| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Treating Arthritis in Dogs - Any remedies? Cosequin?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:40 pm 
Semen Strong

I did a search and didn't find a dedicated thread, though I did see that Raspberrycomplaint recommended Deva brand vegan glucosamine for pups who have it.

We think Cuddles might have arthritis and its definitely impacting his ability to get around (though he can still move very fast when he hears anything that might be food). And yesterday I met 2 elderbulls who were very spry, despite having arthritis, and they said the key was Cosequin (Jack Hanna is the spokesperson) and Rimadyl.

I am wondering about any other remedies (MBM mentioned that Brian takes turmeric for his, and it is safe for dogs, so maybe that is worth a try?) and would be grateful for any thoughts! I just want to give my elderbull a great last few painfree and bouncy years.

ImageDSC_0327-001

Post subject: Re: Treating Arthritis in Dogs - Any remedies? Cosequin?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:02 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

rimadyl is an NSAID pain medication and has been associated with liver problems and other side effects in some dogs. cosequin is a glucosamine + chondroitin sulfate supplement that is supposed to help maintain cartilage in the joints to prevent inflammation and pain from arthritis. lots of people take similar supplements, and you can usually find them in drugstores or grocery stores. cosequin can make a big difference for a lot of dogs. there are very few reported side effects (mostly gastrointestinal), and in some cases nothing else is needed. but dogs respond to it differently, and the improvement seen with it can plateau after a while. i'd recommend trying cosequin or something like it to start and seeing whether it's enough to improve his quality of life, but if he's really struggling and you think he needs a pain medication, your vet will be able to tell you which one is safest and best for him based on his general health.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:42 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I looked into vegan glucosamine for my osteoarthritis and the most reliable-looking tests on humans seemed to show that if it made any difference to pain it was negligible. I had already bought some by that time and so I'm not sure if it's a nocebo effect that it didn't seem to make any difference to me either, or just that I didn't take it long enough to give it a chance.

There are a huge range of fresh fruit, veg and spices that are meant to have anti-inflammatory properties, and I do notice I seem to feel better the more produce I eat, even if it's cooked, so something like produce-rich stews might help.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:45 am 
Chard Martyr

Aw, Cuddles is so cute. We have used both rimadyl and glucosamine + chondroitin for pets in the past, with decent results.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:24 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I can vouch for turmeric, it's good for swelling and I usually take a couple capsules whenever I get a new tattoo. I have never heard about giving it to dogs before, so my main concen would be to check if it is safe first. Molly has a slipped disc and for the past couple of years she has done really well with monthly injections of Ichon- my understanding is that it's a combo anti-inflammatory and pain meds. That may not be a good option for Cuddles if his pain is generalized and not limited to one joint or area.

Good luck, Cuddles!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'd recommend giving the turmeric and the glucosamine + chondroitin a try along with the rimadyl and then seeing about tapering down the rimadyl to a low maintenance dose if he starts doing really well. Yes, NSAIDs can cause some negative long term side effects that are worth discussing with the vet when Cuddles has a checkup, but at his age a low dose shouldn't catch up with him before his time. You could also research ways to support liver and kidney health to stave off those issues. He's probably been on it long enough that you would know if it was causing him gastrointestinal upset or some of the other weirdo side effects.

What a cute little muffin. I wanna squoosh his face.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:52 am 
WRETCHED

I take glucosamine for my osteoarthritis and I definitely think it works. I've been giving it to my dogs as well. From what I've researched, chrondrotin doesn't do anything so I just give the dogs plain up glucosamine.

I was just at the vet yesterday because our beagle was slow going up the stairs for a couple days and we suspected he might've did something. The doctor said that he seemed fine but she said that she will suspect our other dog will develop arthritis due to her knee surgery. She gave me a pamphlet on a new drug that they inject that is supposed to help with arthritis. They do a series of shots and then you need to get a booster for it every year. For small dogs, the initial series costs $300 so it is pricey and not sure the price for large dogs. If you are interested, I can call my vet to see the name of the drug to see if your vet knows about it and thinks it would be a viable solution.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:41 am 
Semen Strong

Cuddles' bloodwork came back fine (except for low sugar and low thyroid), but our MD is recommending that he be put on maintenance Rimadyl (carprofen). She doesn't think Cosequin is going to help an older dog like Cuddles but it "can't hurt."

She said they will monitor for liver damage, but that it is a very rare reaction.

If Cuddles is doing okay, would you do daily Carprofen or would you just use "as needed?" At the moment, he is walking around fine and just has a bit of trouble going up and down stairs. We got him a ramp, and are trying to get him comfortable using it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:10 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

we give cosequin to our entire hoard of dogs of all ages - its effects are very noticeable especially with the older ones.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
Cuddles' bloodwork came back fine (except for low sugar and low thyroid), but our MD is recommending that he be put on maintenance Rimadyl (carprofen). She doesn't think Cosequin is going to help an older dog like Cuddles but it "can't hurt."

She said they will monitor for liver damage, but that it is a very rare reaction.

If Cuddles is doing okay, would you do daily Carprofen or would you just use "as needed?" At the moment, he is walking around fine and just has a bit of trouble going up and down stairs. We got him a ramp, and are trying to get him comfortable using it.

I would do the carprofen daily with supplements until you see as close to 100% improvement as possible, and then consider tapering back. Then if the supplements act well enough as maintenance you could use the carprofen for flare ups. If you are not supplementing I wouldn't take him off of or taper back the carprofen, especially considering how bad he got. But I do think it is meant more as a maintenance drug as opposed to metacam or tramadol (both used for maintenance or flares but more often indicated for flares).

I looked back in the thread and I don't know if it wasn't mentioned or if I just missed it (I'm super tired so excuse me if this has been obviously answered) - but how old is Cuddles?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:37 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Dasuquin plus MSM is a step up from Cosequin. They are made by the same company. It seems to work well for my dog. Even better than the Dasuquin in my opinion is Springtime Longevity but it's not vegetarian. Dasuquin plus MSM tablets may be but I don't think the soft chews are.

Previcox is a newer NSAID for dogs, same class as Rimadyl but works better per my vet. So if Rimadyl stops working that's an option you could ask about. It's more expensive than Rimadyl though. I had an ortho vet who's been practicing for decades tell me most dogs have zero side effects from Rimadyl, so I quit worrying about all the horror stories you read on line after that.

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/lo ... AoO18P8HAQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

our dog julie (she was a pit/lab mix,we think) did really well on glucosamine. an emergency vet we went to last year recommended Schiff Move-Free Advanced (it's for human animals). it worked wonders for her and within a few days she was a lot more perky, had bounce in her step and seemed to be doing soooo much better. (julie was 50lbs and got a 1/2 a pill in the morning & another 1/2 in the evening - we just mixed it in with her homemade food) since then our neighbor has put his dog on it and has had the same results.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:50 am 
WRETCHED

Oh and for glucosamine, I'd just ask your doctor for the dosage. Our doctor said 500mg which is what the tablets in the store come in. They are small dogs though (20-30 lbs). So Cuddles might need more like 1000-1500mg. Our vet sells glucosamine chews but it is cheaper to buy tablets which we just mix in their food.