| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions please
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 am 
Naked Under Apron

So as you know, we lost Patsy in March.

Now we are getting over the mourning period, I would dearly love to get new kittens, esp as Patsy was the much more active and kittenish of the two of them and I really miss that. But my fear is the Eddie is really too old to accept newcomers and it would stress him out. I would hate it if the last years of his life were miserable because I was selfish and got new kittens.

I was thinking that I would get two so that they could wrestle with each other but I still worry that it would be horrible for him.

What are your thoughts?

Mat.

Post subject: Re: Opinions please
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:41 am 
WELFARIST!

How old is Eddie?

I don't think I would get a new cat if my cat was over 15, say. I mean, depending on the elder cat's physical condition, disposition and tolerance for irritation and if they still have gumption to play.

It might be a good idea to get two young cats so they could play together and maybe not bug the elder cat as much, but I don't really know. I have an elderly cat (19) and a young cat (5) and their energies no longer match but they've been together long enough that it's not a problem and they can read each other and I got the young cat when the old guy was 14 so he still had it in him and they've adjusted to the older cat's waning energy in time. But again, it depends on the sitch and the cats involved and their personalities because I can think of exceptions to everything I just said. <3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 am 
Naked Under Apron

Yeah, Eddie is 15 (just) and a bit of a grumpton. I think maybe having other cats in the house might perk him up but it could go the other way.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:55 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Kittens? Probably not. Maybe a pair that's 2-3? Kittens are dumb and will probably try to play with Eddie and not take no for an answer after getting thwacked. Fatty just turned 17, and when I got her she was (briefly) the only pet, so she has dealt with a parade of cats and dogs in her life and despite being a mean, violent kitten and now a cranky but mellow old lady, she takes it all in stride. As long as the other animal learns pretty quick that she doesn't play (well, she might leap off of the couch and onto your back for the hi-larious hijinks, but she doesn't want to play WITH you), we have no problems.

The only one she absolutely cannot even look at is Genghis, those two HAAAAAAAAATE each other and hiss and growl on sight. And they've been living together for a decade! Genghis is mostly the problem though, at some point she decided that everyone but her, including her brother, could go suck and fork and now mostly lives in the basement and won't walk past any of the dogs to get upstairs, despite the fact that the dogs just do not care.

Overall, I would say it has more to do with their personality than their age. How does Eddie feel about visitors when they come over? Does he ever get to kick it with other cats or dogs?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

One option may be to try a foster cat/kitten. Most shelters will let you adopt your foster if you want, then you don't have to feel really bad if it doesn't work out since it's meant to be temporary.