| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Awesome Pet Names
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:16 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I know Meatball is a popular (and very apt, IMHO) name for English bulldogs, but I would take it one step further and name an English bulldog Hoagie. With his brother Grinder.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:29 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Lately Tristan has been Toosh and Tush.
Gershwin has been Gunsch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My future BIL and SIL let their 6 and 8 year olds name their second dog: Taco Supreme. It's pretty great.

Our temp/foster dog who just went back to his human last week was Walnut, which was pretty appropriate for him.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:29 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I have a 180lb South African Mastiff called "Kitty" :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My canaries, Bedelia and Bambino

My finches, Scully and Mulder

My Chihuahua mutt love, who is technically named Lily Belle but prefers to be called Chicken

Also don't forget to check your moles nightly to make sure they aren't devil's teats. - Erika Soyf*cker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:32 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Love all of these!

My cat is called Smirnoff. I thought it was hilarious when I named her as a drunk 17 year old, I had clearly been on the vodka that night, but now I'm 32 and get really odd looks when they call her name in the waiting room at the vets.

I also have a rabbit called Binky. Pretty standard name for a rabbit, although I've actually never seen her do a binky in the three years I've had her!

People always seemed to be amused by my rats names, who are sadly no longer with me:

Aubrey
Billy
Harry
Zeke
Reuben
Finn
Flip
Wyatt
Alfie
Orson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

our cat is named Behemoth (from The Master and Margarita)

the name of our dog is Izzy ... from Queen Isabella ... (rather unpleasant, interesting historic figure here in England) ... she belonged to an acquaintance of ours who recently died.

she is quite young (3) so goes racketing about the place while our dignified cat watches (when not sleeping) from a perch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Depending on who you ask (me or my ex) Wallace (shown left) was named after William Wallace (him) or Wallace and Gromit (me). We nearly got his brother at the same time, and he would definitely have been named Gromit.
Wallace is also known (to me) as Pupmeister Grandbanks, Tiny Dancer, or Love Of My Life.

ETA Some people insist on calling him Wally. That REALLY chaps my asparagus. Its Wallace, dagnabbit!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:52 am 
BAD PASS

I fell in love with a pittie at the shelter yesterday named Dove. I think dogs kinda need a two syllable name, so I'm trying to figure out (IF I ADOPTED HER! I WANT TO ADOPT HER O MY GOD!) if I'd just call her Dovey, or if, since the shelter just gives them random names I could just give her a new one. She's five years old. I'm very strongly considering checking out the possibility of fostering her to see how it goes with Mavis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hollie wrote:
I fell in love with a pittie at the shelter yesterday named Dove. I think dogs kinda need a two syllable name, so I'm trying to figure out (IF I ADOPTED HER! I WANT TO ADOPT HER O MY GOD!) if I'd just call her Dovey, or if, since the shelter just gives them random names I could just give her a new one. She's five years old. I'm very strongly considering checking out the possibility of fostering her to see how it goes with Mavis.

Changing names is pretty common! My MIL got her cat from the shelter, she was about 2 years old at the time (the cat, not the MIL). Her old name was Sharon, which really didn't seem to fit. She's now called Empress, which definitely fits (semi-exotic shorthair who thinks she runs the world).

My grandmother's cats since her children moved out have all had very descriptive names.

There were:

Girly (who was a girl)
Tummy (who had a big tummy)
Cyprus cat (fancy word for Tabby Cat)
Black Cat (yes, his name was on the vet records as "black cat")
and finally Blackie (guess what colour the last two were...)

She's considering getting a cat again since Blackie died, we're all eagerly awaiting a name choice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:13 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hollie wrote:

If it is not the name she came in with and she has no real connection to it, I would just go ahead and change the name. If you want to keep it similar because she has some connection to it, Dovey would be cute but anything with a similar sound would be ok to, like Nova or Sofie. (Anything with soft sounds surrounding an ov/of/oph)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:38 am 
BAD PASS

If she stays around the shelter long enough for me to get my shiitake together, I'm strongly considering adopting her.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 am 
Total Hoover

Hollie wrote:
If she stays around the shelter long enough for me to get my shiitake together, I'm strongly considering adopting her.

Oh! Good luck getting things together! That would be so great. I suppose it would also be good if she was adopted to a caring home quickly, but I want chicken updates.

(It has my lifelong dream to have pet chickens. Need to keep working on getting a better-paying job so I can afford a garden for them.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:12 am 
BAD PASS

This one I'm considering adopting is a pittie named Dove. I think the chicken is RaspberryComplaint's future love. hee hee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 am 
Total Hoover

Hollie wrote:
This one I'm considering adopting is a pittie named Dove. I think the chicken is RaspberryComplaint's future love. hee hee.

Oops. Sorry. Dogs are also awesome! I hope it goes well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:55 am 
BAD PASS

Aw, well, Dove got adopted last Friday (which is great for Dove! Yay Dove!)...

But I am going to start volunteering there more, and I'm going Thursday to help socialize the shyer dogs. Maybe I'll meet Mavis's future sibling there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 pm 
Total Hoover

That's good. More dog contact time and yes, I hope it will make it easy for you to spot a really good match for you and Mavis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5