| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Road Trip with Dog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:32 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I will soon be taking home a beautiful adopted dog!

But, I am a little concerned because this summer I'll be road-tripping from Colorado to Connecticut and back again at the end of May and beginning of August. I've seen on other topics that many hotels/motels accept pets. What other things do I need to be aware of as I prepare for a road trip?

My soon-to-be dog is about 3 years old and just 15 lbs. What supplies will I need? What mistakes should I avoid?

Post subject: Re: Road Trip with Dog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've done this 3 times with 2 chihuahuas. Every time was round trip from California to Texas, and it can be intense driving long distances. My best advice is to make sure the dog is as comfortable as possible.

Definitely need a harness or kennel.
Bring more food and treats than you think you'll need.
Bring all paperwork, licenses, and have up to date shots.
Stop for water and walks every few hours.
Double and triple check that you have everything before you leave.

I also found some good tips here and here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:15 am 
Huffs Nooch

I always bring along a doggie first aid kit that's tailored for my dog's issues. I make sure I have his ear wash and prescription ear cream that I keep on hand, a tweezer for pulling out ticks, gauze bandages, hot spot spray, anti-bacterial cream, Benadryl, arthritis supplements, probiotics. Sometimes I don't have to use any of it except the arthritis stuff and probiotics which he gets every day. But on an overnight trip his ear problem flared up in the middle of the night at the hotel. I used his ear meds and by morning it was fine. So I always make sure to bring them no matter how short a trip it might be.

On the road I try to give him a rest stop break every 1-2 hours so he can at least stretch his legs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:27 am 
Semen Strong

La Quinta will always take dogs with no extra fees for cleaning etc, and they are pretty widespread.

I like the dog harness we bought - its only $15, and it can keep your dog from flying around the car.

If anyone has a pitbull or pitmix, remember to check for any breed specific legislation along your route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Tofulish wrote:
If anyone has a pitbull or pitmix, remember to check for any breed specific legislation along your route.

Definitely, even if it looks remotely pit'ish, be aware of the areas you are going through. I am drawing a blank on the name but there is a website out there that will help you plan your trip to avoid BSL areas.

good luck and congrats on the new doggie!

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:22 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Also, if you need to stop for gas, try to pick an exit with multiple gas station choices so you can pick the one that's the most dog walking friendly. Pulling into a concrete jungle and having to try and find a strip of grass for your dog to poop on can suck. Leave the long walks for rest areas.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We just did this yesterday! We drove 15 hours with Hank, and after 10 hours we picked up our new dog from a country town along the way. Hank loves the car, so we didn't have any major issues- the only real downside was that he didn't sleep at all. He must have been too excited, or maybe convinced that the dog park was FINALLY just around the next corner. He was a bit out of it by the time we got here, but was otherwise perfectly fine (and was happy to get back in the car for a 10 minute drive today).

I agree with the harness recommendations, as well as looking up the legal requirements for the states you'll be passing through. Most of our ride was through New South Wales, and you legally have to have your dog on a harness while driving there. We stopped at least every two hours for drink/walk/toilet breaks and that seemed to suit Hank just fine. We brought along a few of his favourite treats (vegan pig's ears!), but he wasn't interested in them- I think the sights were enough excitement for him. It's best to be prepared though.

The most useful thing we took was baby wipes. Everyone recommended them and we weren't sure why- until the new dog got carsick twice. The rescue organisation she came from said she'd been in the car a few times before and hadn't been sick, so it can happen even when you don't expect it to. The baby wipes were a lifesaver for cleaning her up, as well as the dog bed she was sick in. Take a Tupperware container to put the used wipes in, too- I'm not sure what the roads you'll be taking are like, but we were in real outback territory and bins were few and far (by which I mean hours) between.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This water bottle has been great for my baby:
http://www.amazon.com/Handi-Drink-Dog-Water-Bottle-Spill-proof/dp/B000GDXHQ0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_T1?ie=UTF8&coliid=I15QBJNSC3PCXB&colid=11MONPMANGG0X

Regarding (ridiculous) BSL laws, these are some sites to check:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AhApKv_NwWN9dDFfaXRBNVg1bWNmYjNKaWc1M0lzT1E&hl=en&output=html
http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-state-by-state.php

The above two sites are U.S. sites. I hate the tone of the second one, but there are useful facts there.

UK BSL site:
http://www.endangereddogs.com/Dangerous ... %20Act.htm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Erinerrung: vegan pig's ears? Wow, wherever do you find those?

And yes, baby wipes are essential when traveling with dogs!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have traveled cross country with Vee, plus several trips that involved two days driving each way. He usually just sleeps in the back seat, or on my lap if I'm the passenger. If possible, I would walk him in the morning before we got started, and then a nice long walk once we got to the hotel each night. I always put a very smooshy blanket in the back, along with a pillow. He knows this as a sign now, to buckle down for a long ride.

Good luck!
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

You should also do some short trips with your new dog prior to your long trip to see how he/she handles riding in the car. I have my first carsick dog ever and that's why I recommended the short trips to make sure you new dog travels well. If he/she doesn't like the car or gets carsick you may need to pick up something from your vet to help him/her.

In addition to everything else that has been mentioned, I always bring a few extra trash bags & towels just in case of an accident or car sick dog.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:03 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Oh, and always lay down a towel in case your dog gets explosive diarrhea in the car and can't even make it to the next rest stop. Live and learn.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Here is the harness we got - its only $15 and it works really well: http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-62296-Vehi ... 481&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have a dog who is pretty into car rides, but when I drove from Indiana to Maryland with him, he was REALLY not into it. He was panting a lot, didn't want his food, and whenever we got out of the car for a break he was very very very difficult about getting back in. So I guess just be aware that some dogs act differently on long vs short rides?