| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan cats?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

I did a search on this but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Long story short- I'm looking for an affordable place to live and I found a housemate needed posting on Vegans Rock Austin. Mostly vegan kitchen, cheap rent, sounds promising except they say vegan or vegetarian pets only. I'm planning on adopting a cat soon after moving and I'm leaning towards an adult cat rather than a kitten so I'm very hesitant about a vegan cat diet just for the sake of roommate preference! This will probably be a deal breaker for me even contacting the people but I want to learn more about a vegan diet for cats before I rule it out.

I get the feeling that most PPKers do not feed their cats vegan diets and I've heard that in general a vegan diet is easier for dogs than cats. For those with cats, what are your experiences on this? I'd love to hear from anyone with a vegan cat or who tried to switch to a vegan diet without success or who has researched it decided it wasn't right for their cat. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Vegan cats?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I believe that cats are obligate carnivores, and that if I asked my cat her preference she would not no never be vegan. So she gets the best food I can buy for her and it's not vegan. I have seen people say that a vegan diet is possible for females, but for males it's a bad idea. There are some past threads on this if you run a search.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:35 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'd probably call them anyway. It's not easy to find a vegan roommate and they might be willing to be flexible on the cat thing.
I definitely wouldn't try to make a cat switch to a vegan diet just for a roommate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:04 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

yeah, i'd contact them anyway and if it's an issue, let them know that you've read what research you can find and it doesn't seem like a good idea for cats to be vegan. i have given my dog all sorts of store-bought and homemade vegan food and he's fine with it, but dogs are omnivores like people and cats are not, so it's not the same thing. also, some cats will/can only eat wet food and some cats will only eat dry food. i don't find dry cat food to be any grosser than vegan dog kibble, so maybe the roommates would be ok with a dry food eating cat. wet food (or feeding meat scraps) to a cat might be more gross to them- i'm still kind of grossed out by it even though i've been feeding 140 cats wet food for the last year.