| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New vegan dog food!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:11 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I knew that Ellen DeGeneres was one of the owners of the "Halo Purely for Pets" pet food company, and I wondered if they would come out with a vegan dog food. Well, looks like they did! http://www.halopets.com/vegan/

Here are the ingredients (no corn, soy, or wheat):
Quote:
Ingredients: Green Peas, Chickpeas, Pearled Barley, Oat Groats, Pea Protein, Whole Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potato, Sweet Potato, Alfalfa Meal, Carrot, Celery, Beet, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Natural Vegetable Flavors, Flaxseed Oil, Carrots, Dried Apple, Dried Blueberry, Dried Cranberry, Chicory Root, Taurine, Rosemary Extract, L-Carnitine, Potassium Chloride, DL Methionine, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D-2 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 20.0% (Min),
Crude Fat 10% (Min),
Crude Fiber 8.5% (Max), Moisture 10% (Max),
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 1.75% (Min),
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 4.25% (Min)

I'm always excited when there are new options for vegan dogs! Anyone going to try it?

Post subject: Re: New vegan dog food!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:36 pm 
Semen Strong

My dog (and my baby and the cats) all love the new formulation of V-dog, so I don't see switching, but yay for exciting new options!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm 

Yeah, options are always good! Some dogs might not do well on one food for whatever reason (Sable has eaten natural balance vegan with no problem, but I've heard about other dogs getting the pukes from it), so it's great that people who want to feed their dogs vegan have so many choices now! When I first started feeding my dog vegan, the only commercial food options were Nature's Recipe Vegetarian (which I don't think is 100% vegan), or Evolution (which had to be mail-ordered); neither one had great ingredients. Now there are multiple options! I like the new formula of V-dog too-- they seem to have made it healthier with fewer fillers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My dogs eat Nature's Recipe (and if it isn't vegan, I missed something), but i'm always willing to check out a new food provided it isn't a lot more. Harley eats so forking much, we went from buying a 40 pound bag of food 3 times a year to every other month.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 pm 

It's the vitamins that aren't vegan. It has D-3 and I think the vit A might be animal derived too. But the food-type ingredients are all vegan. (It also has onion extract, which strikes me as odd, because onions definitely shouldn't be fed to dogs. I don't know if the fact that it's an extract makes a difference?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Huh, I had never thought about it but the food does smell like onion powder. I've been feeding it to my dogs for many years, so I don't think it's a toxic amount, but that is more motivation to switch up their food.

So as you can guess, I just bought a new bag TODAY.

And googling led me to this helpful page:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... rian_vegan

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ooh, interesting! Soda ate Natural Balance for a few years but randomly started having hardcore pukes from it, so we switched her to Nature's Recipe (aka Olive Garden dumpster vomit - it smells so nasty!). Options are awesome! And I like the look of that ingredient list.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

our finicky maia is going through an "all food is poison" phase right now, so we're going to try a couple of new foods. this halo food is one that we're placing an order for now... and thanks for mentioning that v-dog had an updated formula! that used to make her SUPER pukey but we'll give it a try again if it's different now. did you guys know that loving hut makes vegan dog food? my husband uncovered that little nugget and i was kind of blown away.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
It's the vitamins that aren't vegan. It has D-3 and I think the vit A might be animal derived too. But the food-type ingredients are all vegan. (It also has onion extract, which strikes me as odd, because onions definitely shouldn't be fed to dogs. I don't know if the fact that it's an extract makes a difference?)

Seeing onions or onion powder in pet food really freaks me out and disgusts me. Onions, garlic, shallots, etc. (anything in that family) causes a type of hemolytic anemia (Heinz Body anemia) when fed to cats and dogs. Cats have it worse off because their body already contains about 5% Heinz Bodies as it is, so onions/onion powder (which I have seen in several foods) would just compound the problem. Any type of onions or onion powder should be avoided in dog and cat food for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

The longest living dog lived to be 27 I believe and was vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

heads up! maia tried the halo food (in their puny 4-pound bags) and she LOOOOVES it. like she's obsessed with it right now. we're pretty happy about that except for the fact that it only comes in tiny bags (we're used to buying bags 10 times that size) and the fact that it's really quite expensive. anyhow, it's nice that she likes it so much.

also, we tried the new formulation of v-dog, and she likes it as well(!!)... not as much as the halo, but she's eating it with no problems so far. and no puking this time! yay! it's cheaper than halo, comes in bigger bags, and has free shipping, so we might stick with v-dog for awhile, knowing we have The Amazing And Delicious Halo as a backup when she inevitably gets bored.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:16 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I tried Halo and my dogs like it a lot. My cat also liked it but I had to shoo her away.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]