| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: changes in kitty behavior
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I got my cat Maggie when she was just a few months old; from the start she was always VERY snuggly, friendly, active. By my estimate she must be almost a year old now. Over the last two months I've notice big changes in her behavior. She mostly lays around, she doesn't want to play very much, she doesn't snuggle with me anymore, and doesn't like to be picked up or held much. It makes me sad because I used to love how she would always lay right up on my chest and fall asleep there. ( I have about a million mac photobooth photos of this but after a while they stop ): )

I had her spayed about 5 months ago, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I thought kitties were supposed to get more affectionate after getting fixed. Also, it is summer here so it is warmer, but even on the nights when it gets very cool she's still lethargic and unaffectionate. I'm more distressed than worried I suppose. This is the first kitty I've raised all on my own. Is it normal for cats behavior to change drastically like this as they enter adulthood?

Post subject: Re: changes in kitty behavior
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If she seems really lethargic I would take her to the vet. When cats are sick they try really hard to hide it, so it can be hard to tell, but that can definitely be a sign.

Not to scare you with worst case scenarios but I had a very young cat with a horrible fatal disease and the only symptoms I noticed in the beginning were that she was a little lethargic and eating less. I'm not saying your cat has a horrible and fatal disease but it seems like something might not be right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh no... Yeah I have considered bringing her to the vet but I felt like I was being paranoid. She's not *terribly* lethargic, but it's noticeable. I want to take her in but I'm in a baaad spot with money, I think I'd have to wait a month or more before I could afford to take her in. sigh sigh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Have you heard of CareCredit?
http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

I honestly think with cats, considering how hard they work to hide any illness or discomfort, if you suspect something is not right it's good to get them checked out, don't worry about being too paranoid.

But then again I just lost a kitten last month. So I am probably more paranoid than most.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Hmm checking this out now. I can use it to help pay for the appointment up front?

I'm so sorry to hear that by the way. :( *hugs*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 am 
Naked Under Apron

jaine-pie, i'm with strawberryrock - i'd get her checked out & please keep us posted.

i think for cats, around 1-2 years of age they start getting a little more independent. at least ours did. (i have read that in nature, 1-2 years of age is when naturally they would start to leave their "family unit".) our cats didn't want to play a ton and weren't overly interested in snuggles around that age either. now around ages 3-6 they went crazy with playing and were more affectionate, but then it tapered off again with our oldest 2 when they were around 9-10 or so. i think it's kinda cyclic and such. or can be. during the spring and summer months though they don't want to sleep on the bed or cuddle much while we're hanging out on the couch. some days they want all the attention they can get and other days they kinda hide out and keep to themselves (we have 3 cats - at ages 5, 14 & 16)... i am leaning towards your cat starting to become a little independent, but i would totally get her checked out just in case. cats will for sure hide their illnesses. they're really good at it and sometimes you won't know just how sick they are until they can't hide it well any longer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I agree with taking your kitty to the vet. We adopted Luna when she was four months old and around the time she turned one and a half or two, she did become less active and hyper and snuggly, but she still loves to play and snuggles now and then. She's a very free spirited, independent kitty. You are right that some behavior changes happen with a lot of cats when they transition from kitten to adult, but I'm worried from your description that it's more than that going on with your kitty. I definitely know how it is to struggle with money, but the CareCredit idea is great, and you can also call around and get estimates for the price of a basic check up. Ask your friends what vets they use, ask local rescues if they know of vets that offer good rates. Good luck and keep us posted!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My adult cat Agnes definitely got more independent and less crazy as she got older--like when she was a baby she cuddled with me all night and now she sleeps at the foot of my bed, and she still plays but not quite as much. So it is totally possible that that's just your kitty's personality, but also, when Effie stopped wanting to snuggle and seemed a little more lethargic it was because she was in a ton of pain and I didn't realize it for a while, which I still feel really guilty about. (This was after she was diagnosed, I just didn't realize how much pain she was in until it got worse than that and she was having trouble jumping onto the couch.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Something I actually forgot because she does it so rarely.. She has this weird weeze-cough thing sometimes, and at first I thought she was just passing a hairball/puking but she did it again this morning and it's really concerning me. I'm just going to use my credit card and take her in.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement to take her in. I'll report back. Crossing my fingers it's nothing serious. :<

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

She has a heart murmur. :( They said it could be nothing but because she's had the weezy cough that it could possibly be heart disease. I'm so freaked out and upset. They said untreated heart disease in cats could be fatal. I'm gonna need to get her an ultrasound to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Agnes has a heart murmur too, and she's getting a heart ultrasound soon too.

Did they do bloodwork as well?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i'm so sorry, jaine-pie. i hope it turns out to be a minr murmur and perhaps she just has allergies or something that's causing the wheezing. years ago we had adopted a dog with a heart murmur and she lived to be 16. i will be thinking of you and your kitteh and please keep us updated. sending you both hugs & healthy thoughts...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:47 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

jaine, i'm really glad you took maggie in, and i'm so sorry to hear they found a murmur. i sure hope the ultrasound and any resulting treatment goes well. please keep us posted. me and my fur kids send you and maggie lots of love and healthy vibes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I spoke to the vet about my options and she said the most efficent way to tell upfront what the problem is by doing the ultrasound. I would to bloodwork too but it's like 95 extra.

