| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Female dog question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:42 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Bella's my first female dog, I've only had males before her.
Twice last week I noticed that she doesn't seem to be able to hold her pee.
She's not eliminating in the house, it's just slowly dripping out of her as if she didn't notice.
I first saw it when we were on the front porch getting ready for a walk, she got up from where she was sitting and I saw a small puddle, and she dripped all the way down the front stairs. Then yesterday again, we were inside just before going for a walk and when she got up there was a puddle under her. I took her out right away and she kept dripping a bit, but she wasn't rushing to go to the bathroom. We drove to the park and there was nothing in the car and she did her usual thing on the trail. I didn't think she went more often than usual.

Any ideas? I'm planning to take her to the vet and am trying to find out in the meantime when she got spayed from the foster mom, she's a rescue. She's only 2 years so it is not an age related issue.

This is important to me, we frequently visit friends and family over weekends and she always comes with us.

Post subject: Re: Female dog question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Sasha does this as well. She will sometimes dribble, other times she'll be asleep for a while on her chair and will get up and there will be a big wet spot. We talked to her vet and he said it most commonly happens with females that have been spayed. I can't remember what happens, something about low hormones or something like that. Anyway, they gave us a pill (I'm really sorry I'm pretty much useless this morning and can't remember what the drug is or whether it was a hormone thing or something else) that we give her if she has an accident or if we notice any dribbling and then she is fine for sometimes months before she'll have another accident (before it was pretty much a daily occurrence).

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

the prescription alden got might have been phenylpropanolamine; it helps improve muscle tone in the bladder and stop the dribbling. but your dog might also have something as simple as a urinary tract infection. it's good that you're taking her to the vet; hopefully you'll be able to sort it out without too much trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

We had a female dog that had this issue. We gave her a pill for it (something that they gave to pregnant women decades ago that caused birth defects) and she was fine after that. I can't remember if the pill was daily or weekly or what, but she took it regularly for the rest of her life. It was cheap and we got it at the human pharmacy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dribbling is often a side effect of spaying because they need estrogen to help keep their urethral muscles tight. :(

I'd still go to the vet but that's prob what it is. You can get PPA or estrogen pills prescribed. We used doggie diapers on our girl because she was really good at picking pills out of her food.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My dog is just starting this as well. She is a 12 year old spayed female, so I'm hoping that it's just hormonal, because that's an easy fix. It doesn't smell like a UTI, just normal pee. Mostly it seems that she dribbles a teeny tiny bit right after she pees. It doesn't get on the floor or anything because she has so much hair, but it means I am constantly having to wash the hair on her hind end because of the urine smell. So, time for another vet visit I guess.... sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:02 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

acr wrote:
the prescription alden got might have been phenylpropanolamine; it helps improve muscle tone in the bladder and stop the dribbling. but your dog might also have something as simple as a urinary tract infection. it's good that you're taking her to the vet; hopefully you'll be able to sort it out without too much trouble.

I finally remembered to check once I got home and saw the bottle, that's exactly what it is, 50mg.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa