| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for animal shelter/rescue type people
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

Short story: I want to give my local shelter some Cash Money, I just want to know what a good amount is.

Long story:

So I was driving to work this morning and right around the corner from my work on the side of the road was a birdcage. Next to the cage was a kitten. (first thought: "KITTEN! :-D" second thought: AHHH CARS + KITTEN :-O)

There was nowhere to pull over at that moment, so I dumped my stuff at work, grabbed a "cat person" co-worker, and went back.

We caught 6 kittens! Co-worker says they are probably ~8 weeks old. They are grody and smelly and have super gross eye infections, but otherwise okay.

We took them to our nearby shelter (couldn't the original dumper have done? It was literally about 2 blocks away. But I don't want to digress because I'll just get super mad again). They are safe & getting medical care, and once they're no longer oozing and smelly will be super cute and I'm sure get nice homes.

My question is, what does it typically cost, ballpark, to care for a kitten like this in a shelter situation? Assume, like, spay/neuter, shots, deworming, and medicine for the ookey eyes?

I have been saving and saving and saving and SAVING money to get a dog for like 6 years, but I can't get one until I buy a house and move, which will take some time. I'm happy to donate a chunk of my Puppy Savings Fund to the Smelly Kitten Recovery Program.

They have a "cat surrender" fee of $50, which they didn't even ask me for, but doesn't it cost them more than that to take care of them? Would $100 per kitten be reasonable? (I have the money and am trying to be generous, I just want to know if I'm coming anywhere close to their expenses. I don't have $1000 per kitten, but I do have some flexibility.)

Also, if it would be weird to be like "here is $600", they have an amazon wish list so I can give them some direct monies and also buy them stuff that they need.

Thanks for any insight, I do not know what I am doing. Good at finding kittens! Suck at rescuing them! Coworker had to teach me how to pick them up. Ahh! Kitten! It hissed!! RUN! Hahahaha.

Oh, yeah: photo of smelly kittens!

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

Post subject: Re: Question for animal shelter/rescue type people
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i would be inclined to buy them stuff they need.

when i worked for the richmond spca i knew that not all the donations went directly to the animals. i understand that some of it went to costs to run the facility, but i do not doubt that some of it went to salaries (my guess), perhaps. which isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong - it's just that some people working there drove expensive cars and made a lot of money, considering the organization was non-profit. at the time i was making $6ish/hour as a "medical technician" making about $9,000/year (i didn't have a degree as a medical technician, but they were desperate at the time and i was trained to start IVs, sub-q fluids, draw blood, run tests, assist with spays and neuters, etc., assist with euthanasia, etc.).

here's my guestimated cost breakdown:

- $10.00/day to fed and shelter a kitten (maybe even $5.00/day). kittens don't take up as much space (you can fit a lot of kittehs in one cage than you can adult cats) and don't eat as much either. (i've read it's about $20.00/day to feed and house an adult cat in a shelter)
- $30.00 per spay/neuter
- $70.00 for 1st round of shots & 2-3 deworming (FVRCC (Distemper), FeLV (Leukemia), FIV/ FeLV Test, dewormers, fecal tests, etc.)
- $15.00 for eye meds (it's pretty cheap, at least it was when i worked there) - and you can probably count on 2 tubes of the eye meds for all the stinky kittehs.

that's my two cents. however, keep in mind that i worked at the spca back in 99-03, so it could cost a lot more these days. also, the shelters probably get a discount/supplies at cost from suppliers. oh, and if it's a county run facility they might get some funding each year.

you are awesome to rescue those stinky kittens - they are so adorable and i hope they all find awesome, loving homes!

edited to add: another awesome way to help out is to become a foster parent, if you can. i know you said you're not adopting a dog until you have a house, but you could always foster care for adult cats and other kittens and that would be a huge help. most shelters give you the medicine, food, supplies, etc. - you just put in the time to give snuggles, medicate the animals, and make sure they get healthy.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the insight, that's good to know.

