| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My cat has a new kitten brother...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

And his name is Momotaro, or Momo for short (not named after the PPKer, contrary to popular belief!). It means 'peach' in Japanese - Momotaro is 'peach boy', after a Japanese folk tale of a boy born out of a giant peach. Our new kitten's ears are fuzzy and pink. And our first cat's name is Midori, or Mido for short. Mido and Momo!

Here are the pics I know you came here to see:

I don't know why my hands are like that. I was trying not to break the kitten.

AAA I LOVE HIM HE IS SO CUTE, he's home with us right now in our cleared-out walk-in closet! Playing with springs and a kitten-sized mousey toy.

Post subject: Re: My cat has a new kitten brother...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So cute! Lucky kitty!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:54 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

awwwww! what a little cutie face! those ears! the black spots! ahhhh!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:07 pm 

EEEeee, I know! He's asleep on some pillows right now, hiding amongst my dresses. Big day for Momo.

I was so pleased with how smoothly the adoption process went. Our application was approved quickly, and the contract/adoption process was so thorough and great. They had paper documentation of his vaccinations, microchip ID and tag (which I need to register, but the fact that they even explained this to me was lightyears ahead of the organization we adopted Mido from), and we've scheduled a neutering appointment in October for him. All of this was included in the adoption fee, which was remarkable. I actually SIGNED A PAPER saying he is ours, assuming we care for him properly (we were just handed Mido - no paperwork). The organization was just so... organized! I was very impressed. And I will probably donate items to them through their Amazon wish list for Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Awww, he is precious!
alice1drland wrote:
I was so pleased with how smoothly the adoption process went. Our application was approved quickly, and the contract/adoption process was so thorough and great. They had paper documentation of his vaccinations, microchip ID and tag (which I need to register, but the fact that they even explained this to me was lightyears ahead of the organization we adopted Mido from), and we've scheduled a neutering appointment in October for him. All of this was included in the adoption fee, which was remarkable. I actually SIGNED A PAPER saying he is ours, assuming we care for him properly (we were just handed Mido - no paperwork). The organization was just so... organized! I was very impressed. And I will probably donate items to them through their Amazon wish list for Christmas.

This all should be standard. It makes me sad that there are still rescues out there that just hand animals to people.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 pm 

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Awww, he is precious!
alice1drland wrote:

This all should be standard. It makes me sad that there are still rescues out there that just hand animals to people.

Dude, I know. Seriously. At the other organization, we filled out an application and they called references, but not only did we NOT sign some kind of adoption contract, they totally lost all her vaccination records (I asked several times for them to track the info down and was answered with essentially a shrug). We were just to assume they'd vaccinated her for rabies and distemper, but we had no way of knowing. It's sad because this unorganized shelter I think means really, really well, but they're just severely understaffed with way too many cats. Our experience at this other shelter was above and beyond, even though this type of practice is supposed to be standard.

I will say as a separate story, does NOBODY explain to people how microchips work? I honestly only learned a month ago when we took Mido in for her annual check-up and vaccinations. We had her microchipped when we adopted her in 2010, but all that happened was, "SHE HAS A MICROCHIP NOW YAY YOU PAY US FOR IT GOOD BYE HAVE FUN WITH THE CAT," and no explanation of how the system works whatsoever. I don't get how it's so forking hard to explain to people that you have to REGISTER your number with the microchip company. The vet does not have any your microchip registration information (address and all the important stuff) other than the number when the animal is scanned! I found this out when we moved to Brooklyn from Manhattan, and I thought I had to tell the vet. Then they claimed they couldn't find the microchip. Then they found the microchip and finally, in 2012, I found out how the god damn microchip that had been in my cat for 2 years worked. What in the hell. AND I just had a conversation with a coworker about this, and SHE didn't know that's how microchips work. Her dog is microchipped. Good christ. This all makes me think there are a bunch of microchipped animals out there who can't go back home because nobody knows where 'home' is. Because they aren't registered.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:18 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So cute!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 am 
WELFARIST!

Momo's adorbs! Congratulations and lucky kitty!

