| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Mother-in-law keeps screwing up cat genders
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:30 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tofulish wrote:
Next time just use Manic Panic or another veg-based dye to dye the males blue and the females pink.

Do you have any advice on dying black cats pink? Maybe cats are different but in our experience blue dye doesn't show up as blue on orange fur. Our dog was dyed for Halloween once when she was Blue from Blue's Clues. For weeks and weeks afterwords, everyone everywhere kept doing double takes when looking at her. It's a great way to get attention for your dog and boost their self esteem. But I think you may be on to something!

Here's a photo of it.

Also in that folder of photos was this image of The Hand of Seitan from the same Halloween party.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:46 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Tofu wrote:
At the very beginning of her trip, I had to explain to her why we don't refer to a cat or the dog as "it". I described how her granddaughter would not be referring to them as an "it". Breaking through the ingrained belief of the objectification of animals is difficult but we're using her grandchild to our advantage. Grandpa understood this but only time will tell if he chooses to remember it. On her last night we started calling her grandpa to her face and calling our girl a boy. It took her a minute to realize what we were doing. We kept doing it and it worked. Without any prompting she showed that she remembered our mnemonic memory device of "if the pet has any black fur anywhere, she's a girl" and had simply chosen not to apply it.

But the memory thing actually has me worried. In a store, you can tell my MIL you're headed to the bathroom and she'll say "Ok, let me hold that for you". 30 seconds later she thinks you left the building without her. I think she's becoming more "delusionized" as she grows older. Yup, she said that.

I have to reread this thread and see if I'm missing any "suplimentals" (I think she meant vitamins).

Demanding that people don't refer to animals as "it" when they have no concept or exposure to animal rights is just going to annoy the hell out of them. You think people who eat animals are going to go out of their way to change their vocabulary surrounding animals? I've been vegan for over 5 years and I still refer to animals as "it" sometimes. I cringe when I say it, but it happens.

And yeah, you should be more patient with your mother in law. It sounds like she is having serious issues with her cognition and memory. Your not doing yourself, your family, or veganism any favors by being so demanding, especially over frivolous things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:54 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

It's not frivolous. They're our family. My cats and dogs are spayed and neutered so I'm never going to have to call them grandpa!

I like to find the humor in any situation. Taking things too seriously, especially on the internet or with family, does no one any good. Larger issues like patience and acceptance are completely useless when addressing selfish whims on the internet. My wife says she doesn't know what this means. Should I push this issue with her?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I like to deal with stuff through humor, but I have to remember that not everyone does, and in fact they can find it offensive. I offend my husband a fair amount through really terrible jokes. It's just how I work through insecurities and fears though.

That being said, is English not her first language? It sounds a bit like that. Or like she's from the sticks. People in the areas surrounding my hometown say a lot of funny un-words.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You dyed your dog blue?!?

Also, what a bizzare, bizzare thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:16 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Bumping because...THIS!

http://binarythis.wordpress.com/2013/05 ... with-cats/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

6 cats seems like a lot of cats to remember the names of, let alone the male/femaleness of. I mess up the gender of dogs/cats/little kids all the time. There isn't an easy way to tell.

I used to give our dalmatian colored spots when I died my hair colors! She'd be black and purple spotted or black and red spotted. And our black and white tuxedo cat was sometimes a black and purple tuxedo cat. They didn't seem to mind.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I thought this thread was going to be about "cats are shes, dogs are hes". That's my MIL's constant battle. We have a male cat. She finally figured out 4 years later... now she babysits where they have female cats and she's all confused again.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Desdemona wrote:

<3

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:32 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

This thread was the best use of the last hour that I could imagine. Thank you all.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Seeing that this thread had been bumped is the best thing about my day. (So far. I'm meeting fisticuffs later, so clearly more awesomeness to come.)

Seriously. Best thread ever.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm not sure, Tofu, are you in Canada? If so, and if you are in the French-speaking area of Canada- or even if you're not, you could speak only of the cats in French, and require all others to do so, thereby clarifying their genders and/or sexes by referring to them as "le chat" or "la chatte", and your MIL wouldn't have to remember their names at all. Problem solved.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6