| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: my kitten has a bone infection
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Me and Effie are going on an outdoor tour tomorrow! Paris, London. I am preparing her passport this evening.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:40 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

That sucks so hard. Sub-q fluids are actually pretty easy though, as long as the cat doesn't fuss or fight. I think a lot of people think it would be the worst thing ever to jam a needle into your cat, but it really isn't.

Also I want to see Panda walking Effie on a leash now.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 am 
Naked Under Apron

I just saw this thread and read the whole thing...

So sad and sorry to hear what you and Effie are going through. I can't imagine how I'd feel if this were my pet. Hold on to her tight.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:38 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I do have a leash! Maybe I will leave it out for Panda but the one time I put a harness on Effie she kind of freaked out. Fortunately my building's yard is only open on one side and made no attempts to escape.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Learning how to jam needles into my kitten in less than an hour. Thank god my vet's office has complimentary vegan chocolate in the lobby or I would never get through it.

Kittee, I know you go to Mt. Tabor too, have you been since they switched to vegan chocolates? I have literally gone every day for the past five days and sometimes I eat three because I feel like I deserve it. Oh I haven't had Effie with me every time, I've also been picking up medications and stuff, and getting hugs from all the nurses and receptionists who then start crying. Ok basically I am going for the chocolate. Also if you go there and tell any staff person that you know Effie they will know her, she's like a celebrity!

Effie seems so much more like herself on pain meds, I feel bad that I didn't get them for her before, cats are so good at hiding when they are in pain though! It just didn't become obvious until Wednesday and now I'm like shiitake, you have so much more energy now, and considering that pain meds are actually supposed to sedate you somewhat, you must have just hurt too much to be that active. She also ate probably an ounce of her new favorite Fancy Feast flavor, Wild Salmon Souffle with Eggs and Garden Greens (fourth ingredient wheat gluten--ugh). AND drank some water this morning, so that's pretty awesome. Last night she cuddled with me and I didn't even have to force her too--I think that's because of the pain meds too. Before I was having to put her cat bed on my bed to get her to sleep near me but last night she chose to sleep on my bed, and then would leave and explore a little and even eat some Temptations and come back up.

Also, guys, I have a brilliant business idea. From all my reading about getting sick cats to eat, the one thing that it seems most cats have in common is they LOVE Temptations. Problem: Temptations have 2 calories per treat, which they brag about because most people don't want their cats to gain wait or something. Meanwhile, I would really like Effie to gain a pound and a half. Can we make Temptations that have like 20 calories? Pack a bunch of oil in there? Why is no one on this?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:47 am 
Naked Under Apron

strawberryrock wrote:

Kittee, I know you go to Mt. Tabor too, have you been since they switched to vegan chocolates? I have literally gone every day for the past five days and sometimes I eat three because I feel like I deserve it. Oh I haven't had Effie with me every time, I've also been picking up medications and stuff, and getting hugs from all the nurses and receptionists who then start crying. Ok basically I am going for the chocolate. Also if you go there and tell any staff person that you know Effie they will know her, she's like a celebrity!

oh! i was in there yesterday getting vee weighed, and i forgot all about the chocolate!! thanks for the reminder! i love mt. tabor SO MUCH! they all know vee by name, too. and they are all so damned nice. love it love it.

eat all their chocolate, girl. seriously.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

strawberryrock wrote:

Effie seems so much more like herself on pain meds, I feel bad that I didn't get them for her before, cats are so good at hiding when they are in pain though!

Don't feel bad, they are good at hiding it. When Chester had his surgery my vet found that in addition to the tendon that connects the hip bone into the socket being snapped, he also had a ton of torn butt muscles that were very painful and he probably would've been on a high dose of pain meds if we had known. Animals cope with pain better than humans, we are all whiny babies in comparison.

And you can add flax oil to her food to help get some calories in her.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am 

kittee wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

oh! i was in there yesterday getting vee weighed, and i forgot all about the chocolate!! thanks for the reminder! i love mt. tabor SO MUCH! they all know vee by name, too. and they are all so damned nice. love it love it.

eat all their chocolate, girl. seriously.
xo
kittee

I am going to ask them who is more famous when I get there in a few minutes. And until they have a frequent buyer card (12 exam fees get one free? I am probably one of the few people who would benefit a lot from that) I feel like eating fancy chocolate and getting french press coffee when I go is the least I can do. Everyone there is seriously great, though. One of the receptionists was telling me how she lived in my neighborhood and if I ever needed help with fluids or medication I could contact her and if Effie needed to get to the vet but I had to go to work she could just pick Effie up. Like, for free, as a personal favor.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:39 am 
Naked Under Apron

strawberryrock wrote:

I am going to ask them who is more famous when I get there in a few minutes. And until they have a frequent buyer card (12 exam fees get one free? I am probably one of the few people who would benefit a lot from that) I feel like eating fancy chocolate and getting french press coffee when I go is the least I can do. Everyone there is seriously great, though. One of the receptionists was telling me how she lived in my neighborhood and if I ever needed help with fluids or medication I could contact her and if Effie needed to get to the vet but I had to go to work she could just pick Effie up. Like, for free, as a personal favor.

ha ha. i think they are ALL so NICE. i just love them. dr. sulis once volunteered to bring vee some meds on her way home from a saturday at work. seriously.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

strawberryrock wrote:
Also, guys, I have a brilliant business idea. From all my reading about getting sick cats to eat, the one thing that it seems most cats have in common is they LOVE Temptations. Problem: Temptations have 2 calories per treat, which they brag about because most people don't want their cats to gain wait or something. Meanwhile, I would really like Effie to gain a pound and a half. Can we make Temptations that have like 20 calories? Pack a bunch of oil in there? Why is no one on this?