If it matters, this is a local small-ish humane society, not an SPCA. Apparently the city contracted with this shelter after the county SPCA was deemed "unsatisfactory." So I think they get city funding, but not county.

A friend once told me if you make a "directed donation" to a non-profit, they are legally obligated to use it for what you specified it for, but I also know that means headache and paperwork for the people who work there, and I don't want that either.

Maybe I will give them the "cat surrender fees", and the rest in bought supplies. I know this particular shelter has like something-teen dogs usually (15-20 at any given time), and like 900 million billion cats, so I'll buy more off the "cat" part of the list.

My workplace holds a holiday supply drive for the shelter, maybe I will see if some coworkers want to help coordinate a "kitten season" supply drive.

ETA: Oh I do so wish... I can't foster as I'm deathly allergic to cats, and not allowed dogs in my apartment by terms of my lease. My coworker fell in love with an Old Man Cat while we were there though; she's probably gonna foster him & see if her current kitty can adjust so she can adopt him. :)

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:45 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I volunteered at a humane society recently and they were always in need of essential items like food, litter, cleaning supplies, etc. You can always call and ask what they need most. Ours had a monthly 'item' special that they asked people to donate supplies for on the website and in newsletters. For example, one month they asked for peanut butter for their dogs. One month it was paper towels.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks panda! I don't even need to call, they are across the street. :) They have an "always" list on their website (food, litter, paper towels, bleach), in addition to the "also need now" list on their amazon wishlist.

I think I am going to give money too anyway, because I found through some research they are trying to raise money to build a new facility (they're in a converted garage). They have a lot of cool events this summer so I'm going to try and get my coworkers and neighbors involved in the fundraising events and hopefully the supply drive.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i think your plan sounds good, Mack - i like it! you are too awesome and it makes me most happyfaced knowing there are people like you out there. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

Aw, thanks! Update!

Good news: They were super happy for the donation. AND, my friend did take home her newly beloved Old Man Cat. He is awesome. He's the friendliest, loveyest cat I've ever seen, and he's a talker. She used to have a siamese, so she loves the talky thing. They were thrilled he's going to a happy foster, hopefully eventually adoptive, home. Cross your fingers that her Current Old Lady Cat gets along with him so he can stay!!

Bad news: The smelly kittens have mega ultra manky ringworm. The staff were like, "just so you know, BOIL YOUR CLOTHES AND BLEACH YOUR ENTIRE BODY! AHHHHHHH!"

...Not really, but I still probably will. EW!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That was awesome that you rescued the kittens. I hope they can be treated for the ringworm. That stuff is nasty. Where I volunteer, they have a much lower surrender fee and it's not mandatory. I think most shelters would be happy for any donation.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

You are a truly amazing person for rescuing these kitties and furthermore for wanting to ensure their care with the shelter. I get really bummed out on a frequent basis when I read stories in my feed about animals that have been effed over by the world and this will be the happy store I come back to in my mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:58 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I have no insight, but just wanted to say you're super awesome for being a cat hero. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, no help on your questions but I'm glad people like you are around to help the needy kittens of the world. Have you considered a cape?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

Aw thanks guys. I would look funny in a cape, I think, but maybe I will get my coworker one. It was definitely a team effort, and I might have chickened out on trying to catch them all if she hadn't been there. I do not know how to pick up a kitten, hahaha.

