| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scooby is having surgery :-(
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

He's having surgery to repair a ruptured cranial cruciate ligament. He had torn the ligament in his left hind leg before I adopted him and we decided not to do surgery to repair it then as he had some other health issues and I didn't want to put him through surgery. He was coping really well just being on pain medication, but now he's torn the ligament in the right leg, too.

He's having surgery on the right leg tomorrow. He's already almost 10 years old and I'm worried about him being under anaesthetic. I'm worried about the recovery period -- it will be 8-12 weeks before he's back to "normal" -- and how he'll cope with the activity restrictions while he's healing.

Has anyone else had a dog go through this?

Post subject: Re: Scooby is having surgery :-(
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awww...I can't help with answering your questions but I hope everything comes out okay for Scooby! <3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

seitanicverses wrote:
Awww...I can't help with answering your questions but I hope everything comes out okay for Scooby! <3

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I can't answer your questions for a dog, but my horse went through surgery 6 years ago to repair a cranial cruciate ligament tear and maybe our experience might be a little helpful? He was very active (13 year old at the time and 8 years off the track) at the time and was a little nuts handling the activity restriction, which in his case was stall rest and 10 minutes a day of hand walking. However, despite the many moments he spent in the air and running away during his recovery, he's now a happy and active 19 who has no problems galloping around the field with his buddies. It certainly improved his quality of life.

General anaesthesia is always a bit scary, but I'm sure he'll be okay. Good luck to Scooby!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope the surgery goes well! I haven't had a personal dog go through this, but we've had a few shelter dogs who had this surgery. They all came through fine. Activity restriction is tough, but we did things like feeding their meals in food dispensing toys instead of bowls, so it would give them something interesting to do. And you can use clicker training to teach some things that don't involve movement, like targeting a hand or object with their nose.

You might want to find out about physical therapy options too. My dog sees a physical therapist, and she says a lot of vets just say "cage rest" after operations, when it would be way more beneficial to have the dog on a planned physical therapy program.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:48 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Sending tons of love to you and Scooby. To be honest, I've never had a dog, but I had a gerbil that was over two years old (which is old for gerbils) and she went under anesthetic every six weeks because she needed her teeth trimmed. (Long story- her bottom teeth broke off- they never grew back- so her top teeth would just grow all the way down through her jaw without medical intervention.) Anyway, it can be scary with an older pet going into surgery, but vets are awesome and take great care to use the right amount of anesthetic based on body weight, metabolism, and age. Please let us know how the surgery goes! Hugs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Our lab had to have surgery reconstructive surgery on both her knees this past year. The healing time was four months per knee, but she had the second surgery two months after the first, so total healing time was six months. Honestly, it was so much easier to keep her calm than we thought it would be. The first two weeks for each surgery(I think.. I was at uni for a lot of her healing time) she was on pain meds, and that kept her pretty calm, which was good because she was only allowed to walk around to go to the bathroom as needed. After that, her activity level was slowly allowed to increase. They gave us a recovery plan to follow, and it seemed to be pretty inline with what she was up to as she was healing. It seemed like every time what she was allowed to do wasn't enough to satisfy her, it was time to increase her activity again. There was a few times (especially at the end of her healing period) where she'd all of a sudden grab a toy and try to run around the house, but other than that it was pretty easy to make sure she wasn't over exerting herself while she was healing.

I totally get being nervous about anesthesia. It freaks me out anytime one of my fur babies has to go under, no matter for how long.

I hope everything goes well and he heals up quickly <3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:13 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I hope the surgery goes well! I haven't had a personal dog go through this, but we've had a few shelter dogs who had this surgery. They all came through fine. Activity restriction is tough, but we did things like feeding their meals in food dispensing toys instead of bowls, so it would give them something interesting to do. And you can use clicker training to teach some things that don't involve movement, like targeting a hand or object with their nose.

You might want to find out about physical therapy options too. My dog sees a physical therapist, and she says a lot of vets just say "cage rest" after operations, when it would be way more beneficial to have the dog on a planned physical therapy program.

The recovery plan the vet gave me says I should do different things in each week - range of motion exercises, walking in figure eights, stand-up/sit-down exercises. He also said there's an indoor pool for dogs in my city so I can take him swimming. Is there anything else I should be doing physiotherapy-wise?

Simply_Love wrote:
Our lab had to have surgery reconstructive surgery on both her knees this past year.