Yeah, I don't know what is up with Temptations, but cats love them. I know a woman whose cat has subsisted for years eating only Temptations, because they're they only food the cat will eat! Two things we use to help cats gain weight are Nutrical and kitten formula. Nutrical is a paste you can mix with their food or put directly in their mouth. It is a calorie and vitamin supplement. Kitten formula we use for ill cats. They usually like the taste, and by drinking it they are getting hydrated as well as getting nutrients.

I'm glad Effie is feeling better with her pain meds! SubQ fluids aren't bad once you get the hang of it. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm so glad you're getting her to eat and even drink a little.

I second the "don't feel bad that you didn't know she needed pain meds". My feral kitten was always skittish and stand-offish, she never liked being held or petted and she always liked to sit about 10 feet away from the hubby and I and just watch us. I attributed it to her being born feral. One night I noticed her breath was pretty awful, brought her to the vet, they said she desperately needed a dental (and yes, I was and still do bring her in for yearly check-ups). Turns out the poor baby had resorptive lesions (which are extremely painful) in 9 teeth! After they pulled the 9 affected teeth, she turned into the sweetest snuggle kitty ever. I felt like the hugest pile of crepe for a long time over that one, I actually cried about it for days I felt so guilty.

Moral of the story, they are just so stoic it's so hard to tell what's going on with them sometimes.

It sounds like you're doing a great job with her!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:47 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm so sorry strawberryrock! I was hoping that maybe you'd get lucky and not get the diagnosis you were expecting. I know exactly what it's like to have your vet tell you that if you're lucky you might get a few more months with your kitty. Just hold her close and treasure every moment you have, and try to live in the moment as much as you can. That's what she's doing... she isn't blaming you for mistakes you made or worrying about what will come, she's just enjoying the moment and being with you. If you're doing that, you're doing everything right. (((hugs)))

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:21 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

We have rolled on the walkway. And rolled again. And again. And again. And again.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:33 pm 

Pandas make the best catsitters! Effie is telling me about what a fun day she had while Agnes makes her best surly teenager expression.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm late, but I'm really sorry about Effie, Strawberryrock. That said, all things considered, it is so great that she ended up getting adopted by someone amazing like you, who is taking such excellent care of her. Thinking good thoughts for you guys. <3

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 am 

Guys Effie's favorite food is no longer available at Fred Meyer! Seriously, she eats way more of Fancy Feast Wild Salmon Souffle with Eggs and Garden Greens (Ingredients: Euthanized shelter animals, wheat gluten imported from China, sadness, artificial flavors) than anything else. She ate over half a 3 oz can in one sitting once, with other foods I've never seen her have more than a few bites at a time! And it is gone from the shelves and I am debating whether I should buy a case from Amazon right now or hope the appetite stimulant does its magic and she'll become less picky and eat actual species appropriate foods. Also, I had never looked at supermarket pet foods before, and that shiitake is ridiculous. I keep trying to get her to eat Before Grain Salmon because Agnes eats the Before Grain poultry flavors and it's a good food and I thought maybe it would be similar enough, and she'll have a few bites but she just loves that Fancy Feast shiitake.

I don't really know why I'm sharing the super mundane bits of having a kitten with a fatal incurable disease but I've got to vent somewhere!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Get the case - don't hesitate. If it's something she loves that will encourage her to eat a bit, it's worth it. If things change, she can still have it as a treat.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:09 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

SR, I too just read the thread in its entirety. You are being so brave for Effie!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:55 am 
Nailed to the V

Strawberryrock, I am so, so sorry. Effie is so incredibly lucky to have you. <3

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:43 pm 

I bought the case on Amazon, with two day shipping, so I think I am spending $1.50 per 3 oz can, way way more than I spend on high quality food for Agnes. And also Effie hasn't eaten much today, even of her last can of that kind. But I can always donate cat food to PAW Team if she won't eat it anymore. I feel like the money I spend on food for her is going to be comparable to the vet bills, since I end up offering her at least 5 foods a day and then throwing most of them away. I gave her the appetite stimulant today and she foamed at the mouth so much and I don't think she got much of it down, but I have no idea how much she absorbed, and I can only give it once every three days. I'm guessing she didn't get enough to do anything but I don't want her to overdose.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:26 pm 

Here's a question. How do you syringe feed (yes things have gotten a little desperate today) and give a cat nutri cal without having to constantly give them a bath? She just had her second bath this week. I feel horrible but she was super haggard and crusty. Thank god she's pretty easygoing (she will try to get away from the water but she would never bite or scratch me--amazing, I know), but I mostly just don't want to put her through it!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:27 pm 

At least when she's grooming herself post-bath she's getting hydrated?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

could you maybe wipe off the mess on her face with baby wipes or a wet washcloth? i think it's pretty hard to do without making a mess, but she might not need a bath every time.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:00 pm 

I've tried both special cat wipes and wet wash cloth. No luck. Her fur is so long and fine and especially the nutri cal is just so sticky (main ingredients are corn syrup and soybean oil). She hates the wipes and wet wash cloth a lot anyway, so I feel like it's not really helping her a lot if it doesn't even work.

I'm definitely not giving her a bath every day or anything--the last one she got was on Monday--I let her get crusty for a while, but today she was so dirty.

It's good that she's so sweet. She definitely tried very hard to get away from the water but I know she would never scratch or bite me.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 pm 

She does look pretty cute post-bath though.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awwww....wook at her in her cozy pod of piwwows! I wouldn't mind having a snooze there myself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next