care if I give her food or not--she usually has dry food down at night anyway, and last night out of desperation I gave her wet food, which she did eat but then she went right back to meowing and meowing, so it's not hunger.

I do need to play with her more, specifically right before bed, and I think when I do play with her before bed it's a little less likely that she does this but she still does often enough.

I have tried a cat puzzle and treat balls and she doesn't really care. She used to like the cat puzzle kind of but now she's figured it out and she solves it and eats the treats immediately. Treat balls are somehow beyond her, she bats it around for a minute and gives up.

I can't get another cat to be her buddy right now, I'm staying in a temporary place and have no idea when I'll be in a more permanent place and how many pets it will allow, plus I feel so completely traumatized by having cats at this point.

She won't play with cat toys like balls and whatnot unless I throw them, she only likes pole toys.

The best solution I have at this point is to play with her long enough to wear her out at 3 am which is NOT IDEAL.

(And yes I know that I shouldn't be reinforcing the behavior but really what do you do after an hour of her howling? I turned my fan up but it still didn't drown it out.)

Has anyone tried electronic cat toys? She will absolutely eat and swallow anything that she has access to so it would have to be super safe.

Are there any other ways to occupy her?

Does anyone want a cat?

Post subject: Re: How can I get Olive to let me sleep
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ear plugs for you?

Roomba for her?

Post subject: Re: How can I get Olive to let me sleep
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hate earplugs and am also afraid that if there's an emergency I won't hear it. (My other cat woke me up with yelping when she had a blood clot.)

She probably would like a roomba.