| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kids and Dogs and Cars (Oh My)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 pm 
Semen Strong

We have a tiny car - a Toyota Corolla - and I've been trying to find a way to transport the dog, the baby, the 6'4" husband and myself in a way that doesn't put the dog and the baby alone in the back seat. Its become reminiscent of that problem of the man in the row boat with the goat, head of cabbage and the wolf.

The problem is that Cuddles gets very excited when it comes time to get out of the car so he tries to run across or jump over the car seat, which is a very not good thing. So we've been taking the baby in the back seat and the dog in the front, which is a bit perilous for the dog, and has other drivers do double-takes when they see a very large pitbull riding shotgun.

So I got this!

Anyone have any other ideas for managing rambunctious dog and tiny baby in a compact car?

Post subject: Re: Kids and Dogs and Cars (Oh My)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We have that too. It definitely keeps Toby from being all over the place, but they can still move pretty far with it on. I guess that's not actually advice, just a little something to think about.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Do the back seats have adjustable head rests? If they do, you could probably rig something like this up to section off the back seat: http://www.petco.com/product/115440/Sol ... 1b2166c2c0 . You could attach one side of it to one of the front seat head rests and the other side to one of the back seat head rests. It wouldn't be perfect, and you'd need to use the harness too, but maybe that would help keep your dog from getting too near the car seat?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

That harness is awesome. Dogs need seat belts too!

I dont mean to be all debbie-downer but I have had friends that have been in minor car accidents with dogs in the car, and the dogs have ended up being seriously hurt or dead.

A couple of weeks ago some lady rear ended me...she was busy eating and feeding her dogs KFC when she hit me (soooo many things wrong with that sentence!). anyway, her dogs were ok, but both flew into the front seat in this very minor accident. There wasnt even any damage to either car, but the dogs did fly forward.

To be honest, i was more worried about the dogs than either of the cars, or the stupid KFC lady.

So yeah....that harness is awesomsauce.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:18 pm 
Naked Under Apron

what brand is this tofulish? please let us know how it works. i know we should have one for vee, since we ride with him a lot.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If his main problem is trying to charge out of the car, then working on the command "wait" would be helpful. Sable is trained not to jump out of the car until the leash is attached to her collar and I say "okay".

I am also a big proponent of buckling dogs in. I know the last animal control officer at my work had to go and remove the body of a beautiful golden retriever from a car accident. The car crashed and the dog flew forward and smashed through the windshield, which killed him. There have also been dogs who escaped from cars after accidents and run away. So buckling them up is a really good thing! My last dog was a really active, wiggly dog, so when I got her a seat belt harness, I got her used to it by sitting in the backseat with her and encouraging her to sit or lie down quietly. At first she kept getting herself all tangled in the seat belt, but with encouragement, she eventually learned to sit down and not move around. So maybe do a trial run without baby if you can, and try to teach Cuddles to lie down or sit and not struggle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 pm 
Semen Strong

That is great advice. I am going to ask my husband to do that before we attempt it with the baby. And kittee, I'll definitely let you know how it is. It was pretty reasonable (about $15) and seems very well made.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

No help but this is exactly when getting a new car I decided on a CRV. I could get a gate and keep the dogs in the trunk and the babe in the back seat alone. My dogs get excited in the car and I didn't want them getting rambunctious around the baby wolverine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 pm 
Semen Strong

I love the Solvit! http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-62296-Vehi ... 481&sr=8-1

Creep, we were able to set it so Cuddles can't move much - you just pull out the seatbelt. Cuddles also now gets the "wait" command so its made managing everyone much easier. I am so happy we got this. I would love a new car, but we can't really afford that at the moment, with me not working. Maybe down the road. I've heard great things about the CRV!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

tank wrote:
No help but this is exactly when getting a new car I decided on a CRV. I could get a gate and keep the dogs in the trunk and the babe in the back seat alone. My dogs get excited in the car and I didn't want them getting rambunctious around the baby wolverine.

We got a Prius V, which works well for the dogs + baby + us, but is a little tricky to pack when traveling with luggage. We figured it out though. but couldn't bring along our stroller.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

[quote="Tofulish"]I love the Solvit! http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-62296-Vehi ... 481&sr=8-1

[quote]

I am wondering how well that would work for our dogs. They are a little crazy. It looks cool though.