| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal hair everywhere
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:58 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

"No outfit is complete without fur" ie. shedding animal hair on everything.

Do you have any tips for controlling or eliminating animal hair from your stuff? Is there a better way to get all the animal hair off clothes and blankets besides the dryer? I would really love to air dry my clothes and blankets, but I've found only running the items through the dryer gets a lot more of the animal hair off. Just hanging the blankets out to dry, even on a windy day, really doesn't eliminate any of the fur.

Or do you only use a certain type of blankets, one that doesn't hold as much hair?

Post subject: Re: Animal hair everywhere
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I buy lint rollers in bulk at Costco, and I try not to wear fleece very much.

I hope someone else has some better answers, because I want to know, too!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:03 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I found grooming regularly with a furminator was the best thing. I always ended up tumble drying my bedclothes though.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:20 pm 

fezza wrote:
I found grooming regularly with a furminator was the best thing. I always ended up tumble drying my bedclothes though.

Yeah, I do the furminator on my pup as often as I can, but my cat doesn't stand for it.

Sounds like going through the dryer is the best option.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i second the furminator but honestly i think we just have to live with it.

we have 5 pets and there is fur EVERYWHERE and i am super anal about cleaning.

right now my grayish carpet is basically black from my two dogs :-/

get a good pet fur vacuum cleaner. i think we have a dyson one. it was worth the extra $$ a good vacuum costs. it does great on the carpet and also we can vacuum our couch with it.

our couch is microfiber so the fur just sticks to it.
the dogs are not allowed on the furniture but our hound mix jumps all over the couch when we're not home and makes a nest in the pillows. he is so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I put my clothes in the dryer with tennis balls, that seems to maximize the fur removal!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:48 pm 
protein lump

hair just falls off belle. it's the worst.

so far, what's working for me is to take one room a day (i have a pretty big apartment and rather than try to clean everything at once and overwhelm myself, i break it out into one room at a time) and dust, vacuum, and mop. in addition to general tidying.

her bed gets washed every couple of weeks and she gets a bath every 2 weeks and furminated at least once or twice a week.

i second having a really good vacuum. i have a dyson animal and it was worth every penny. i've had it for 7 or 8 years now and i've never had any problems with it whatsoever.

i'm hoping that eventually the food i'm feeding her will help her coat and skin and shedding a bit. i've only had her for about 6 weeks. one of my cats was switched from a crummy food to good food and her coat went from being super sheddy to being not very sheddy at all. i forget how long it took, but i'm hoping the same thing happens to the dog.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:54 pm 

NicolePSU wrote:
I put my clothes in the dryer with tennis balls, that seems to maximize the fur removal!

Tennis balls? Does that help "bump off" the hair from the items?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:30 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Everyone asks me when they eat here "This tastes so good - is it because of the cat hair"?
I have thrown out all fleece.
I never heard of a furminator. I need to check it out.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

In addition to making sure everyone gets a bath when shedding season starts and regular brushings, the top cover on our bed is this super thin one that's easy to wash, in the winter I put the heavier things underneath so I can just pull off the top layer and the sheets and not have to wash what would amount to three or four loads of covers in the winter, every few weeks. Provided Gozer doesn't vomit on the bed, of course.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

With 2 dogs who shed constantly, I've just decided to find the fur everywhere charming. It reminds me they are alive and well and fuzzing up the joint.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah honestly I just resolved myself several years ago to leading an existence covered in dog fur. Dobby sheds like a maniac; I've had friends who haven't been over to my house in months say that they've found her hair on clothing that they never even wore around her. I try minimize the damage by keeping a lint roller and changing out of nice clothes (read: anything other than t-shirts and sweats) before I lounge around on the couch. I second (or third) the recommendation for a vacuum designed specifically for pet hair; ours has an attachment that vacuums the couch beautifully. And since Dobby's fur is white, we try to buy some things in white or cream, like our bedspread and the rug in the living room, so that her hair is less noticeable on them.

I always smile to myself when I'm in line at the grocery store or whatever and the person in front of me has pet hair on their clothes. It instantly endears me to them. One of us! One of us!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There is cat fuzz all over the house. But we have hard wood floors so that really helps. The fuzz just seems to collect in the corners making it a bit easier to clean up. I'm sure we travel out of the house with cat hair on us, but it's not bad enough that anyone has noticed and it doesn't bother me so I guess it's not that bad.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Another Furminator vote. They are expensive as all get-out, but totally worth it. I can't comment on the knock-offs but maybe someone else can?

After Sven was born we were sort of neglecting dog hygiene for a while, and the tumbleweeds of dog fur all over the house were making me nuts. This sounds so obvious, but I finally brushed Signe and was astonished at what a difference it makes! I can't even imagine how clean our house would be if I brushed her daily.

I don't own fleece either. Nor do I wear black or navy. All the cool Herbivore shirts are in black, it makes me cry. :(

Also, we ripped out our carpet. There's nothing like seeing the underside of carpet where dogs have been living! So gross. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

if you want to cut down on dryer use maybe it would work to line dry and then just stick stuff in the dryer for a few minutes, instead of a whole cycle? (that sounds like a pain to me but also i am ok with/used to being covered in cat hair.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

You can get a furminator for cheap on ebay! I have one and it's pretty cool but I forget to use it now because my pet-related tasks have multiplied several times over lately and grooming has fallen by the wayside.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have a Furminator for my golden, but I'm too lazy to use it as often as I should. I've considered having a custom spandex outfit made for him, but instead have resolved to live with tumbleweed-sized clumps up hair along the perimeter of each room. It adds charm. When I feel ambitious enough to pick up the Furminator, I find it works the best when his hair is damp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:59 pm 

I can handle everything else except the breathing in of hair when I'm sleeping. I just can't get it off the blankets. But if I had to choose between my fur babies and the mouth free of hair, I don't even need to think twice.

Now maybe if I buy cheap sheets and create duvets... ?