| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fleas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So we appear to have a flea infestation. We've treated the cats and the house, but they are still obviously present, jumping out of carpets and nibbling us, and the cats are scratching. We rang the vet and she said to take one of them in as they would give us some super strong stuff but needed to see the cat first. The vet said most of the fleas on the cat were dead. We sprayed the house again with the super strong stuff but they are still there.

This morning I have washed our duvet. We are going away tonight but tomorrow when we get back we can treat the cats again, so I'm going to do that, respray the house and vacuum everywhere. But I am worried about what the next step is if they still don't go. Has anyone ever had their house treated by professionals?

Post subject: Re: Fleas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Efcliz - i haven't had a flea infestation on that level before but i've got a question for you - are you throwing out the vacuum bag each time after you vacuum? or are you emptying the vacuum container out and taking it away from the house after each vacuuming? fleas will breed inside the bags & get out to re-infest your home.

i'm sorry you're having to deal with this though - it's got to be super frustrating!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:55 am 

Thanks, yes, I didn't always used to but have made sure I have done these last few weeks.

The worst thing now is that even when they aren't jumping on me they feel as if they are.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

gotcha. that's good you're taking the bag out now!

a friend of mine had fleas in her home pretty bad a few years back - i remember visiting and when i left i felt like they were on me, even though they weren't. it just gets in your head. eep!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:14 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I've heard leaving salt on the floors/carpets dries them out/kills them. Either that or borax. But borax is poisonous so with kitties around I wouldn't do that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:34 am 
Tofu Pup

you can spray the flea spray into the hoover too. My family's house had this when I used to live there. I hoovered literally everything, cushions, carpets, curtains, rugs, bedding. Every corner, under all furniture. Then you spray evrything, then hoover up the dead fleas and eggs a little later. Any soft furnishings that could go in the washing machien were washed on high temp too. It worked but her cats still get occasional fleas despite flea spot on, as they are outdoor cats. One cat is allergic to fleas though so the poor thing is almost bald from overgrooming. They won't make it an indoor cat though :(

One of my cats has a flea allergy, she was bald and scabby when we got her a year ago. They are indoor cats and we treat them all regularly so she healed quickly, but last week it started again, despite no sign of fleas. She has had anti inflammatories and I did the full on house spray like you have done, so hoping it will work.

You could do a real intense blitz on one room, so you know it is D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y flea free. Remove as much furniture and bedding as possible so fleas cant hide and lay eggs. Then treat the cats and confine them to the room for a few days (or however long the flea life cycle is) whilst you do the rest of the house. Not tried this myself but I am considering it for my allergic cat if she doesn't heal soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:22 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Ok I'm pretty freaked out right now thinking I might have fleas in the house. I have flea treatments I bought like 5 months ago when my cat was smaller (for cats 5-9lbs). My cat is 13 pounds now, can I still use it on her? With her other bills I dont know how I can buy more!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:37 am 

Well, we still have them. There's nowhere near as many, like, you really have to looking for them now but they're still there. I'm hoping that the last really big spray/clean all the bedding everywere blitz got them, and these are just a couple of old eggs hatching and if I do another big spray they will be finished. I did ring a company about coming. They said they had to spray 3 times and the cats have to be out of the house for at least a day and even then they need those collar things from the vets to stop them licking surfaces. Even if I did have anywhere they could go for 3 days, all my friends have cats and it's just not fair to give them flead up cats for a day. Ug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:34 am 
Tofu Pup

janie-pie maybe you could give her one and a half doses at a time? best ring the vet, can't charge for ringing :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So, I'm in this boat. My 12-year-old cat has never had fleas before. He's primarily indoor, although husband let him outside for an hour or so last week without telling me for reasons unknown (he grew up with outdoor cats, my family had indoor cats. It's a cultural gap for sure).

I discovered yesterday that my cat was losing hair in patches, and freaked out and immediately googled about..Nothing really fit except stress (moving + recently walking baby are big kitty stressors, I imagine) and so I'm freaking out wondering how I'm going to keep the baby from harassing him, or what I'll do about us having to move yet again in another year and a half or so.. when I notice the little brown specks of flea turd and some of the specks move and I figure it out finally.

Since then I made an appointment with the vet. that got pushed back to tomorrow night, so today after consulting w/ vet friends, I buy and apply frontline plus, go on as much of a vacuuming spree as I can with a baby underfoot.. Ugh. According to the receptionist I talked to at the vet's, though, this has been a terrible summer for fleas here (SoCal). How's everyone else doing with their flea colonies?

I don't know how this started. Our stuff was in storage for a few months during the move, so something could've gotten fleaed-on then, or it could've been the cat going outside.. I suspect it has something to do with something in the guest room because I noticed my daughter was full of fleas after poking around there when I was out of the room for a minute (shifting all the bedding laundry, sigh). This could be his cat tree most likely, or possibly the carpets - I don't know if the previous tenants may have had pets. so it could just be a side effect of the cat having flea issues or it could be a source of fleas, I don't know? I'm thinking about throwing his cat tree out, I'd been considering it anyway since the thing's kind of mangy and gross. He hung out a bunch in that room when my MIL was visiting, but as far as I know hasn't much since then. I feel like there are so many variables.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:00 am 

Our cats are all fully outside, but usually the frontline does it in one go; our vet also says it's been terrible here this year. Carpets are usually the main culprit; have you bought the stuff to spray on them?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:59 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I haven't heard of any product that's recommended for carpets (beyond vacuuming and steam cleaning). What do you use? With the cat and baby running around I'm hoping to avoid anything too toxic.. actually I'm holding out hope that taking care of the cat and vigilantly vacuuming will do the trick. This is the first place we've had in years with carpeting, and even though it's almost flat I'm a little annoyed about that, I hate carpet. Looks like I have yet another reason now!

I have kept the a/c on throughout the house for the last 24 hours.. usually I don't do that, but although it's not very hot here it has been fairly humid, and I think it might help to dehumidify a bit. I was reading about life cycles on wikipedia, thinking a solution might just be to keep the cat in the front of the house for a few days to make the vacuuming easier, but the life cycle is 2 weeks TO TWO YEARS. Ugh. So a partial-house quarantine is not going to work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:22 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i'm hoping your flea problems are all cured now. here in N. California, our flea season was just at it's height and i've had the first infestation in decades (1 dog, 2 cats). i got a recommendation for diatomaceous earth, which is non-toxic, though you want to avoid breathing it so wear a mask when you are sprinkling it around. you sprinkle it everywhere and after 4-7 days vacuum it up - it works by drying out the fleas.

what a plague!