| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: luna is wheezing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:02 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm trying not to be that overprotective, hypochondriac fur mom, because I take my companion animals to the vet over every little thing. But Luna, my kitty, is wheezing, particularly when she sleeps. I've been hearing some strange noises that I can best describe as gurgling. She is still eating food, drinking water, purring like mad, and generally being playful. The all powerful internets suggest allergies, a cold, or a furball.

I have no problem taking her to the vet tomorrow morning if need be, but was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with a wheezing kitty.

Thank you!

My little cinnamon bun.

PS: If I may clarify, the last time we took her to the vet they put a thermometer in her bum, and it was very stressful, and I'm just trying to be more conscious of what warrants a vet visit.

Post subject: Re: luna is wheezing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had a cat who had a cold and wheezed, it was after a serious injury and he had a lot of surgeries lined up so we told the vet about it just incase it compromised his healing, she recommended having a vaporizer put in the room he usually sleeps in. Cleared it all up! And my sinuses too!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Is it possible she is just snoring? I've heard all of my cats snore at one point or another, and one of them snores regularly. Her snoring changes depending on her sleeping position and level of sleep, sometimes it is just heavy breathing, other times she makes little chirping noises.

However, my oldest cat, who passed away recently, began to wheeze/pant heavily (as if a human was making the noise) while laying out across the rug. The vet said this was because of a stroke she had had recently. But she wasn't acting healthy otherwise and she would howl, get lost, become confused, etc..., so if Luna is acting normal in every other way, I wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:53 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I second the snoring thought. My cat Camille wheezes loudly when she sleeps and after a few moments of panic similar to what you are experiencing now, I realized she was just snoring away!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My cat wheezed when he has a respiratory infection - he ended up needing cream for his eyes but nothing for the wheezing. However, it helped him by having a hot steamy shower and having him in the bathroom with me - the steam was good for his breathing when he was like this, especially since the air here is super dry.