| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mother-in-law keeps screwing up cat genders
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Tofu wrote:
Jedxcore wrote:
Cats don't have genders, they are cats. They don't think of themselves as man-cats or she-cats.

Do they randomly try to sex the other sex that they don't think about as "the other sex" unless you remove their own sex?

I didn't say "gender" once!

Tofu wrote:
I see these 6 cats as deserving of having their genders correctly represented

(see title of thread)
I love how after all these posts, that is the one you decide to go off on.

Also I take back all my complaining about the mods adding a time restriction on when you can edit your posts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:21 am 
Ninja Master

solipsistnation wrote:

Amazing! Have you seen the bohemian rhapsody one as well?? Brilliant.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

baps wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

Amazing! Have you seen the bohemian rhapsody one as well?? Brilliant.

I hadn't seen that, but seeing this one did get me to go watch the original 4 Non Blondes video.

MY GOSH THE 90'S. A giant misshapen top-hat with goggles! White girl dreads! Docs and socks! A kicky skirt! Smirking and lipstick! Strumming in a fancy living room! Long greasy hair! Running around a playground and not getting kicked out for being an adult in a playground! Skateboarding! White girl cornrows! A drummer who looks mildly irritated at having to be there! ANOTHER ridiculous hat with goggles on the brim! Plus the brim is too wide and if she ever has to fly that plane she'll never get the goggles down over the hat in time and she will CRASH. Stripey socks! Dorky facial expressions while singing mildly inane lyrics! Plus they all got mud on their boots, and Doc Martens are a pain to clean! Hope you brought your boot polish, Non-Blondes! And now you can see her underwear under that skirt and it's boxers! Slides!

This was my experience of the early 90's in a nutshell.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NXnxTNIWkc[/youtube]

Also I suppose cats have genders or something but it's hard to care. I'll pet anything. Flexible, yep, that's me. I like to pet cats, regardless of gender. There, I'm out of the closet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:56 am 
Chip Strong

solipsistnation wrote:

MY GOSH THE 90'S. A giant misshapen top-hat with goggles! White girl dreads! Docs and socks! A kicky skirt! Smirking and lipstick! Strumming in a fancy living room! Long greasy hair! Running around a playground and not getting kicked out for being an adult in a playground! Skateboarding! White girl cornrows! A drummer who looks mildly irritated at having to be there! ANOTHER ridiculous hat with goggles on the brim! Plus the brim is too wide and if she ever has to fly that plane she'll never get the goggles down over the hat in time and she will CRASH. Stripey socks! Dorky facial expressions while singing mildly inane lyrics! Plus they all got mud on their boots, and Doc Martens are a pain to clean! Hope you brought your boot polish, Non-Blondes! And now you can see her underwear under that skirt and it's boxers! Slides!

This was basically my impression of the video clip to that song upon watching it again recently (actually, directly after the He-Man one, strangely enough). It brought back happy childhood memories..... kinda.

Also, I love this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

ExpiredSanity wrote:
Tofu wrote:
Do they randomly try to sex the other sex that they don't think about as "the other sex" unless you remove their own sex?

Also I take back all my complaining about the mods adding a time restriction on when you can edit your posts.

On this thread, there seem to be as many gender bender moments as when my MIL discusses the cats. What I don't understand is why someone wouldn't be ok with me insisting against the impropriety and indignity of incorrectly referencing the genitals/remaining reproductive organs of my kitties. They're wonderful cats and they deserve the world! We're cat people over here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:33 am 
Semen Strong

Quote:
What I don't understand is why someone wouldn't be ok with me insisting against the impropriety and indignity of incorrectly referencing the genitals/remaining reproductive organs of my kitties.

Insist all you want, but you asked us for our opinions by posting, and everyone (except you) seems to feel like this is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

You can't control your MIL's behavior or her use of language, but you can avoid it. If its that big a deal to you tell her you won't see her unless she recites your memory device at the door and the minute she gets one wrong kick her out. Its not something most of us would do - you have to be somewhat tolerant of small errors to survive in the world without constantly being upset. I don't like when people call animals "it" but I'm not going to mount a crusade against everyone who does.

And your MIL deserves as much kindness and tolerance as you give your cats.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofu wrote:
ExpiredSanity wrote:
Tofu wrote:

On this thread, there seem to be as many gender bender moments as when my MIL discusses the cats. What I don't understand is why someone wouldn't be ok with me insisting against the impropriety and indignity of incorrectly referencing the genitals/remaining reproductive organs of my kitties. They're wonderful cats and they deserve the world! We're cat people over here.

Still talking about sex and not gender here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tofu wrote:

Wait, so you were serious way back at the beginning?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

solipsistnation wrote:
Tofu wrote:

Hard to tell, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:06 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

ExpiredSanity wrote:

YES! VINDICATION!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:14 pm 

kimba wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:
Tofu wrote:

Hard to tell, isn't it?

Tofu is my favourite enigma.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:36 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

ExpiredSanity wrote:
kimba wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

Hard to tell, isn't it?

This sure is a melon scratcher.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Guess I'd better stop humping those cats.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:33 pm 

solipsistnation wrote:
Guess I'd better stop humping those cats.

And start sturdling them instead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:25 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

ExpiredSanity wrote:

There's an enigma decoder in your cereal box which translates tofu.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:20 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

paprikapapaya wrote:
This sure is a melon scratcher.

Or melon licker?

Tofulish wrote:
If its that big a deal to you tell her you won't see her unless she recites your memory device at the door and the minute she gets one wrong kick her out.

We attempted to quiz Grandpa about the cats every time she wanted to hold the baby. However, we were so exhausted that we were unable to follow through with this method.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

solipsistnation wrote:
Tofu wrote:

Bumped because this is one of the most awesome threads in the history of awesome threads (and this is not praise I bestow lightly).
Jigglypuff wrote:
Tofu, I'm sorry, but your cats don't care. I promise you they don't. And they don't even have a gender - they have a sex.
This is an excellent point - cat gender is completely constructed. In fact, I wonder what Judith Butler would have to say about this!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:38 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Guess who's visiting next month!!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

"What do you call the internet here?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

"We call it Gunter."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I've had a fun week with my MIL filled with good material for this thread. Last night was the breaking point. I hope everyone enjoys my post later today. Time to go to the "airfort"!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 am 
Semen Strong

Next time just use Manic Panic or another veg-based dye to dye the males blue and the females pink.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

At the very beginning of her trip, I had to explain to her why we don't refer to a cat or the dog as "it". I described how her granddaughter would not be referring to them as an "it". Breaking through the ingrained belief of the objectification of animals is difficult but we're using her grandchild to our advantage. Grandpa understood this but only time will tell if he chooses to remember it. On her last night we started calling her grandpa to her face and calling our girl a boy. It took her a minute to realize what we were doing. We kept doing it and it worked. Without any prompting she showed that she remembered our mnemonic memory device of "if the pet has any black fur anywhere, she's a girl" and had simply chosen not to apply it.

But the memory thing actually has me worried. In a store, you can tell my MIL you're headed to the bathroom and she'll say "Ok, let me hold that for you". 30 seconds later she thinks you left the building without her. I think she's becoming more "delusionized" as she grows older. Yup, she said that.

I have to reread this thread and see if I'm missing any "suplimentals" (I think she meant vitamins).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

It sounds like she has real memory problems that aren't actually funny or worthy of scorn. I hope no one treats me that way when I get older!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

IsaChandra wrote:
It sounds like she has real memory problems that aren't actually funny or worthy of scorn. I hope no one treats me that way when I get older!

Whatever you say grandma.

------------------------------
OkC | Google+
------------------------------

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next