Yes, keep the microchip company phone number (I keep a health file on my kitties and have the microchip company telephone number among my kitty's paper work) and call then whenever you move so your address and contact info is up to date in their database. I got no explanation about it, either, when I adopted Thurston but I did get a piece of paper with the number on it and my kitty's microchip ID number on it (I think that's there somewhere) and just called the place when I moved to register my new address.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:49 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

SO stinkin cute! I love his sweet face!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:12 pm 
Kale Wreath

sooo cute and little!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Eeee! Tiny! <3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love him!!!!!

And yeah, I know what you mean about some organizations meaning well but not being organized. I volunteer with two cat rescues here and one is super awesome and a well-oiled cat rescue machine, the other...not so much.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

alice1drland wrote:
I will say as a separate story, does NOBODY explain to people how microchips work?

I don't think anyone does! We get in so many stray animals who are microchipped but the chips aren't registered. And if we manage to find the animals' people, they always say "Oh, I didn't know I had to register!" I really don't get why shelters/rescues/vets/clinics aren't telling people that they have to actually register their contact info with the microchip company or the chip is useless! Our vet now doesn't do chipping, but when we used to have it done, we would have the animals registered to the shelter (so they would at least be registered somewhere) and then when they were adopted, we would give the adopters the forms to fill out to have the chip transferred to them. It takes like 5 minutes to go over an adoption contract with someone and explain everything. I don't think shelters should explain their shittiness away by saying they are understaffed. Every shelter I've ever been to has been understaffed and underfunded. It takes only a little more time and effort to do things the right way, and I think it probably saves time and effort in the long run. You do applications before adoption, work to match the right animal with the right family, and provide follow-up support after adoption, and your return rate will drop dramatically. Which means fewer animals in the shelter using up funds and staff time. And then everyone is happy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:28 pm 

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
I will say as a separate story, does NOBODY explain to people how microchips work?

I don't think anyone does! We get in so many stray animals who are microchipped but the chips aren't registered. And if we manage to find the animals' people, they always say "Oh, I didn't know I had to register!" I really don't get why shelters/rescues/vets/clinics aren't telling people that they have to actually register their contact info with the microchip company or the chip is useless! Our vet now doesn't do chipping, but when we used to have it done, we would have the animals registered to the shelter (so they would at least be registered somewhere) and then when they were adopted, we would give the adopters the forms to fill out to have the chip transferred to them. It takes like 5 minutes to go over an adoption contract with someone and explain everything. I don't think shelters should explain their shittiness away by saying they are understaffed. Every shelter I've ever been to has been understaffed and underfunded. It takes only a little more time and effort to do things the right way, and I think it probably saves time and effort in the long run. You do applications before adoption, work to match the right animal with the right family, and provide follow-up support after adoption, and your return rate will drop dramatically. Which means fewer animals in the shelter using up funds and staff time. And then everyone is happy!

I totally agree. I obviously didn't excuse the shelter we adopted Mido from, because they received several sternly-worded emails from me as we repeatedly ran into problems down the line caused by their inefficiency. Like you said, it only takes 5 minutes! I would've done this two years ago had I known. Fortunately I know now, and both my cats are registered with their respective microchip companies.

And on a happier note, someone was a little snugglebug (snugglecow?) this afternoon:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm glad I came back to this thread. Snugglecow!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aw, look at his big fuzzy ears!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

This thread totally reminded me to register Olive's microchip! Pretty sure it's registered as the shelter now, so she would find her way back to me theoretically, but I totally forgot and the adoption counselor didn't remind me at all!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Snugglecow!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

So adorable - Love the ears!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:07 am 

So adorable! I love the gangly legs!

More pictures!?

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 pm 

They're in looooove! Momo is Mido's babyyyyy!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

eeeee!!! so cute!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Squuueeeeeee! Adorbz!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:44 am 

Another photo!

Momo was a big fan of his hammock in his cage at the shelter, so we thought it would be a good idea to get one for his new home, too. He still lovies it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:51 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

alice1drland wrote:

OMG, where did you get this? I would really like to have one of these!

My tumblr