| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: People with pit bulls support thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:55 am 
Chip Strong

The world can be a hostile place to our beloved pittie friends, and it can really get me down sometimes. Does anyone else have a hard time with negative reactions (from strangers to family), issues with housing or traveling, or anything else you'd like to talk about?

Currently I'm extremely stressed out about my housing situation because my neighbor has suddenly decided that she's afraid of my sweet older dogs, and she's called my landlord to try to convince him to have us evicted. I'm nine months pregnant and the thought of having to move is so stressful that I can't sleep. Our lease allows for our two dogs and this neighbor is not claiming that our dogs have ever done a thing to her, but our landlord could decide to be a jerk and try to kick us out if he feels like it. The neighbor says she was watching the news and saw that an old woman was attacked by a pit bull, and now she is afraid for her mother, who sometimes gardens in her backyard (which is separated from ours by a 6 foot fence). We also like to garden and spend time in our yard, and this neighbor feels that our dogs "look" at her mother. Last night she called the police to get a report on file that documents that our dogs "look" at her mother (seriously), and she believes they are plotting to "mangle" her. We ran into the police as we were on our way out to walk our dogs, which was great because the police saw for themselves how friendly and mellow they are and they seemed to be aware that the neighbor's complaint is ridiculous. People's bias and fear is just so strong when it comes to pit bulls that now I feel like we have to live in fear that this woman will make up some completely false story and it will be her word against ours, and she keeps making sure to emphasize that her feelings on this are most important because she owns her house and we are lowly renters. UGH.

Post subject: Re: People with pit bulls support thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

That's horrible mooo! Maybe your landlord can put in a good word that since he owns the property he gets to decide who and what can live there, not the neighbor. She's correct that she owns her house, but she doesn't own the neighborhood! At least the police sound like they're on your side and are being reasonable about this.

We unknowingly moved into a county that bans pitbulls (and has for roughly 20 years now) this winter, fortunately we hadn't adopted one yet or we would have learned the hard way after moving but a pitbull mix was on our short list of rescue dogs to adopt down the road and obviously that plan has been put on hold as we work to get the law repealed.

The optimist in me sees the changes in laws in places like Miami and Cincinnatti as a shift in public opinion of the dogs and I hope it lasts.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:48 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh mooo, that sucks! what a bigoted woman! i hope your landlord stays true. <3
(but for your puppies' sake, i think you should look for another place to live. what if she throws food over the fence with poison in it?) :-(

the worst we get is people crossing the street, but i don't let it get me down. most people around here are cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what an ignorant kumquat.
im so sorry you are going through this. im sure being 9 months pregnant is stressful enough as it is now you have the wicked witch next door.
that is so unfair.
our friends have two pitbulls (one mix and one who we think might be purebred) and they are the sweetest dogs ever. they also have a son who i think is almost 4 and they got the first pittie when he was like 2ish.
these dogs are so sweet and so good wtih him. the only "danger" they possess around him is they are big dogs and when they get excited and wiggly they might knock him down by accident. that is IT.
the fact of the matter is that you cant get in legal trouble unless a document incident happens so in that sense i think you are good but she is totally free to be a huge pain in the asparagus and stress you out and that sucks.
are you friendly with your landlord at all?
maybe you could invite him over and say "im really stressed that that bisque next door keeps complaining about my dogs, can you please come meet them and see they pose no threat to anyone"

its great that the police met them and saw they are sweet pups.

i agree wtih supercarrot that you should just watch your dogs because people are sick and sadistic. i wouldnt leave them outside alone. also if they are outside alone she could make up some b.s. story and if no one was there to see it you cant call it a lie :-(

ugh. people are so dumb. im so sorry you are dealing wtih this. it's so wrong that such sweet puppies get such a bad rap. :-/

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:49 pm 
Semen Strong

Hugs to you, moooo. I am so sorry your neighbors are so scared of your pitties and not open to any sort of reason. Definitely document her actions and keep an eye on your pups.

It is so frustrating that pits have such a bad rap. People generally cross the street when they see Mr. Cuddles. Last week, I was out for my morning walk with my dog and my 6 month old, and a guy started screaming that he was going to call the police because of my dangerous pitbull. He continued to freak out and scream, and then walked away. The police never came, but it really screwed up my morning. This is a dog who has infinite patience and lets cats and small children climb up on him.

But there is good news too!
Cincinnati just repealed their pit bull ban! http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog ... ealed.html

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

Emerging from the ether to post in this thread. I love pitbulls. I mean, I love all dogs. But I have met so many sweet, loving, hilarious pitbull-type dogs. Something about their faces melts me too. I am at a point where I feel pretty ready to adopt a dog, and I would love for it it be a pittie. However, I have some serious reservations due to all the negative feedback (from otherwise-open minded people) I've been getting at the mention. On one hand, I'm not sure I have a thick enough skin to handle the inevitable comments/glares/etc. On the other, I would love a pitbull companion... maybe she and I could even win a few hearts. I'm just not sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

do it! kill them with kindness. <3