| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: evil cat won't let me sleep
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

This has been going on for a while now and I feel like it's negatively affecting my ability to get anything done. Matilda is almost one and for the past few months she has been waking me up regularly around 6am by meowing at me from the windowsill, climbing the curtains, attacking my feet, whining loudly from various parts of the apartment, running full speed into the windows, and being generally annoying. She'll start at 6 and go on for a while then take a break, so I'll fall back asleep. But then in a couple hours she's back at. This basically goes on until I finally give up and get out of bed.

I don't know what she does it and she's SO whiny. Maybe she wants to play? But it's 6am, dammit, and I don't go to bed early I don't want to play at 6am. I've checked to make sure she has food and water and she always does, so I don't think that's the issue. It's like she just doesn't want me to get a full night's sleep. I haven't gotten 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep in too long. And because she's so annoying in the morning I usually end up staying in bed way too late to try and get every bit of sleep I can. Which is not productive.

I don't know what to do about it, but it's driving me crrrrazy.

Post subject: Re: evil cat won't let me sleep
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:27 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

We used to have this problem a lot with Luna. We found that if we played with her a lot before we went to bed, she usually slept through most of the night, so maybe try to "tire her out" before you hit the sheets. I'm guessing closing your bedroom door would just make things worse. How is her behavior the rest of the day?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

I live in a studio apartment, so I don't have the option of closing the door. I'm sure even if I did she'd just cry the whole time. She generally pretty wild/ energetic, but she is still a kitten. I'll try to tire her out playing tonight and see if that helps. She has tons of toys and a tower to climb on and will attack anything that moves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I didn't know it was a thing that ANY cats don't do this. Sorry, unhelpful. I'm also up between 4-6 every morning to tend to Buhbah's attention-seeking ways.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:28 pm 
A Bad Person

One of our cats used to keep me up at night. Then I enacted the "if I don't sleep, you don't sleep" policy, and every time I caught her sleeping somewhere, I'd jostle her around and wake her up. It solved the problem rather quick!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Interesting that that worked, Brian!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Cats are most active at sunset and sunrise, so this sounds pretty normal. To a certain extent, your cat will probably calm down a little as she gets older.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Does she have set meat times? Or is she free fed?

With my cats, if they wake me up in the morning, it's generally because they think it's time for breakfast. We moved their meal times from 7am/pm to 8am/pm and it solved the problem! They usually start bothering me about half an hour before feeding time, so now they don't wake me up till 7:30ish vs. 6:30ish. Maybe try that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This might be super obvious, but have you tried ignoring her?

ALL of our animals (two cats and a 45 lb border collie) will jump on the bed around 7:30-8:30 AM, which isn't terrible, but we do like to sleep later than that when possible. Toby (the dog) is pretty good about waiting to be invited, but he seems to think that once the cats jump up there, it's an automatic invitation. I find that if we just suffer through the noise and them climbing on us for a few minutes, they'll usually just lie down and chill until we get up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

brian wrote:
One of our cats used to keep me up at night. Then I enacted the "if I don't sleep, you don't sleep" policy, and every time I caught her sleeping somewhere, I'd jostle her around and wake her up. It solved the problem rather quick!

And now she's really old and doesn't care about anything but getting daddy to pet her.

Genghis and Gozer never really did this, I don't think. Gozer is a cuddling cat, he sleeps with/on us. And Genghis lives in the basement so if she is forking around at sunrise, I have no idea.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Buhbah is an older cat but he wakes us up because he wants to play. I give him a few scratches and nowadays he afterward jumps on the windowsill in our bedroom and chases his tail for a while, which is kind of annoying sound-wise, but it's so ridiculously cute that we just try to either sleep through it or watch him. He's only allowed on my side of the bed (boyfriend is allergic), so if he crosses the line he gets kicked off and that peas him off so he goes and sulks in one of his boxes, which means we get to sleep longer.

Oops, sorry. I did that thing again where I start talking about my cat in a thread not about my cat.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:33 pm 
<3

Mars wrote:
Interesting that that worked, Brian!

Yes. Amazing the complex associations cats can make. I'm thinking maybe something else worked here. But perhaps the OP has found her solution. Appears to be approved.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My cats are the world's best alarm clocks. No matter what time we go to bed, no matter when their last meal was, no matter how much we played the night before, waking time is 6am. Once I finally give up and get out of bed, both of my cats go back to bed. They are now 8 and 9 years old and I'm guessing they aren't going to stop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Gutierrez80 wrote:
I think that the main reason why cats do that is simple. Every parasite wants to be with its host and that is why they behave like that.

FIXED. :)

I live with eight parasites.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

My cat does the same thing! It doesn't matter when the last time he was fed, or how often we play with him. He causes a whiny ruckus at about 6am. Luckily my partner gets up to deal with the cat because if I have to get out of bed at 6am somebody is getting assaulted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 am 
Semen Strong

Our sweet Veto did that until we got him a cat buddy. Then they'd play themselves into exhaustion and leave us alone.

Maybe Mathilda needs a friend?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:57 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Severus does this too. My bedtime and morning sleep time seems to be his playtime. I just let him get on with it because there is nothing else to do. Except getting a new friend for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:31 am 
Saggy Butt

My cat used to wake me at 5 every single day by biting my face or any body part not protected by covers! He has stopped since being introduced to the other cat because they just race around all day and tire each other out. He only does it every so often now, mainly when the other cat has been let out and he can hear him outside my door so he screams his head off until i let him out. The joy of animals!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:10 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Tempting me to get another kitty friend for Severus ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:01 am 
Saggy Butt

^^ 2 cats are always better than 1.
This is coming from someone whos friends are already entirely certain is going to be the batty old cat lady of the group though :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:28 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I stopped wanting to yell at my cat when one morning she woke me up and I looked at the clock, ready to get angry, and realized my alarm wasn't on. Saved my arse. Now if only she could make breakfast.