Thanks you guys for your kind thoughts. My Magpie appreciates it too. Strawberryrock, I hope your kitty's ultrasound goes well too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:36 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm not sure if you saw this thread I started about heart murmurs, but some people shared their stories in it.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21829

I would just make sure that if the heart murmur ends up not being related to her being lethargic, that you get bloodwork done and see if it's something else. Because heart murmurs are often nothing but just because the heart murmur is nothing doesn't mean something else isn't going on. Sorry if I'm all doom and gloom in this thread, obviously I hope your kitty is 100% fine!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

I hope it turns out to be easily treatable, for both your cats srawberryrock and janie-pie. They are lucky to have an owner willing to take her to the vet despite money problems, so many do not bother. I have always had cats. Currenltly I have three, aged 10, 16 and 20, all shelter cats. They can be very expensive, especially the oldest, she has flea allergies and severe arthritis so her meds cost alot. But I would rather pay, they are my responsibility after all, than live with the guilt if they died or if they suffered.

I have only had the oldest cats a couple of years, but the 10 year old Amber I have had all her life. She was a cuddle monster, then chilled when she was mature. She moved in with me permanently when i left home and she now plays and cuddles and even plays with the 16 year old male Whiskey.

Good luck with ultasounds x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It turns out her heart murmur is not caused by anything serious and she does not have heart disease. :))))) The vet said the cough could be caused by an infection from asthma, and recommended antibiotics until I can afford the blood work. Is it bad to give cats antibiotics when you're not 100% sure whats wrong with them?

Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and vibes!! I'm so relieved it's not heart disease. Asthma seems much more treatable, I believe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Glad she will be ok!!

I don't think the vet would suggest the antibiotics if he wasn't sure it would be ok. They normally press for the bloodwork if they are at a loss for diagnosis.

We take our cats to the vet in Petsmart (Banfield) and they offer plans for vet care depending on the age of your cat. You can pay a low monthly fee and get all kinds of services covered under the program. So now when we take the cats in for an annual or teeth cleaning we don't pay anything at the visit. If you have a super healthy young cat it's probably not worth the cost since it's about 300 a year or something like that. But we have it for our older cat since you never know and she needs more care. It's just kind of peace of mine.

http://www.banfield.com/Pet-Owners/Opti ... /Cat-Plans

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

One of my cats has asthma. His progressed to the point that oral steroids wouldn't keep it under control. What he has done very well on is an every other day dose of an inhaled corticosteroid called Flovent. It's administered using a device called an AeroKat.

Just something to keep in mind in case you have the same experience. Some vets aren't as familiar with this protocol. There's lots of info out there about it now. My vet knew about it from a seminar she had gone to regarding feline asthma.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:01 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks for your advice!! I will keep Banfield in mind and check them out. My cat is pretty young, so I'm not sure. That is actually why I'm confused that she has asthma. I hope it's something that can go away, but I'm seeing mixed opinions/info online.

I will ask my vet if she knows the different options, rohai. I'm not sure that she does considering she mentioned how kitties can't use inhaled medicine. If her symptoms progress maybe I'll take her somewhere else if I can afford to.

I'm so proud of my Magpie, she's always so calm when she goes to the vet (3x this week) and takes her pill like a good girl. :3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:29 pm 
Naked Under Apron

jaine-pie - i'm glad to hear she doesn't have heart disease. asthma might be because the pollen and other allergens have been nuts this year. juliebeans has never had allergies (she's 9), but this past May she had a full on break out - we're talking chewing her paws, hair loss, itchiness, lethargy etc. it was sheer madness. the vet put her on steroids and antibiotics (the second vet we saw as her primary care vet wasn't much help_ and she was back to 100% within a few weeks. i don't think they'd take putting her on antibiotics lightly, but in my own experience, a second opinion is always an awesome idea.

kick asparagus on Ms. Magpie being the best at visiting the vet and taking her pill. awwwwww!

thanks for keeping us updated!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

rohai wrote:
One of my cats has asthma. His progressed to the point that oral steroids wouldn't keep it under control. What he has done very well on is an every other day dose of an inhaled corticosteroid called Flovent. It's administered using a device called an AeroKat.

Just something to keep in mind in case you have the same experience. Some vets aren't as familiar with this protocol. There's lots of info out there about it now. My vet knew about it from a seminar she had gone to regarding feline asthma.

I have two cats with asthma and they use this same protocol. It works very well, but you have to have patience so the kitty tolerates the Aerokat. I and my vet think an inhaler is a great way to get the medicine directly to the lungs. Good luck! Also, just a heads up that Flovent is expensive.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]