| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do your pets play with?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Why do I buy bird toys?!

I didn't get a photo of her running up, stealing my pencil, and running away with it. I'm not sure that graphite is part of a healthy parrot diet.

Molly usually seems to like anything except authorized toys.*My theory is that she just likes stealing. She loves straws, but only if she can steal them from drinks first.

* exception is really, really, super messy toys that can generate a debris field that covers the tristate area.

Post subject: Re: What do your pets play with?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My cats play with (wrapped, unused) tampons, dead insects, ear plugs, q-tips, and ghosts. Also, they carry around other toys and lay down on them. They don't do anything resembling play, they just move them and nap on them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

When I had a cockatiel he ate every pencil and pen I owned and ignored his legit eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This thread needs cute photos!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Anytime I get lexi a new teddy she rips it to pieces and plays with the squeaker for months. Once it is out it doesn't squeak but she can spend hours running around with it in her mouth, throwing it up in the air to play loner fetch and lying on her back with it between her teeth and batting it with her paws.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:49 am 
Nailed to the V

we have a cat ... she has many cat toys ... does she play with any of them? No ... not a playful cat.

she does however keep watch on her mouse ... given to her when a kitten, the bell is gone, much of the fuzzy coat is rubbed away & I once had to stitch it up under her baleful, watchful eye ...

she also has an empty shoe box in a corner of a spare bed room that she wedges herself into then gnaws away at the side.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:38 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Nothing. At all. Ever.

Seriously, she's never once played with a toy, or done anything resembling play with... anything! Only thing I've ever been able to do is occasionally I can get her to do a back and forth sort of 'stay... okay come here!' kind of thing that she likes if the mood hits her.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:58 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Apart from her special doughnut toy, Phoebe (dog) plays mostly with twigs and leaves from the garden which she lovingly leaves all over the living room. Also she loves to rip up paper. And chase flies. And chew underwear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:10 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My cats beat each other up. Does that count?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 am 
ugh

My cats all play with toys, which seems to be unusual for adult cats. I think it was because they were feral for some of their kittenhood so they learned normal housecat behavior later than most. They all lose their shiitake over laser pointers, which is the best toy when you know they want to play but are too lazy to move anything other than your wrist.

Minnie Mouse loves any kind of string. We have a few attached to wands, which is great because she loves to carry them around when she wants to play, and you can hear the wand dragging behind her. Best is waking up at 3am to that noise, when she brings them on the bed - who needs sleep?! She also used to love this foam rocket toy, just carrying it around, but we had to take it away when the foam began to disintegrate.

Beebee and Bing mostly prefer this rubbery wine cork that is loud as hell. (They also love regular wine corks but they are small enough that I'm afraid they'll try to eat them!)

Also, Bing likes chasing his tail occasionally! Which is so weird for a cat with such a long tail, it is not hard to catch.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Nacho is interested in NO toys whatsoever. I've never seen a dog like this. All he wants is food. If the toy has food in it, he'll lick it til it's empty, then ignore it.
He does, however, love to rip non-toy things apart. I gave him an old pillow the other day and am enjoying the look-mom-it's-snowing outside.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Violet's favorite thing is taking bones apart and scattering the pieces in the least convenient places for me. In my bed, between the couch & ottoman where I'll step on it, on my yoga mat while I'm trying to work out, etc.

Sometimes I'll buy her something stuffed, but she just unstuffs and then discards them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

none of my pets play with anything.
both dogs are on the older side and are past the destroying toys phase. the lab mix will play his version of fetch sometimes with whatever you throw. you will also play tug. but he wont play like by himself with a toy.

he has a dinosaur toy that he carries around like a baby and has never destroyed.

the beagle mix wont play with anything.

the guinea pigs arent playful either and ive never had a guinea pig who was playful (with toys anyways)
i would say guinea pigs just dont play with toys but i have heard of pigs who like to toss things around and play with them

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My dogs just like to play tug of war with each other, and they love deflated soccer balls (for birthdays my mom will buy them a new one and they really don't get into it for a day or 2 until its punctured) and those stuffed animal toys that are really long and have no filling. Their toybox is filled with shreds of toys, and those are the ones they like the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:09 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

torque wrote:
Nacho is interested in NO toys whatsoever. I've never seen a dog like this. All he wants is food. If the toy has food in it, he'll lick it til it's empty, then ignore it.
He does, however, love to rip non-toy things apart. I gave him an old pillow the other day and am enjoying the look-mom-it's-snowing outside.

Orion is exactly like this. It took us, what, 3 years to teach (=bribe) him to fetch, and the only thing he fetches consistently is his Kong because then I fill it with treats.

