| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wolfdogs & BSL
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So in the discussion of BSL (breed specific legislation) pitbulls tend to get the majority of the attention from both sides. So Ive got a question for the militantly anti-BSL folks (if there be any here), otherwise its still an interesting point to consider, "What about BSL that targets Wolfdogs?" My impression is that most vegans Ive met are against creating and keeping wolfdogs, not to mention that from limited reports they appear to be a higher risk breed. legislate, yay or nay. is it relevant to the overall BSL issue or irrelevant

Post subject: Re: Wolfdogs & BSL
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I think any BSL has the same problems.

1. You are targeting dogs that haven't done anything by virtue of their breed. There are enough dangerous dog ordinances that any dog that is actually dangerous - regardless of breed - can be dealt with. I don't see a reason to preemptively assume that certain dogs are more dangerous than others when the individual dog hasn't done anything wrong.

2. It is very hard to tell breeds, esp with mixes. I've seen wolf-dogs that look like huskies. And so enforcement comes down (like in the situation of Lennox in Ireland) to what a police officer thinks may be a wolf dog or a pitbull even if that dog is actually a husky or GSD mix or a lab mix etc. And once that presumption is made, its really hard to rebut. DNA tests that I have seen, don't test for certain "risk breeds" including Am-Staff. My MIL has a dog that looks like she is all pittie, but her DNA test said she is a golden retriever mix.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:30 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know if asking for 'militant' people to respond is your best way to get an answer...

I don't see a point in BSL. All dogs can be dangerous, especially large ones and ones with strong jaws, if they are trained to be that way.

Wolves aren't domesticated animals and have instincts of the wild, it makes no sense to have a wolf mix. It also makes no sense to have wild cats or wild cat mixes.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:
I don't know if asking for 'militant' people to respond is your best way to get an answer...

well i was mainly asking folks who in the case of pitbulls are against any form of BSL, I figured asking people who didnt care much either way would just result in, "yeah I guess its fine to legislate"...not much fun

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:55 pm 
WRETCHED

With wolfdogs, don't you normally need a permit to even have them?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The big issue with wolf-dog crosses is when you breed them. If a wolf-dog breeds with another wolf-dog those puppies can run the full spectrum from full wolf to full dog and everything in between.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

linanil wrote:
With wolfdogs, don't you normally need a permit to even have them?

I think that differs location to location, though this can be considered a form of BSL in regards to wolf-dogs. Some areas they are outright illegal if I recall from my research correctly.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:11 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I cared for a wolf cross who belonged to my ex. Linus was fine with us and horrid to everyone else. He bit, was virtually untrainable by pros, including the forerunners of the "whisperer" movement.

The former girlfriend of my ex stole Linus one night. Last report said the state of Ohio ordered him put down for biting.

Linus was also dumb as a rock. His sister was frighteningly brilliant, but she got all the brains. She was half his size, too.

I really like those animals, but I disagree with breeding wolves with domestic canines.
The crosses seem confused about who and what they are.
Of Linus' litter, only one has not been put down. There were seven pups.
The mothers owner is still breeding pups with a daughter wolf cross.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

All of the wolfdogs I've known have been great. But they have to be trained, like any other dog. I disagree with BSL in general, including wolfdogs.

I think they are illegal in some places. The vets always list them as husky mix or german shephard mix or something depending on how they look. None of them that I've known has ever had one bite a person or have any problems with the law. Of course, we can all give an example of when X dog bit someone... dogs of all breeds are capable of biting.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

we've primarily bred the fearfulness out of dogs over millennia. it makes no sense to go backwards, introducing the fearfulness back into the gene pool intentionally. who had this "bright idea"?