I'm glad your dog came through it ok! Scooby is also a lab -- well, a lab mix (border collie).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Awww I'm sure with your TLC he'll be just fine :) good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Well, the vet said the surgery itself went very well. The recovery ... not so much.

Scooby was supposed to stay overnight at the clinic, but after coming out from the anaesthetic he was so stressed out, they suggested I take him home for the night. The sedatives they gave him weren't working -- when they put him in a crate, he bit at the bars. When they put him in a quiet room, he bit at the walls. He's nothing like that at home. The idea was that once he was back in his own home, he'd be able to relax. He didn't. He spent all night crying and panting and trying to get up and walk around. I didn't sleep all night, just tried to calm him down and make sure he didn't hurt himself. He was on painkillers and an anti-inflammatory so I think it was stress and not solely pain.

The vet's office opened at 7:30 this morning so I called and they prescribed some valium for him. It worked for a few hours, but he started getting crazy again. And at that time we had to go back to the vet so they could take off his bandage. They said the stitches looked really good, considering how wound up he was and how active he had been. So at least that's good.

We got a prescription for Xanax for him instead of continuing with the valium. I'm not sure why they switched it. I think it was explained to me but I'm so tired I don't remember. He got it an hour or so ago, and while he's more relaxed, he's still not in any kind of resting state.

We had to did the xanax from a human pharmacy and I waited in the parking lot with him, some guy forgot to put his parking break on, and his car rolled backwards into mine. For fork's sake. Like I need one more thing.

I am at the end of my rope here. I've had no sleep. I can't even eat. I'm so worried. He's been in anxiety freak-out mode for 24 hours. He's barely slept. Maybe a few hours after getting the valium.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Whoa, that's horrible for both of you! Chester had hip surgery after dislocating his hip - having it wrapped - and then dislocating it again 10 days later (the doctor found that when she operated him that the ligament attaching the ball into the socket was completely popped, it never had a chance of staying in). His reaction was quite the opposite, morose and quiet and he lost five pounds because he wouldn't eat after every time he had to go to the vet.

However, I also worried a lot because of his safety and him not supposed to be walking up/down stairs or jumping, and my father-in-law refused to abide by my 'if you don't want to actually watch him, don't let him loose' rule, so I got him something like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... p%3B+Doors

Mine is metal, taller, and was cheaper. It was big enough for a bed, food, water, a few toys, and he wouldn't like, roll from the bed into his food. Obviously it won't help with the freaking out, but at least he'll have a safe, contained space.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:40 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks for the suggestion MrsBadMouth. I don't think the pen would work though. Just being confined to the living room made him so anxious. He's calmer and actually moving less now that he can move around the first floor. I know I'm supposed to keep him more confined than that, but I don't think I can without him hurting himself.

He is calmer today. He actually slept for a few hours when I was at the office. Or, at least, he was sleeping in his favourite spot when I came home. I think the xanax is helping.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

I hope he's feeling even better today. That's really unusual to have such a bad reaction. In terms of the op, i've seen probably 50 (at least) including all the different types and yet more post op checks and except maybe 1 or 2 later down the line they've all been fine. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Scooby is much better today! He was getting crazy again last night so after talking to the vet again, we decided to take off his fentanyl patch and try a different pain killer, one he had had before. What a difference!
The vet thinks he may have had a reaction to the fentanyl -- it's a really strong pain killer, in the same class as morphine. My poor doggie's been on a bad trip.

He's been more like himself today -- wagging his tail and giving kisses! And he's calmer about my husband and I helping him up and down stairs, using the cold compress and everything. I'm so relieved!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awww...poor Scooby and his bummer fentanyl trip! Glad he's doing better. Yippee!!! Wishing him a speedy reocvery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

That's great that you seem to have found the cause! Hopefully the rest of his recovery is a breeze in comparison. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

PeaBeeJay wrote:
The vet thinks he may have had a reaction to the fentanyl -- it's a really strong pain killer, in the same class as morphine. My poor doggie's been on a bad trip.

Huh. Interesting. We had a 4 month old puppy several years ago who had hip surgery. He woke up after surgery and was completely flipping out, lunging and biting people and shrieking. The vet said she had never seen a reaction like it. She said there was no way it could have been caused by pain because he had a fentanyl patch that was so strong "he shouldn't be able to feel a thing". Now I wonder if he was having a reaction to the fentanyl.

I'm glad Scooby is feeling better now! I hope his recovery goes smoothly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:33 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's been a week since the surgery and Scooby is doing really well!

He doesn't even mind the cone of shame much.