Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Soft paws sanitary?
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22475
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Quarantined [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Soft paws sanitary?

So I tried googling this and searched the PPK but couldn't find anything- sorry if it has been asked before.

I'm asking this for a friend- she is trying to convince another acquaintance not to get his cat declawed, and suggested Soft Paws, but he is worried that they are not sanitary because of the cat using the litter box and then trapping bits in them, I guess. has anyone who has used Soft Paws had any experience with this so that she can reassure him?

Author:  esme [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

they're glued to their nail and they're very snug, so there really isn't anywhere for litter to get trapped. even if they weren't super snug, litter would get blocked by the glue.

Author:  Quarantined [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

esme wrote:
they're glued to their nail and they're very snug, so there really isn't anywhere for litter to get trapped. even if they weren't super snug, litter would get blocked by the glue.

ok, I asked some more questions because that's what I thought too, and it seems that he is concerned that his cat won't get accustomed to the Soft Paws and then will refuse to touch/clean them after being in the litterbox. this doesn't make too much sense to me, it seems like he's just fixated on the declawing and won't change his mind.

Anyone have any experience with cats not wanting to clean their paws after putting on the Soft Paws?

Author:  b.vicious [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

I don't know the answer to this specific question, but here's some more anti-declawing info to add to your friend's arsenal.

- the cat won't be able to defend itself if it gets outside for some reason
- the cat may resort to biting - and in my experience, they're often much better at swatting gently than biting gently!
- it can cause permanent nerve damage
- it can cause back pain (because the paws will meet the floor at an unusual angle)

Also if Soft Paws are unappealing, he could always just trim the cats nails. If he doesn't want to do it himself he can have a vet do it, or a groomer (even at places like Petsmart) - my vet only charges $10 per trim, I think.

Author:  Quarantined [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

b.vicious, thanks so much! That info is very helpful. My friend is going to pass that on.

Author:  mollyjade [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

Declawing is permanent. Softpaws are temporary. Seems like common sense to try the easier, less invasive, reversible option first, no? At least that would be my argument.

Author:  raspberrycomplaint [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

b.vicious wrote:
I don't know the answer to this specific question, but here's some more anti-declawing info to add to your friend's arsenal.

- the cat won't be able to defend itself if it gets outside for some reason
- the cat may resort to biting - and in my experience, they're often much better at swatting gently than biting gently!
- it can cause permanent nerve damage
- it can cause back pain (because the paws will meet the floor at an unusual angle)

Yes, and also many cats who are declawed will start urinating and/or defecating outside the litterbox. It's a very painful surgery, and if post-surgery scratching around in the litterbox causes the cat pain, he could start thinking "litterbox=ouch. I will pee elsewhere." We have a cat at the shelter who is a wonderful, sweet, beautiful cat... and is unadoptable because she was declawed at 6 months old and always pees outside the box. We've had her for over 4 years now, and still have not been able to get her to urinate in a litterbox. Scratched up furniture may not be pretty, but it's still 100% nicer than a home covered in piss.

There are several things you can do to help keep cats from scratching furniture and/or people, if that is why they are considering declawing. There is info on why declawing is bad, as well as info on alternatives to keep cats from scratching here: http://www.declawing.com/. Maybe your friend can pass that link along.

Author:  esme [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

Quarantined wrote:
he is concerned that his cat won't get accustomed to the Soft Paws and then will refuse to touch/clean them after being in the litterbox. this doesn't make too much sense to me, it seems like he's just fixated on the declawing and won't change his mind.

this makes no sense to me either... but if it makes him feel better, jack has never had any sort of cleanliness issues while wearing softpaws.

so weird.

Author:  Quarantined [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Yes, and also many cats who are declawed will start urinating and/or defecating outside the litterbox. It's a very painful surgery, and if post-surgery scratching around in the litterbox causes the cat pain, he could start thinking "litterbox=ouch. I will pee elsewhere." We have a cat at the shelter who is a wonderful, sweet, beautiful cat... and is unadoptable because she was declawed at 6 months old and always pees outside the box. We've had her for over 4 years now, and still have not been able to get her to urinate in a litterbox. Scratched up furniture may not be pretty, but it's still 100% nicer than a home covered in piss.

There are several things you can do to help keep cats from scratching furniture and/or people, if that is why they are considering declawing. There is info on why declawing is bad, as well as info on alternatives to keep cats from scratching here: http://www.declawing.com/. Maybe your friend can pass that link along.

thank you, that is really good info, and I passed that along. This guy is being a huge jerk and refuses to reconsider, but maybe the idea of the cat peeing around his house might make him think.

