| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why does my puppy love my cats poop?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've got a new pup at home (going on two weeks together now) and he's obsessed with the cat's litter box! I've moved her food on to a windowsill where he can't reach it, but I can't really stick the litter box anywhere high up, and he just keeps going back to it...again and again. Not only is it gross that he's eating poop...but the cat is freaking out!

Any suggestions? I've read there's stuff you can buy to spray on the poop that makes it smell and taste bad...but umm...it's poop. IMHO it already smells and tastes bad!

Post subject: Re: Why does my puppy love my cats poop?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

some dogs just really like to eat poo. and roll in poo (mine is like the poo detector, he can find the one spot of sheep poo in the park). some dogs eat their own poo, so i suppose it could be worse?

I think I've seen some kind of setup where the litterbox is inside another box so that dogs can't get in- nothing fancy, the cat can jump in, the dog can't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:31 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Cats have a shorter digestive tract so I think the food isn't as digested as it would be coming out of an omnivore/herbivore, so it possibly still smells like meat to him.

Miss Poppy loves nothing more than discovering that one of the local moggies have left her a snackapoop in the garden, can't get it down her neck quick enough as I gagscream across the lawn at her. When we had a cat I put the litter tray in the bathroom and put a low bit of trellis across the door to keep her (tiny) self out. A baby gate that the kitty can fit through would work too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Perhaps one of those litterboxes where there is a lid and the cat jumps in from the top?

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Invictus wrote:
Perhaps one of those litterboxes where there is a lid and the cat jumps in from the top?

I have one of these and it works well for keeping my toddler out of the litter. Clever cat is the brand I have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:24 pm 
Huffs Nooch

same gross problem here. She used to go into the box, grab a mouthful, then bring it back to the living room carpet for a nice snack. omg we would want to kill her. There are a few products out there to help. None of them worked for me but that doesnt mean they wont work for you. They definitely seem to smell the high protein content of their food. My pup loves cat poop but doesn't care for dog poop.
The easiest thing is spray deterrents like bitter apple spray. They sell different types of bad tasting things or you can make a home remedy with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. I recommend taking the dog to the store and spraying their different deterrents on your hand and see if she is grossed out or not. If that doesnt work, there is a product that you feed to the cat that makes the poop taste bad so the dog wont want it anymore. I have a lab so none of the taste deterrents bothered her (she even happily eats wasabi and lemon wedges) and I my cats are too picky to be willing to eat the other stuff. Google around and look for other suggestions of what to put in the litter box to keep him from wanting to be around it!
good luck!

*also, if you go to petsmart to the deterrent sprays and they dont work, they will take them back whether or not they are used. they will take back anything, including dog beds that have been torn to shreds or anything that was ruined.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:33 pm 

Hmm....a lot of these products unfortunately don't seem available where I live (Israel)...but there's probably a cover for the litter box available somewhere, hopefully that wouldn't stop my cat from wanting to use it.

My pup is not huge now, but he's going to grow to be a pretty dog, so I feel like a trellis or baby gate may not even stop him, unfortunately. I will definitely start off by trying the lemon juice/apple cider vinegar suggestions...and see how it goes! I appreciate all the advice and commiseration! (and like your dog chamaeleonsky...he doesn't have a thing for dog poop at all...just the litterbox!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Hmm....a lot of these products unfortunately don't seem available where I live (Israel)...but there's probably a cover for the litter box available somewhere, hopefully that wouldn't stop my cat from wanting to use it.

I bet you could make it!

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

How about scooping more frequently?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i lived in a kitties-only household for many many years before we adopted our greyhound, and i was pretty horrified when i learned she thought the litterbox was a delicious snack tray. barf.

the thing that worked for us is a simple barrier; this may or may not work for you, depending on height and your pup's proclivity to jump or be sassy. ;) maia is pretty "literal" with this stuff, so if there's a door or a fence or anything like that in her way, she gives up.

at our last house, the litterbox was in a large closet in our family room, and it didn't have an actual latch. so, we could simply close the door anytime we saw it cracked open (i.e., after a kitty used it), and the cats could open it by themselves by just sticking their paw underneath and pulling gently.

at this house, we have the litterbox in one of our bathrooms (one we don't really use much--our house has an embarrassing number of bathrooms). we can't do the door trick here because it would actually latch closed, so i had to figure something else out. we ended up getting one of those adjustable shower rods (a shorter one, for a shower stall rather than a full-length bathtub), and i put it in the doorway of the bathroom at maia's chest level. we can step over it easily (and we can still close the door), but she walks up to it and gives up. like i said, she's not the type to try to jump it or otherwise finagle her way in, so your mileage may vary, but it's worked really well for us.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:36 pm 

My puppy is a bit too smart for barriers I think...he can get almost everywhere if he's motivated enough I've learned. I am thinking about making a top for the litterbox and seeing how that goes...since nothing else seems to work. I scoop pretty often, but even if the box is poop free, he like to try and dig through looking, and sending litter everywhere!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i just remembered, we also have a fancy baby gate, with a swinging door & latch (so it's not annoying for humans, and you can still get in/out easily) AND a kitty door (so you can leave it open for the cat all the time), and that worked really well when we needed to keep the kitties in a certain room for a little while (with a litter box out in the open, plus their food and water, etc). it's pretty tall, so as long as your dog can't fit through the kitty door (maybe later?), it would probably work?

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-0941PW-Ex ... 000JJFNJK#

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:51 am 

So...my dog is even smarter than I thought. (Minus the poop eating thing) I've got the cat's food up on a windowsill at least 5 feet high. I got out of the shower yesterday, and not only had the dog headbutted open the door to the room with the litterbox and food, but he'd figured out how to jump from the floor, to my bed, to the night table, and from there reached the food on the windowsill. When I walked in he froze and stared at me with the guiltiest expression ever....but it seems there's no barrier he can't get past!

And he's not even full grown yet...it's only going to get easier!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

i used to have these same problems when my pup was younger. We put up pet gates - they are like baby gates but easy open and there is an opening in the bottom for cats to use. But of course, the 45 lb labrador was determined enough to manage to fit her huge body through that little hole! So I took some cardboard and taped it to the hole so she couldn't fit through anymore but the cats could. So she jumped over it. So it didn't really work that well. From that point, it became a training issue. I just made sure to make it very clear that jumping the gate was a huge no-no. There were plenty of times I had to run after her (she made a big thump landing on the other side of the gate so I always knew) and reprimanded her every time, eventually she just stopped doing it. I've pretty successfully taught her that crossing that threshold is not okay without my permission and she doesn't try but if there is poop in a litter box while I'm allowing her in that room she will still happily gobble it up. I just wasn't able to catch her in the act often enough to train it out of her.
Oh! I just remembered what finally got her to stop jumped over it! I stopped making a big deal, lol. I used to flip out and scream at her when she tried to get into that room. one day I decided to clean the litter and bring her in and let her explore. She had spent months desperately trying to get into that room that I think she just wanted to know what was so awesome in there! I did that a couple of times while the box was clean and she lost interest. so try letting him past the barrier under your supervision and showing him it isn't actually exciting back there! maybe that will help. good luck!
(sorry if that was rambly...)