| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: apparently i haVe a turkey
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I was up at a seminar in Dedham (?) at Noble and Greenough a few years ago and driving through Dedham we must have seen 3 different gaggles of turkeys. They were EVERYWHERE, in the streets and yards (not in the more "wild" parts like on the school campus, but in high-traffic areas). It was so awesome.
Turkeys move around a lot, so I think you can entice them to visit but can't expect them to stay. Keeping the area dog/cat free probably helps (although a cat would have to be pretty ballsy to go after a turkey).
Where my mom lives in NJ there are turkeys everywhere, and the first time I brought Mr T to see where they live, we were in a really rural area and he was sort of freaking out (city boy his whole life) and then a turkey FLEW across the road and I think that's the only time I ever saw him absolutely gobsmacked.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:28 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

OMG baby turkey is so cute!!
i wonder if his mama got hit by a car if he was found in the road :-(

Henrietta has come back to our property several times.
after a few weeks of not seeing her she just reappeared one day by the bird feeder strutting her shiitake around.

we're pretty sure she is a big ol turkey slut and visits ALL the bird feeders in the neighborhood. hurrumph!

i actually saw her this morning after not seeing her for days when i was driving away but she was over by my veggie garden!!! ive heard you dont want turkeys near your veggie garden cause they can basically destroy it.

hmmm.......

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think they're like chickens- they scratch, and can pull out your tender seedlings.

i have two broken ribs due to turkeys-- when i worked at the racehorse farm my job was to run the horses on the track every day, and i would ride one and pull two or three behind me (depending on how stupid i was that day). One day the local turkeys decided to all emerge from the woods onto the track en masse right in front of the horses, who immediately went forking batshit, and i got thrown.... then had to run the mile back to the barn to make sure they went back to their stalls instead of out into the street. found out a month later (for my college physical, that required an xray) that i had broken the bones.... but i forgive the cute little turkles!

i love henrietta!!