I got him a couple of chew toys when he was young as he was still a bit toothy (nipped a corner of my copy of V'con, so vegan) but he was not interested at all. However, he looooves tearing tissues apart. And cuddling with / rolling around in dirty laundry if he can get to it (urgh). Otherwise, he just plays with people. Doing tricks, running back and forth asking to be petted, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Quita, my female chihuahua, has no interest in toys at all. But she will play with Migo, my male chihuahua. They have this excellent bouts of very raucous chasing, growling and wrestling. They don't last more than a minute or two but it's so cute. Quita will also play with Tungsten, my Canaan dog (see avatar). She makes these squeaks to get him started and then starts screaming when he engages. But, it's play screaming. Very funny.

Migo likes toys that squeak, and does play fetch with a couple of his favourite squeaky toys. His squeaky blue dog and his tiny squeaky tennis balls are among his favourites, but nothing comes close to the cuteness of his Christmas Mousie. It plays a very tinny, high pitched version of a Christmas carol and it is hilarious.

Tungsten plays toys, but in brief bouts. He has a few stuffies that have lasted him a number of years and he's generally gentle with toys until they receive a rip significant enough to pull stuffing out of. Then he destroys them. He also plays tug with certain toys and certain people, and plays "hands" with Daddy (aka tugging on Mr Moon's fingers gently. Mostly gently). I like to play "watch Tungsten be a paper shredder" by giving him junk mail or other garbage paper that can't really be recycled and watching him excitedly tear it up. He never eats it. Just shreds it. He also likes this game with used dryer sheets but he only gets them if they fall on the floor and I don't see them.

Mona (greyhound) plays toys, but mostly the very stealthy game of "I am going to steal and then lay down on top of whatever the other dogs are playing with". If there are a number of toys out she will collect them all slowly, put them in her corner of the couch and lay on top of them. She will also play brief bouts of tug when she's in a particular mood. If the chihuahuas are running around excitedly she will briefly chase and nip at them a bit but I think she's not very good at dog on dog play and gets intimidated quickly.

Kris (cat #1) plays with rubber bands, and his squeaky mouse/bird on a string that hangs from the bathroom door. He also "plays" with cardboard boxes by chewing on them when he's particularly annoying. Motor (cat #2) likes catnip in small doses and teaser wand type toys.

The rats are getting old but do still chew on their wooden dangly toys and occasionally with potato chip cans or similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My cat loves to play with wine corks and bottle caps. Not especially awesome to hear them skittering across the hardwood floor at 3am when I'm trying to sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Bonnie, our dog, likes her glow ball (ball that lights up), her 'hedgie' (stuffed hedgehog), a zombie nurse toy I got her last Halloween and her nylabone. She also likes her Kong and the two games from Nuna Ottuson I got her. She's spoiled!

The cats like mice (especially one Allularpunk sent in our swap package), ping pong balls and interactive toys like the Cat Dancer. They love boxes too. We just built them a cat tree and some are happy with just the box.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

One of my cats has taken to chewing off pieces of the white plastic vertical blinds in our basement window. He gets a big 4" piece off and then trots up the stairs with it in his mouth and bats it around for a few minutes before he leave it dead in the kitchen for me to clean up. Other than that he loves dirty q-tips out of the trash and snotty used tissues. Oh and cough drop wrappers! Those are a blast! Cat toys are useless...I still continue to buy them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The macaw is playing with his paper rope!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My sister's cat is obsessed with garden ties. She will play with them all day

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Invictus wrote:
My cats play with (wrapped, unused) tampons

I used to have a dog who would pull used tampons out of the bin and rip them apart all over the bathroom floor. :(

My cat has always ignored cat toys. I bought him this recently, but I should've known better... I got down on the floor and batted the ball around in an attempt to demonstrate what he was supposed to do, but he just stared at me like I'd gone mad. He does enjoy boxes, and he likes those "Magic Wiggly Worm" toys (meant for human children) that come on invisible string. I discovered this after getting one in a Christmas stocking once. I just remove the little plastic eyes first so he doesn't swallow them!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am 
WELFARIST!

Both my cats love all their toys, especially the semi feral who plays merrily with everything and with much gusto. She loves it when I floss my teeth since she chases the floss as I go along. Lovey wrestles with his catnip pillow and also chews, eats, licks it and sleeps on it. Two very playful cats living here. The list of toys they neglect is shorter and the one toy that really gets neglected is this this fuzzy/glam ball thing. That's really the only toy that neither ever play with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The beagles mostly play with each other
The puppy does love destroying pillows
And he loves his alligator snuggle buddy

I found my childhood pound puppies and they really liked them

And Miss Willow has had this green toy since she came to live with us and it's her favorite thing on earth.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

<3 Alligator puppy!