Author:  Quarantined [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

esme wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
he is concerned that his cat won't get accustomed to the Soft Paws and then will refuse to touch/clean them after being in the litterbox. this doesn't make too much sense to me, it seems like he's just fixated on the declawing and won't change his mind.

this makes no sense to me either... but if it makes him feel better, jack has never had any sort of cleanliness issues while wearing softpaws.

so weird.

It is so strange. It sounds like he's just making excuses because he thinks declawing is the easiest thing for him.

Author:  1strangegirlbygolly! [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

If anything, and not that this is good , mind you, but my two cats who had softpaws on them actually OVERgroomed their paws. What I think they were actually doing is trying to rip them off with their teeth! But they definitely licked their paws, too. A lot.

Author:  dakini [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

Why does your friend want to declaw his cat? Is it a furniture concern?
I have two cats, not declawed. We have lots of things for them to scratch on, like scratching posts and cat trees, and they have been fine.

eta: And I have heard soft paws are great, just haven't used them personally.

Author:  seitanicverses [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

I had one vet tell me that if people trimmed their cats claws regularly, they would never need worry about their furniture. Maybe it's true, my Thurstles paws have always been regularly trimmed and he's hardly pulled any threads. He has charged a few times at my screen door which caused some small holes, but no furniture damage. He claws the back of my office chair all the time for years now and I just checked back there and there is not one pulled thread from his blunt trimmed claw paws.

Author:  Quarantined [ Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

This guy says that he had the vet clip her nails and minutes after arriving home she still climbed the dining room chair and a window screen- apparently he lives with his mother and she is really intolerant of cats scratching or something. ugh, I don't get why people think declawing is even an option.

I did pass on all the info about clipping, thanks. I will also mention the scratching posts, etc. If she is a kitten, she'll probably grow out of the climbing screens, etc.

Author:  b.vicious [ Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

It's funny how some people will get a cat - especially a kitten! - and then act all surprised when it does cat things. Have you ever met a cat before?

Author:  Quarantined [ Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

b.vicious wrote:
It's funny how some people will get a cat - especially a kitten! - and then act all surprised when it does cat things. Have you ever met a cat before?

seriously- get a stuffed animal or a Tamagotchi if that's how you feel about it. Otherwise, cats have claws, deal it it instead of ripping them out. ugh.

Author:  Pi. [ Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

I trim my cats nails weekly, but they can still shred stuff. Maybe I need to trim them more often and file them or something. They seem to grow unevenly and quite fast. I don't have anything that it matters if they shred, so we do okay. I'm going to start trying to get them used to softpaws so that if I move I don't have to worry about other people's furniture!

Author:  GraciaKai [ Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

I used Softpaws on my cat when she was kitten. But after a few rounds of it she was older and beyond done. And by that time I had her trained properly to not scratch the furniture so it wasn't an issue. She hated them being on though and I felt bad doing it, so I've never used them again after that. But there was no issue with hygiene or stuff getting in them.

I think if you have plenty of scratching post and use non-scratch spray, with a little training and guidance you shouldn't have any issues with cats scratching the furniture too much. Curtains are another issue entirely!

Author:  Pi. [ Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

I just put softpaws on one of my cats! I glued many of my own fingers together in the process. She meowed when I put each one on but otherwise didn't seem to mind (she also meows some when I trim her nails. My other cat will be more difficult... I'll do him another day, once I see if these stay on the first cat... aka, did I do it right?

Author:  Quarantined [ Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

Pi. wrote:
I just put softpaws on one of my cats! I glued many of my own fingers together in the process. She meowed when I put each one on but otherwise didn't seem to mind (she also meows some when I trim her nails. My other cat will be more difficult... I'll do him another day, once I see if these stay on the first cat... aka, did I do it right?

pics!

I haven't heard anything back about this guy. I'm assuming he is going to go ahead with declawing, which sucks, but thanks for all your input. At least we tried to convince him otherwise.

Author:  Fizzgig [ Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Soft paws sanitary?

Ugh, jerkfaces are the worst for the poor little babies at their mercy. Benjamin has been wearing softpaws since he was a wee kitteh and I think he likes looking stylish. It also means he doesn't get in trouble for doing kitty things like stretching up the chair arms. He grooms himself the same with and without them on...I hope this guy decided to not be a jerk.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/