| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help, my dog is nocturnal
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We've had Bella for just over a year now and she's about a year and 9 months.
She gets up in the middle of the night, most nights, walking around (we have wood floors and her clicking nails wake us up), bringing things to the bedroom, dropping them (so that we wake up), whining, nosing or licking our hands, chewing things in the family room. I never know what I'll wake up to!
Some of it is/was cute but it's getting tiring. In the morning we're exhausted.

I know the answer would be to crate her but I hate doing that, we crate her when we go to work because she chews. I don't want to crate her all day AND all night. As far as exercise is concerned, I walk her for an hour in the morning before leaving for work and about 2 hours in the evening. Sometimes she meets a friend she plays with. On top of that (not instead), hubby jogs with her 3-4 times a week for about an hour. Sundays we go to doggy school where she plays with other dogs at the end of the sessions, and Tuesday evenings we do fungility for an hour (agility for fun). Our evening walks are usually to some conservation area where she likes jumping up on tree stumps, walking on fallen trees and up and around stuff. I try to make it an interesting walk for her. She's as agile as a mountain goat. I have a harness and tried to get her to pull stuff but she hates it. She's very smart and is very aware of her back legs. She can walk on 2x2's that are arranged side by side inline at different heights so she has to think before placing each paw. Something they do in school and she's a natural at it. Extremely smart, you can see she's trying to figure things out in her head before doing them.

So, what to do? I can't afford doggy daycare or visits during the day and unfortunately we both have to work. Any ideas? She's not into food so those toy puzzles don't interest her. We pretty well spend all our time with her unless we're at work. We live outside of the city and don't go out very often.

Off leash is out of the question, she's a runner and an accomplished hunter!

Post subject: Re: Help, my dog is nocturnal
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:44 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Wow, with all those walks, yeah I don't really think her not getting enough exercise is the issue! Wow! Both me and my dog are jealous. What kind of toys does she like? She likes chewing, so maybe try different silent chew toys, maybe you can find her one that she'll go nuts on so she wont feel like going and bothering you guys as much? Other than that some solutions would be to get more rugs, so less clicking noise (also, do her nails click much even when cut short?). Also, could you just close your bedroom door? That'd probably make most dogs whine more though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:14 pm 
Chard Martyr

I wonder if she is scared or feels the need to protect you from something at night?

also, she's adorable and sounds really talented! I hope someone can suggest something that helps. Sounds like you're doing great things with her!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Also, the nights that I give my pup melatonin (fireworks/thunder) she seems to get preeeeety sleepy. But I don't feel like that would be an option for everyday! Maybe you could try it for one night here and there just to try and give yourselves a break.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I'd talk to a behaviorist. If you're in NYC, Pets for Life has a hotline you can call. Maybe find one in your area?

It sounds like she has day and night confused - because she has to be crated and quiet in the day, she wants to play at night, and if she is a young dog, the walks are great, but they don't satisfy all her needs. My MIL's dog is similarly high energy, and it takes a lot of dog walker time to get her tired out.

Can you get her a space where there isn't anything to chew, like a basement or garden or something, during the day?

Or maybe she needs a friend to play with in the day :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm not sure there's much you can do about the walking around/playing with her toys at night short of crating her or putting away any noisy toys each night (my dog does it too, but he's pretty quiet and mostly sleeps on the sofa at night so it's not a problem). However, you can train her out of whining/licking/hassling you when you want to be asleep. If you've been responding by paying any attention to her whatsoever (even just saying "no"), just stop. Ignore her completely when she hassles you. Roll over and pretend to be asleep. She might escalate and bark or jump or whatever at first, but hold firm and just keep ignoring her. Eventually she'll get the message that she shouldn't bother you when you're in bed.

Zane went through a phase where he cried every night as soon as we went to bed (he was having some stomach issues at the time, so sometimes he really needed to go out and sometimes he was just being a brat). We just studiously ignored him unless it became clear that he really did need to go out, and now he's nice and quiet at night except for the occasional playing or a true emergency that he needs us awake for. We also don't have a bedroom door and he knows to stay out of our bedroom until morning when he wakes me up to take him for his walk.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:27 am 
Tofu Pup

my puppy did the same thing to me for the first week or two...usually i ended up having to put her in the bed with me...once she gets used to your routine...you'll get some sleep.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:07 am 
Tofu Pup

my grandma has a yellow dog but it has been outside for two day she was very worried about it