I think they can treat the ringworm, they've had kittens with it in past kitten seasons. They didn't seem to worried about it, other than to let me know to check myself.

fatcat - they didn't make me pay the surrender fee, but I wanted to. According to happyfaced's numbers it should cover just under half of the kittens' initial care, so I look at it as the least I could do. :)

One of the things the shelter needs is a shed, so they can store nonperishable supplies & free up indoor space for the animals. It's expensive but if I can get enough coworkers to give maybe we can buy it for them collectively. That would be fun. "Hi neighbors, we got you a shed!" :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - there was a 7th kitten, but we couldn't catch him. :( At least he was the healthiest and most spry! But he probably has the ringworm, too, and may yet develop the eye infections. :( I let animal control know to be on the lookout for him. No word yet. I've been looking whenever I pass by, but on my way home tonight I'll stop & check for him. Hopefully someone picks him up!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i work at a cat shelter! i dont have anything to do with money thought, so i can't say how much it costs us for medical treatment or how much the general cost of living per cat there is. we are a pretty small-staffed facility but have about 140 cats and i know we get some amount of discount on vet care but it's still expensive as vet care tends to be. especially with kittens with health issues i would suggest earmarking a donation for medical expenses if you want to make it for something more specific. i can't imagine anyone at our shelter either thinking a voluntary donation was too little (anything at all is a help!) or too much.

just wanted to also comment on happyfaced's comment- at my particular shelter, staff starts at minimum wage, which in Chicago is $8.25 an hour. i got a 6 month raise to $9.25 an hour (unheard of! usually it's only a 50-cent-at-6-months raise!). no benefits, even when i was working 40 hours a week there, except that if you have a cat you can bring home cat food. i always feel underpaid and undervalued by the board of directors (not my direct managers though, who are lovely) and don't think it's nearly enough considering i care for 1/3 of our 140 cats on a daily basis, deep cleaning what amounts to an entire apartment (our building is a converted 3 flat apartment building), scoop between 10 and 20 litterboxes, feed and medicate lots of sick cats, clean so much poop and pee and vomit every day, etc. and our organization could clearly not continue in the capacity that it exists without several paid staff members. so while i understand wanting your donation to go directly to kitty care, i think that also includes respectful compensation to the people spending their days looking after sick and unwanted (as well as cute and healthy!) cats. which is not to say you shouldn't donate what you feel comfortable with- i obviously want cats to be taken care of, and indirectly supply and earmarked monetary donations helps defray costs so that other money coming in can be used for the things not donated, including staff salaries. BUT i think my role is just as important as the physical supplies and vet costs- and my labor costs way less than a vet's! sorry for the little rant, i just constantly struggle with making so little money and feeling that my time and labor is not valued enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

p.s. way to go spork!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:43 am 
Inflexitarian

Yay! Good job on rescuing the kitties from the road and ringworm!

I wanted to point out it's worth figuring out if they need plastic bags as well. As silly as it sounds, the shelter I volunteered at ALWAYS needs plastic bags because of dog doo-doo. Not kitty related, but important. (We somehow end up with them even after telling grocery people no plastic, so we drive back to the shelter once a month with loads of plastic bags) Which plastic bags are not a difficult thing to collect from people either. But make sure they need them.

I don't know anything about the finance side though, sorry.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 am 
WRETCHED

I've ordered directly from Amazon and sent the local shelter litter, food and cat toys. We also donate $500 or so yearly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I just wanted to second electric_claire and say that a lot of non-profits actually can get funding and donations for everything EXCEPT staffing, administrative costs, etc. I know it seems more satisfying to buy food or toys or whatever that actually goes to the cats, but without the staff and the admin stuff, those cats wouldn't be getting the care they need.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:48 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks j-dub & electric-claire! I actually work for a nonprofit also, so whenever someone mentions what percent of donations go to "overhead" it kind of sets off my rage-meter, hahaha. "Overhead" @ my work = how I pay my bills!!! I know nobody meant shelter staff shouldn't be paid decently, I just declined to comment on that specifically bc I didn't trust myself to comment on-topic (= kittens!) rather than get ranty in general. ;-)

My coworker, who used to work @ the shelter, is already planning some fun summer stuff for us to partner with the shelter & help support them! Yay! Also, so far, I do not have ringworm! Double yay!

No sign of #7 on Friday but I'm still keeping my eyes peeled...